• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Have you hacked/edited your town, or would?

I'd love to put trees in areas you otherwise couldn't, but in the end I enjoy the game in its pure form (with a little bit of time travelling :p)

Last edited:
I've seem people put trees everywhere, even under water... and don't really like it :(

There's some interesting things you can do with save editing and RAM dumps. I'm not going to link HOW to do this **** as google is a thing and some of these exploits in the wrong hands would be catastrophic (Namely Dream Town RAM dumping), but I've found that doing this crazy stuff actually made me play MORE, not less. Vinetown's a good example of some of the crazy things you can do with your town, funnily enough, as it's an exact copy, map-wise, of Vinny from Vinesauce's dream town.

Did you know that when you upload your dream town, you are just giving Nintendo your whole save, including designs, what you have in your main street, what you and any player characters have in thier pockets, EVERYTHING? Did you know that the Train Station lockers are actually an item that you can put in your house, and it works just like the real ones, even if you aren't the person who owns the house it's in? Di you know that if you place a tree stump right next to the river, you can use it to drop into the river for easy fishing? Did you know that having more than three bridges causes either the game to crash or causes a "ghost bridge"? Or that if you place a villager house either on the edge of a cliff or just slightly on a railroad track it makes it's own walkway, allowing you to float over the cliff or easily get out of bounds? or that special events like the Thanksgiving table, Redd's tent, Redd's stand, and the holiday cutouts are listed in code as hidden works projects, allowing you through hacking to place them wherever you want as public works projects?

I didn't know any of this stuff before hacking, and it was interesting to experiment with it (and I'm still experimenting!). Maybe that's just me though, I love how seeing how a game works.

Ugh, I just saw videos of people with hacked towns and I want to so bad! But I really don't wanna mess up my 3DS or my save file if something goes wrong :(

I love how some hacked towns look, but I'd never try it out. I'd be too anxious about it, and that defeats the purpose of playing for me. :blush:

i'd only hack so i could change my mayor's name (if that's even possible) since i was an idiot and gave her my real name. other than that tho, i'm good

Last edited:
What does it care the name? :confused: Nobody will know it's the real yours unless you tell them...

I used Homebrew and svdt to dump my ACNL saves from the card to SD card. I only used the RAM Editor like a few times

Is hacking allowed to be mentioned now?

I hacked my game as I had an old DS that wasn't updated yet, and it's really cool some of the things you can, though I found having so much control over the save took even longer to set up my town since I had way more options. Hacking was extremely useful when I wanted to replace a bridge with another type, I could just change the ID for it rather than have to delete it, an than Isabelle tell me I couldn't rebuild it due to a house being to close.

Part of the reason why I stopped posting on this forum/using it was because the admins wouldn't allow any talk of hacking what so ever, and most people were pretty rude about it. But I'm glad to see that seems to be changing now, as I know a lot of people wouldn't hack their games but still just wanted to be able to ask questions :)

I feel like the more control and the more choice I'm given in the game, the more overwhelmed I get and the more likely it'll that I just give up and stop playing. So I probably won't/wouldn't do it? Even though I LOVE the look of hacked towns, and love what you can do with them, like putting weeds and clovers in ponds. ☘

But it's okay, the more ambitious I get, the less I play. So I'm happy in my little confinement.

Last edited:
i would, only for the sake of moving my animal houses into a straight line lol
currently they are almost a straight line... almost -_-;

I did once, but it killed the fun. No matter how little I changed I couldn't help but think I cheated. So, I reset my town and decided to not hack again, even though I still have access to hbl. I'm currently only using it to keep backups.

Back