• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Has your New Leaf town ever been corrupted?

Paperboy012305

MK8 Male Villager Main
Bells
Switch
4834-0712-4510
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
Yellow Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
Golden Watering Can
Rotating Fool's Egg
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Thankfully (Knock on wood) my towns I've had throughout my New Leaf journey have never been corrupted, even through those moments where it most definitely could have. It's like my New Leaf cartridge has plot armor or something.

But what about those unfortunate who did? Tell your stories.

I wanted to make a poll in this board, but it's not an option...

yes i have corrupted a file before, but it’s only because i hack my save!
i always keep backups so it’s not hard to restore it, but it’s super annoying to lose progress each time 😔

Last edited:
This never happened to me ever. Thank goodness for that. But I once had a dream where my save data got corrupted, complete with the Jaws music when I turned on my 3DS, which tells that my save data has been corrupted.

No, but there was this one time I almost lost my nl town when I got a new 3ds as i had to start over again. IDK what happened, but I got it back at some point, I forgot how since that was years ago.

yes i have corrupted a file before, but it’s only because i hack my save! i always keep backups so it’s not hard to restore it, but it’s super annoying to lose progress each time 😔
I hacked my save too, but thankfully I was too careful and loyal not to mess anything up. There was only one time I used a backup, and that was when a hacker in-game decided to fill my town with rocks. Luckily I was near the train station, I didn't save, nor did the day turn new. I had a hacker friend come over to help get rid of the rocks, then I went in save editor to replicate the original rock locations and their shape.

My town has never corrupted in a way where the game has been able to recognize it on the startup screen, but it's happened before.
About a year ago the building counter in my town stopped working and it would let me build more PWPs than 30. I unknowingly went over the limit, and then a villager moved in. Their house model couldn't fully load in or be interacted with but it still took up space and had collision. The villager wouldn't show up in their house or in town either but other villagers would still talk about them which was weird. I tried to fix it by demolishing some PWPs and getting the the villager to move out, but it just got worse. Music and sound effects would randomly stop playing, other buildings and villagers wouldn't load in and there were a few times where items would load in with the wrong texture on them. The game would crash pretty often throughout all this too.
I have no idea what caused it, but i had a bunch of backups and was able to pinpoint where the building counter issue started and restore an unaffected save. I haven't had any big issues with my save file since then.

yes, not hacked or anything, just a digital game instead of the game cartridge. rip to my town lunaris 2017-2019 😿 since then i always try my best to buy physical versions of games

Never, and making backups has eased my anxiety about it tremendously. No other game would make me feel as devastated about losing my save file, I believe. Data corruption and hardware failure in general terrify me, and I had to learn it the hard way by having my Wii U brick from not using it, which sent my City Folk town into oblivion.

I'm fortunate!! It's never been corrupted. Same town since around the time the game released. Been over 10 years on this town!

it happened one time a while ago and i was so upset :( i still have no idea how it happened.

Mine is corrupted, which is why I haven't been able to participate in the farewell threads that need the game TT^TT

Apparently, it does happen to 3DS games somehow. I spent so much time on it, but the game won't boot no matter what I do. I thought it was the 3DS and I tried it on another console and it is the same thing.

Never happened before but I get nervous every time the game saves or loads the town because if something goes wrong right there I will lose everything.

Once. It happened after I transferred to a new (original Nintendo 3DS) a week before the New Nintendo 3DS was announced. I had to transfer as the first console I had got damaged, and repairing it would have cost too much for me at the time (due to my location). If only I had waited a week.

Before I started collecting physical copies, my first copy of Animal Crossing New Leaf was a digital copy. Turns out there was an issue with my SD card (which was rather suspicious, pretty sure it was a SanDisk knockoff). I managed to get it back, but it would often cause an error stating the SD card had been ejected during gameplay. Needless to say, I ended up getting a new SD card. 😅

Last edited:
Thankfully not in New Leaf. I did have some corruption in New Horizons but thankfully it was just update data and not my save data so simply redownloading the corrupted update fixed it.

Thankfully no. I remember the time a lot of people had issues with it. I was so scared my town gets deleted lol

Back