• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gaming in public settings?

Have you ever gamed in a public setting?

• Yes.

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • No, but I don’t find it embarrassing.

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • No. I’d be too embarrassed to whip it out.

Votes: 12 12.6%

• Total voters
Don't know why it would be considered embarrassing.

That said, I don't take my DS Lite or 3DS anywhere because I'd be paranoid about something happening to them; they could end up broken, lost, stolen, whatever. I only play my Switch docked to a tv, so I don't take that either. I also don't play mobile games.

In the unlikely scenario that I did bring a handheld along though, I don't see why I wouldn't play a game if I felt like it. I'd either play with the sound off or with headphones/earbuds in so as not to bother anyone, but that's more out of consideration for others and being polite rather than anything to do with embarrassment.

In hindsight, I did and I kinda still do! As a kid I used to bring my DS everywhere and played it during long lines. Nowadays I mainly just play (rhythm) games on my iPad when I'm in a coffee shop. Tbh gaming on your phone/tablet isn't all that bad since a lot of people are doing it, but gaming with Nintendo consoles feels a little embarrassing for me because it's not a common thing here to even own a Nintendo console. You'd definitely get some heads turning here if you whip out a Switch in public, so nowadays I get super concious even thinking about playing Nintendo consoles in public.

I used to take my GBA and DS out with me all the time. Now I just don’t have a reason to. I’m not at all embarrassed to be seen playing video games. I just don’t have the time when I’m out in public. The only time I recently brought my switch with me was when I was waiting for work to be done on my car and I knew I was going to be there for awhile.

It used to embarrass me when I was little but now I don't care, it isn't any different from middle aged people playing candy crush at public spaces (and hey, I at least don't play with full volume like others lol). I often see people playing with their Switch on the bus too.

But that said I don't do it often, just sometimes when I'm alone and have nothing else to do, like waiting for the bus (here it can take ~40 minutes to arrive...). Don't follow my example, but when I was in high school I used to bring my DS and play in secret during lectures :'p
My only emeny is... the sun.

When I made my original post, I didn't account for things like arcade games. It's not embarrassing, per se, to be seen in such a place, but it does kind of make me flustered when people stick around to watch me play and most likely mess up due to performance anxiety in games that are already kind of stressful by design. I'm not sure why. It's not like I have anything to prove to them.

I haven't been to an arcade in so long. I sure do miss them.

I like to play my games at home. Mostly away from everyone. Occasionally I might play it on the living room, but mostly I play at night in my room.

I used to take my DS with me *everywhere* as a kid, especially if I knew I had some kind of journey so that I could pass the time. nowadays i'm more likely to carry a book with me over my switch if i'm just going for a day out or something, but if i'm taking the train to uni or something like that i will happily take my switch so that i can have it there, and more often than not i end up pulling it out at some point along the journey just to pass the time. i don't think it's embarrassing at all - frankly i don't care lmao

Reactions: Neb
Yes as I've done it back I was a kid occasionally bringing my red Gameboy Advance SP with me. I rarely do it nowadays since things get a little distracting and can't enjoy the game as much as I would.

I mean why not? It's not different from say, someone playing Candy Crush on the bus. Years ago I used to play my Vita on the way to and from class, and now I play my Switch during my work commute.

When I was a kid, I took my ds with me when we would go on vacation. I don’t remember much, but I probably played wild world on the plane

Back in the 3DS days, I would *always* game in public. On the train, at work on my breaks, etc. At the time, I would work double shifts with up to 4 hour breaks in between so it really helped me stay entertained. Otherwise, the only way I could pass the time is spending money eating out or shopping. Gaming at work was just better, and I was close enough with my coworkers that no one judged me. Plus, it was fun getting street passes!

With the Switch, because of its open design (as opposed to the clamshell design of the 3DS), and higher price point, I'm weary to ever take it out of the house. I've tried a few times, but it just feels like I have to be super careful which takes away from the fun i'm having with whatever game. So I just don't. Nothing to do with being embarrassed. If it was more durable and comfortable to take out, I would. It would be a great conversation starter with like minded people I think :)

I don't have any issue taking my games with me if I know I'll be stuck in a place for a very long time; I did it as a kid and was never really self conscious about it, in fact I'm way more self conscious about drawing in public than gaming <XD

The only reason I wouldn't take my games with me is if the time I'll be somewhere won't be long enough to really get a good play session in and justify all the carrying and extra attention I'd have to pay to watch over my stuff 😅

I play on the switch in public sometimes and it doesn't bother me sometimes, but if I don't feel comfortable I tend to lower the brightness of the screen.

I used to bring my 3ds in public, but not anymore.
And for the other games, sometimes I only play it at home because I feel more comfortable playing there, than in public

Maybe at like an airport or something. Somewhere where’ I’ll be waiting a while.

I don’t like carrying things around with me, so I’m not gonna bring a bag with my Switch in it to sit in a waiting room.

I remember seeing a kid playing his Switch in a line at Chic-fil-a, thought that was cool 😎

I'm a very private person so I only play in my own home. In the past I used to do it with Gameboys because as a kid I didn't think it about it much. Switches are pretty expensive so the less people know the better.

I don't really do it as much these days, but I used to all the time. I always had *insert Nintendo handheld of the time* with me. It made journeys on public transport tolerable and gave me something to do when I arrived where I needed to be like an hour early thanks to unreliable public transport.

These days I drive which has gotten rid of those to factors pretty much entirely. I play my Switch on breaks at work which is a majority of my gaming now, though that's not entirely "public" since it's around the same few co-workers every day. Sometimes I'll be driving a lot for work so I can be found at service stations and stuff playing on my Switch in the car.

I'm not going to pull it out when I'm hanging out with friends though (unless that's what we're there to do). Bit ignorant, just like sitting on your phone.

I used to take my 3DS with me everywhere. My favorite thing to do was StreetPass, and that required you to actively be taking your 3DS to places. I would also take it to school and play during breaks, lunch, or band when we weren't doing anything. In my senior year of high school, that became my Switch - there was a small group of us in percussion that had Switches and would play them whenever we got the chance. I also played it a lot at lunch, often eating my lunch during 2nd period just so I would have extra time to play on my Switch at lunch. Nowadays, I sometimes take my Switch into public, but it feels like a hassle, especially when it's really hot outside, but it's nice to have something to do when I'm somewhere with my mom and have to wait. I also really like the portability of it, because it always goes with me when I go to stay with my mom.

when my grandmother was still alive, i would sometimes accompany her to her doctors appointments in a different city — it took about 2 hours to get to and from the hospital, and the appointment itself usually took 3+ hours, so i occasionally brought my 3ds with me so that i could play new leaf to pass the time. i think i brought it to school with me once or twice as well, and i’d also bring my 3ds with me when i knew i’d be walking around a lot so that i could earn coins and hopefully streetpass people. i had plans to bring my switch to school with me so that i could play new horizons during my lunch breaks, but then the pandemic happened and i never went back to attending school in-person lol.

i was maybe a bit self-conscious while doing it like i am whenever i do anything in public, but i didn’t find it to be embarrassing. i was playing quietly and not bothering anybody, so it wasn’t a big deal — to me, it was no different than goofing around on your phone. i doubt i’ll ever do it again, though, as i was constantly getting distracted by my surroundings and the people/noises around me that i couldn’t concentrate much. i prefer to game at home and when i’m alone as i’m able to focus better.

Last edited:
One of my biggest pet peeves(?) is when people look over my shoulder at my screen. So I voted no, I'd be too embarrassed to play in public.

Back