• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gaming in public settings?

Have you ever gamed in a public setting?

• Yes.

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • No, but I don’t find it embarrassing.

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • No. I’d be too embarrassed to whip it out.

Votes: 12 12.6%

• Total voters
I do it if I’m waiting at the train station or airport if I’m traveling. Also play in public at the laundromat. It helps pass the time.

This is a question to which I respond with great pleasure, it is a topic that has accompanied me for many years of my life. I've been playing since I was about six years old, when I was given my first Nintendo DS. I've always been a very shy child and was ashamed to do anything in public, yes even play my Nintendo! 😭 Around the age of 10 I began to open up more and I started playing every now and then, only that... every time I played the other children started watching and I felt like letting them play... or they simply made me anxious and I couldn't stay focused on the game. Now that I'm an adult and I often take public transport, I think I'd like to play with my console on the way, the problem is that when I grew up I had to face another reality: I live in a city with a very high crime rate and you cannot be distracted for a moment that anything could be stolen from you while you are on the train or on the street. In the end I learned to play at home in absolute tranquility❤️

It's too awkward if its on my switch or something. I've tried but it just feels weird. I don't have as much of a problem gaming on my phone in public though!

I don't mind mobile gaming ever, because it's normalized and most people aren't going to notice unless you play with obnoxiously loud sound. But I get embarrassed easily if I think others are watching me play my Switch or something haha. I still do it (when I have the opportunity, which I don't very often) but it comes at a price.

Growing up I used to a lot, but now I rarely ever do honestly. If I do, it's cuz it's like in the nintendo switch advertisements where we play a group game or something in a park :p

Have you ever pulled out your gaming system in public or would you find it embarrassing?

I’ve seen people pull out their Switch in public, and quite a few people pull it out while traveling (on a flight, train, etc.). I see it more often now that we have the Switch. I personally don’t play it in public anymore because I don’t see a reason for it. I used to when I was actively playing New Horizons, but stopped after giving up that game.
I used to game in public all the time but unfortunately the bus I would catch to work was extremely unsafe and packed so I wouldn’t be able to bring my switch with me 😭

I just brought my Switch today to the DMV and gamed while waiting for my # to be called. It's a little awkward since I'm a grown person playing on a gaming device, but in the end, it passes the time well for me and I prefer playing on my Switch than mobile. I just make sure to carry it on my Switch crossbody bag so it's protected and I can put it away quickly if need be. It's funny that I get compliments on the bag from other adults, and I don't want to tell them it's for gaming. 😅

Yup, plenty. I honestly don't get why it would be embarrassing personally? If I'm on a long public transit commute or something I'd rather play a game than stare off into space (uh, lots of subway travel here and our transit is too cheap to put wifi in the trains themselves so internet is not an option). I haven't lately though, but that's more because I don't do daily commutes anymore and avoid needing to take transit as much as I can haha. I have all the essential places within walking distance.

yeah! course! i don't personally find it embarrassing and to the people that are embarrassed by it: it's okay! you are allowed to love and enjoy what you love and enjoy. there is nothing wrong with having fun or doing your hobbies in public. you are just being a person and existing in the world. there is no shame in that.

i think the only bit that is be a Do Not Do in public, is playing a game system WITH the speaker sound on. be respectful of people's space and ears! no need to aggravate them! just use headphones!

i often take my system on public transit when i know i have a long stretch without a transfer and also on planes where it's a godsend! especially with my ergonomic joy-cons, it's very comfortable to spend many a long hour plonking away! it's a good way to escape and doesn't make me as nauseated as trying to read a book.

yeah! course! i don't personally find it embarrassing and to the people that are embarrassed by it: it's okay! you are allowed to love and enjoy what you love and enjoy. there is nothing wrong with having fun or doing your hobbies in public. you are just being a person and existing in the world. there is no shame in that.

i think the only bit that is be a Do Not Do in public, is playing a game system WITH the speaker sound on. be respectful of people's space and ears! no need to aggravate them! just use headphones!

i often take my system on public transit when i know i have a long stretch without a transfer and also on planes where it's a godsend! especially with my ergonomic joy-cons, it's very comfortable to spend many a long hour plonking away! it's a good way to escape and doesn't make me as nauseated as trying to read a book.
I always use earphones when playing in public. I find it easier to hear the game when in a place like the airport. One thing I will never do is leave my Switch out in the open and walk away more than three feet from it. I say three feet because sometimes I take it with me to the laundromat and I need to put stuff in the dryer but I always position myself so that I can still see it.

I used to play my 3DS on trains, busses etc... and never really cared. Seems like most people are gaming it on the phones anyways so I don't feel like its a big thing.

i do it sometimes (sometimes as in when i actually bring my device with me)! i need something to entertain myself when i'm riding the bus or train 🤷‍♀️

Why should I mind? If I want to play switch on the train I will do it. Nothing weird about it lol

i used to bring my 3DS out and about with me pretty frequently! i've never commuted any where with my switch though! my switch has only gone with me if i'm travelling somewhere for an extended amount of time. also i feel like my brain treats the switch as not portable even though it totally is. something about growing up with a stationary "home" console and a portable handheld console is forever cemented into the fiber of my being i guess

i used to bring my 3ds everywhere with me when i was younger, mainly for play coins, but, i would play it alot too. i dont usually do that anymore, but i dont see a problem with it.

Maybe I’m just shameless but I have no fear of being judged for this. If it did ever happen I’d probably never do it again, but for now I’m fine with pulling out my 3DS or Switch in public and playing a game.

There was a time when I would bring my 3DS around with me everywhere for StreetPass, but nowadays I never really find myself in a situation where I'm in public and I feel like playing games. I don't see a problem with it either way, it's not much different to reading a book or something as long as you're being respectful of the people around you.

Back