• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

do you plan to hack your 3ds/wii u systems? (or have you?)

will you/have you hacked your 3ds/wii u systems

• I already hacked my 3ds

• I plan to hack my 3ds

• I haven't decided if I'll hack my 3ds

• I'm not planning on hacking my 3ds

• I already hacked my wii u

• I plan to hack my wii u

• I haven't decided if I'll hack my wii u

• I'm not planning on hacking my wii u

• I don't own a 3ds

• I don't own a wii u

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bells
Island
she/they
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
with the upcoming online shutdown of both systems effectively making various things from the obvious online play unavailable to even certain things in games being rendered completely unobtainable, do you plan to do a bit of tinkering to just be able to reaccess otherwise lost goods and/or features, or for any other purposes?

AS A REMINDER, WHILE THIS QUESTION IS ASKING ABOUT IF USERS PLAN TO HACK THEIR SYSTEMS, DISCUSSION OF HACKING METHODOLOGY, HOW TO, ETC IS STILL STRICTLY OFF THE TABLE, PER TBT RULES. INFORMATION ON OR LEADS TO SHOULD NOT BE DISCUSSED. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH, BUT ALSO BE MINDFUL OF THE RISKS, INCLUDING AND UP TO YOUR SYSTEM BEING RENDERED COMPLETELY INOPERABLE (AND COMPLETELY UNREPAIRABLE BY NINTENDO, DUE TO A BREACH OF THEIR TOS, IF THEY'D EVEN BOTHER TO BEGIN WITH)

also, for the question, the new 3ds and 2ds models count too, as they're in the same umbrella family of 3ds systems. and any users with multiples of a system can just treat it as whichever is most leaning towards "yes", if any, for the voting (so if you have a 2ds and 3ds plan to hack the 2ds but leave the 3ds unhacked, then you can simply vote 'I plan to hack my 3ds')

i hacked my 3ds shortly after the closure of the eshop, and i’ve downloaded close to 200 games so far! i mainly play animal crossing, garfield kart, cooking mama: sweet shop, and games in the pokémon franchise :lemon:

I have not, but I plan to hack my 3ds. My original 3ds' battery exploded and I thought it was done for, but the other year I realised how easy it was to swap the battery and decided to test to see if it would still work or battery acid had damaged other stuff, but it turned on with the new battery! Since I have a second 3ds now, I plan to hack it in the future to access some content that is no longer sold on the eshop

Before this post I haven't really decided, but now that online services are shutting down, there's pretty much little downside to me if I plan to hack my 3DS. I don't play with my 3DS anymore anyway so might as well make the most out of it once I can 👀 Plus I've been eyeing those hacked towns in ACNL for soooo long, they are so pretty!!

i hadn't thought about it but that makes total sense since they're shutting off the online system anyways. maybe if i'm ever bored enough i will consider it.

I used to hack my Wii U when I had it, but only for Splatoon gear. I didn't have time to grind so just got a set of perfect swimming gear and then never did it again

I modded my 2DS. Nothing fancy or extra, but I wanted access to the stuff on the shop after it got taken down.

My Wii U was modded for Smash Brothers and nothing else. (though it might have homebrew on it c: I would have to check).

I already hacked my 3ds years ago for NL, it's worth doing as long as you're careful and paying close attention to guides. I might do it again in the future for discontinued eshop stuff.

2 years ago I bought another 3DS simply for modding, I was upset about the EShop closure looming over us and decided to just pull the trigger so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm glad I did so when I did and I hope modders can find a way to restore online services for both consoles quickly after shut down! Half the magic of a lot of 3DS games (New Leaf especially) is the ability to play with others. It was apparent this day would come eventually, but it still sucks. The DS modding community being able to restore online functionality to those consoles though brings me hope for the future of the 3DS!

i’ve always been curious about doing something like this but i think i would need to have a spare non-modified console as a backup. since i don’t i just keep it stock :) would be nice to have access to all the games tho

I've had a hacked 3DSXL for a few years now, and when I got my second 3DSXL a few years ago, I hacked it as well. it's nice because I can back up my save files, especially my New Leaf towns (my very first town corrupted back in 2015, wish I could've saved it back then), and I can also use a save editor though I don't use it to cheat, just to give myself a boost (like placing a villager I want in the campsite, just like finding someone online who has them in boxes). I can also run a DS emulator on there, I can download GBA games reserved only for the 3DS Ambassador Program, I can create custom Virtual Console files/games, I can install custom themes, and more. It's the reason why the 3DS is one of my favourite game consoles of all time, and I still play it regularly.

I'm thinking that someone will create a proxy server for New Leaf once online functionality shuts down, but it's hard to tell if it'll require a hacked 3DS or not, and I doubt that any of my friends will partake in it anyway. it's really sad because I love playing New Leaf online with friends, but such is life.

Well I have 4 3DS… I know I know. 😅 Two I don’t really use anymore other than for extra streetpasses. One of those was my very first one an original XL which I later switched to a New XL when those came out. So I then used the original XL as a secondary device.

More recently I switched both of those over to an original small 3DS (secondary) and New small 3DS (main) as I prefer them to the XLs. I don’t have the heart to get rid of my XLs though as I’ve had them since 2013 and 2016.

All that being said, I did end up hacking/modding the original 3DS (secondary) to give it custom themes and to get some things on it I could no longer get. I’m on the fence to doing that to my New 3DS (main) however as it is packed with legitimate purchases and so far pretty much has what I need/want on it. Plus anything that does require modded software can just be done on my secondary device anyways. So for now my main will remain Unmodded. If third party servers get up and running well then I’d probably consider modding my main to play online again but we’ll see. Both of my XLs are Unmodded as well as I don’t really use them much.

Edit: forgot this thread included the Wii U as well. Right now my Wii U is unmodded as I don’t really have the need/want to at the moment. If however third party online servers get up and running I’d totally consider it same as with my main 3DS. (I’d love to be able to continue playing Splatoon 1 online. Without online it’s just a shell of a game unfortunately).

Also I didn’t end up voting in the poll as more than two choices apply to me. (I’m a rare exception I know 😅)

Last edited:
ive already hacked my 3ds and wii u a while ago 🔥
Welcome to the club, Ecstasy. How's it feel to sit with the cool kids? 😎 I've done the same to my Nintendo Switch, as a matter of fact! Just remember to keep your elbows off the table. We have a reputation to keep here... 😎

Before this post I haven't really decided, but now that online services are shutting down, there's pretty much little downside to me if I plan to hack my 3DS. I don't play with my 3DS anymore anyway so might as well make the most out of it once I can 👀 Plus I've been eyeing those hacked towns in ACNL for soooo long, they are so pretty!!
Life update, came around to hacking my 3DS and I finally have access to so many games I'm so excited!! Feels nice to be back using an actual 3DS in playing games I used to play on emulator lol. I still need to learn how to mod my ACNL game but that's for another time, now I'm just reliving my inner child of being able to access tons of games 🥹🥹🥹

i've been considering it for a while and i think i will! although, i just think i'm just gonna use one of those mail-in services on etsy and get someone else to do it for me because i'm too scared of accidentally goofing up and killing my ds forever lol

Last edited:
I hacked my 3DS last December, after considering it for a long time, because I became too paranoid about losing everything if it (after twelve years) crossed over to the other side, or if scary data corruption showed its ugly face. I have backups now, since without them, I probably never would have touched my 3DS again out of fear. Yes, I treasure it very much.

As for the Wii U, I know it is very fickle with hacking, and I don't use it very much; especially since my original one bricked due to not being used over long periods of time. I have a new one now, but I lost my City Folk file (which cannot be saved to an external drive due to having online play), so I don't really care for anything on there anymore. I still own the game's physical copy, but I plan to emulate it, if I ever get back to it.

Back