• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Did you decorate your town?

Flaming_Oceans

Daydreaming
Bells
Pink Balloon
Chinese Dragon Head
Chinese Dragon Body
Chinese Dragon Tail
Sinister Lantern
Blue Rocket Pop
Oarfish Head
Oarfish Body
Oarfish Tail
Red Candy
I always felt like I was one of the only people who didn't bother decorating their town, and kind of just did whatever. I tried putting paths down once I discovered that was a thing, but I lost patience with it and gave up pretty quickly. I suppose my town looks pretty default because I don't do much. I have trees planted wherever, I have flowers scattered kind of anywhere, I let villagers move wherever they want, and I also don't have dream villagers like most people have, and I'm fine with whoever moves in. Are there other people who have played New Leaf like this? I would love to know if I'm alone on this or not. ^-^'

Honestly, I play pretty similarly - I am cleaning up my town currently to try and decorate it a bit after a long time, but I usually am pretty laid back about decoration and happily welcome any new villagers. :] I'm going to set up some new PWPs and breed more hybrid flowers to set up around town, and maybe some QR paths eventually, but I've spent the majority of time in this game simply keeping my town natural.

I decorated my main, horror them town to a mild degree.

- I have a Fire Pit/bonfire Public Works Project surrounded by two Log Benches (at the top and bottom) and special stumps (on the sides) for seating as a sort of meeting place.

- I threw a Windmill, with some Torches flanking it, at the northeastern edge of town as a reference to the climax of the 1931 Universal Monster classic Frankenstein.

- I put an Instrument Shelter next to Cobb's house. Since he's my mad scientist/Dr. Frankenstein reference, I figured he'd be the technologically-inclined one who would work with that.

- I have some gravestone designs I downloaded via QR code as well, but I need to clear out some of my excess flowers to make a presentable area dedicated to it. Unfortunately this town was made before I got more into town planning and having a nice land distribution, so it's a bit of a pain to work with. I make do with what I've got though.

- I have a random Scarecrow. I planned to set up a row of them. Not sure if that's possible or not, been years, so I'll have to check.

I also intend to throw a Metal Bench or two down somewhere.

I really love the look of the Bus Stop, but I've never known how to use it to make it look natural, so I've never built it. I'd love to have it in this town though.

---

In my circus & magic show town, I have Illuminated Hearts on each side of my mayor's house. She's the circus ringmaster so her house is kind of like the main attraction circus tent equivalent if that makes sense. I should set up some Balloon Arches when I figure out a good place for them.

---

In my all bird species town, I have Circle Topiaries near the mayor's house. I should install a Fountain and Statue Fountain at some point as well.

Honestly, I play pretty similarly - I am cleaning up my town currently to try and decorate it a bit after a long time, but I usually am pretty laid back about decoration and happily welcome any new villagers. :] I'm going to set up some new PWPs and breed more hybrid flowers to set up around town, and maybe some QR paths eventually, but I've spent the majority of time in this game simply keeping my town natural.
That's really cool to hear! I'm glad to know I'm not alone with how I play. Most people I know or see have really nicely decorated towns or at least have a list of dream villagers. I just never got into that and don't really understand it. If you asked me about tier lists I would be pretty lost. ^-^' I also do like the idea of paths but I suppose I just don't have that kind of patience.

That's really cool to hear! I'm glad to know I'm not alone with how I play. Most people I know or see have really nicely decorated towns or at least have a list of dream villagers. I just never got into that and don't really understand it. If you asked me about tier lists I would be pretty lost. ^-^' I also do like the idea of paths but I suppose I just don't have that kind of patience.

Oh yeah, in a way I'm kinda dreading just how long putting down paths will probably take, I'll just have to put on a long video and work on it slowly. ^^; But yeah! I mostly just enjoy playing the game more casually, especially when you think about games like Population Growing where the only thing you could really decorate was your house.

I did! My town is decorated with brick paths, all color roses, Jacob's ladders, and money trees.

I had some paths down that I made but nothing super fancy. I always meant to add more PWPs but waiting to unlock the right ones was a slow process.

It’s not the tidiest town in world but it is decorated. I loved making patterns with my flowers, and paths are everywhere

I have brick paths everywhere that had a rose frame I don’t know to say it. It was a brick design with roses on the edges. I then have real roses next to all my paths so there is so many flowers around.

There was so many town works that I still hadn’t unlocked that I wanted to display around.

I sure did, though it doesn't really have a set theme, it's nothing more but a suburban town with a park.

Yes, I put soooo much time into New Leaf decorating my main town. I remember being so proud of it once I finished. Of course, I wasn't satisfied with the layout so many times and constantly changed it. However, when I finally settled on my "forever" theme it all came together so beautifully. It's still something I'm proud of. Unfortunately the date is now in limbo. In fear of losing more villagers and having unwanted ones move in to inconvenient spots, my town date is forever stuck at 4/9/2013 :(

I tried very hard to have an aesthetically pleasing town but I never had enough time or motivation to spend hours and hours grinding away trying to get all the public works or all the villagers I wanted so my town was permanently under construction and then I just stopped playing the game as much so it's a time capsule for me from 2013-2017. I did manage to decorate my house in a way I'm still very happy with to this day, and I don't think I'll ever "finish" developing my town. It means a lot to me the way it is now.

I did! I came back to it for the TBT event and I actually fleshed out a lot more than I thought. I have paths pretty much everywhere too because I like utilizing that to get villagers in specific plots. I basically have every space blocked off except for the plot to make my life easier. I think the only thing that sucks is that we can't place items down on paths. I always felt like I had too many items and not enough storage so that's the one downside I suppose. 😅

There's definitely nothing wrong to play differently than others though! Even though most people seem to have dreamies, decorate, etc, that doesn't mean it's the "right" way to play. I'd say the correct way to play is dependant on you, and as long as you're doing what you like and enjoy playing the game, you're doing it right haha.

I decorated my town as much as was possible with New Leaf. I built a bunch of public works, laid down some paths, intentionally placed flowers and trees, etc.

I decorated as much as possible, even if pwps were limited. One thing is that I miss that flowers in NL were easy to deal with compared to NH.

Just about every spot in mine I've filled. I think it was just because it the game was really accessible in that time of my life. New Horizons is the total opposite.

I don't really care for getting matching or themed villagers, I just play with the ones I like best. Besides that, I like having paths and stepping stones in my town and keeping it heavily forested, but not so much that it's hard to walk. I also just scatter clovers, bushes and flowers wherever I think they look the best. It's not that orderly of a system but I like it. I've never really decorated my beaches either since they're always needed for flower breeding.
Sometimes I like experimenting by doing wacky hacker stuff to my pwps every now and then. The best example I can think of is a combo of 3 sandboxes + a bridge + a hot spring that extend into that round part of the river. You can walk in and out of the hot spring and bridge safely because the sandboxes are placed in just the right spots to break the collision :D

Back