• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Have you hacked/edited your town, or would?

Yeah, I guess some people are just too lazy to work for their bells, ha ha ha! :)

I don't have anything against people who do it, but I personally feel that hacking/cheating kinda detracts from the authenticity of the game for me, so I don't really engage in it myself (besides, even if I wanted to I don't have the tools for it)

Normally I am completely against hacking my games (I have nothing against other people who do it to theirs) but I'll admit that if I happened to have the tools available to me at the moment I would be very tempted to just move two slightly inconvenient houses one block.

A friend of mine did, but I'm not into it. I like exploiting the game mechanics like time traveling, but hacking is too much. It wouldn't feel like playing to me anymore.

I don't care about if people hack or not! It's your game, you play it the way you want to play it! I've visited a lot of tumblr dream towns and a lot of them are hacked! They all looked great! Bamboo in rivers, trees closer together, perfect house placements, etc... But while they were all gorgeous, I didn't like them too much. The only reason I didn't like them was the fact that I know that my town will never be like that. I can't put trees on the beach, I can't plant trees next to each other, I can't do any of the things mentioned above. I have to learn to build around things even if it looks awkward afterwards. To sum it up, they're cool, but unless you know how to hack, you will never achieve a town like that.

Last edited:
I never hacked/edited a town or a game in general and I guess I will never try it. I just have too many
worries that I do something wrong and ruin anything. :/ But I don't have problems with hacked towns/
games. I mean it's the person's decision, what he/she doing with his/her game so yeah. Also I have to
admit that there are many hacked/edited towns which are really pretty...

Last edited:
I would hack my town and have tried to hack my town, but instead of buying the physical copy of oot3ds I bought the digital one.
.____.
ever since then I have given up trying to hack it. I think I may try again though.

I mean, it's nice and all, don't get me wrong. I've got some poorly placed rocks I wish I could move. But it feels like now when people see that the rocks interfere with my paths, they suggest I hack and move the rocks instead of modify my paths, which can be frustrating because hacking isn't something I am able to/want to do.

I've seen some pretty cool aesthetic hacking (cedars in lower half of town, trees closeby, organized rocks, close PWPs and bridges, underwater plants). It often brings a nice charm to dream towns and screenshots. The flipside of the coin is funny too -- "corruption" dream towns where there's flower clocks on the train tracks (even the ability to walk on the train tracks), and PWPs in the water are really funny to me!

I definitely think hacking is useful, especially on parts of the game that can be persnickety (bridge/PWP placement, technicalities with plants, house placement, etc.). I just don't see myself using it personally.

It's also interesting to note how hacking has sort of changed the game in terms of dream towns and raised the bar a bit. Which can be great for creativity, but can make a stunning dream town tough to achieve for those who can't hack villager houses into a singlefile line (and to those who take the time to plot-reset those, wow, you have my full respect. I just hope for the best).

I have never hacked my town before. But if I hacked my town, I would love to move/take out the rocks in my town because I don't like where the rocks are in my town.

I wish I could hack, as then I'd be able to move things. I wouldn't do too much, like placing items where they normally can't go or anything like that. But I spend DAYS sometimes resetting for a good layout just to usually be pleased but not overly happy. It'd be amazing if I could just make a perfect layout. (I also have OCD, and some things just really get to me, so it's not so much as I'm annoyed as I will reset the whole town if I find something doesn't work.)

i'd totally be interested in hacking my town! i'd love to see what i could do with it.. given i wouldn't corrupt my save.. :rolleyes:

I'm a frequent hacker but I only do landscaping stuff and to see how the actual code works. I'm an art major but I really have an interest in game coding so...most of my hacking is "let's see if the game coding will allow this"

I havent read the complete post about this, so sorry if someones already said something similar. Hacking is good, I mostly did all my hacking to give to others that weren't hacked. But i think it took all the fun out of the game. Planning on buying another copy that will be completely unhacked when the update comes out.

I haven't but I've thought about it. The only thing I've thought about doing was putting bushes in areas where it wasn't possible (same with trees), Moving/getting rid of rocks, controlling villager's houses, etc.

Well, that's already quite a few ideas for hacking! :) I didn't even know you also can hack villagers homes.

No, I haven't tried it. But I could probably do it for the sake of eg. paying off house loans and stuff if it's possible to get money easier. That part is a bit too tedious at some points :T

I'd be interested in trying it out in my cycle town after I'm done with it. I'm not opposed to it nor do I think less of people who hack their towns as theyre usually beautiful! It would definitely be an interesting experience

Back