• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gaming in public settings?

Have you ever gamed in a public setting?

• Yes.

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • No, but I don’t find it embarrassing.

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • No. I’d be too embarrassed to whip it out.

Votes: 12 12.6%

• Total voters
Yep, alot. In my opinion in comes down to comfort with the guarantee of people watching or glancing. But keep in mind those are total strangers you'll probably never see again.

I played alot of Pokcket camp at work, since it was pretty chill, but also to check on alk the stupid furniture you need built, or so Marshal stopped telling me he found stuff.

I still play Pokemon Go, and I dont really care about what people think lol, you sometimes even meet people alsocwalking around playing it. I'll play it at super piblic places too. My friend and I always sit in the food court and catch all the mons there. I pulled it out at an amusment park too. Theres a Pokestop at the theatre so you sometimeses see people just standing, snd then leaving after some intense finger tapping.

Just dont have the brightness up, it makes it easier for people to see.

Last edited:
i used to play my 3ds in school all the time, i play pokemon go in public, i used to play my switch at work when i was at gamestop. it doesn't embarrass me, and nobody usually bothers me about it.

I play pokemon go in public often and apart from a few people occasionally visibly shocked that someones still playing it, I get on fine. I used to play my 3ds in public for streetpass when i was younger and I never got embarrassed. Same with my switch now, if I used it while traveling I wouldn't care if people were judgy.

I don’t find gaming in public to be embarrassing. However, I still don’t take my gaming systems with me out of fear of them being stolen. Also, the few times that I have taken them I ended up being distracted by something else.

I game in public settings quite often, whenever there's a time of extended waiting. I have brought my 3DS & Switch to many travels, and am not ashamed to play games in public. What's the difference anyways when everyone nowadays has a smartphone that has access to games & videos alike.

When I was in middle school I would play on my 3DS on breaks all the time, it was a great way to pass time and I didn't feel embarrassed at all! Nowadays I only really play on my switch in public while traveling by train and it's very fun, especially if it's a long ride :blush:

I just remembered, I'd play Splatoon 2 at the laundromat. I never felt embarrassed when pulling out my Switch in public. My only concern is my safety. I would never play with headphones on. I always want to be aware of my surroundings. Also, where I live in, somebody could snatch my Switch. It's dangerous.

I only remember doing it one time recently when I had a long stretch between my classes. Like an 6 hour gap and I had to commute one way that was an hour. So I didn't want to waste time going home or gas. But 6 hours is a long time and I didn't play it the whole time. I transferred schools and I was the last to be able to pick courses. Which sucked since everything was already taken up and so I had to just do the best I could.

I haven’t played a handheld console in public since my GBC and GBASP, but I do play POGO and ACPC on my phone in public, if that counts? I take my switch when I travel, but even then I don’t get to use it much. I don’t think there is anything wrong about playing in public though. Do whatever makes you happy!

Used to as a kid at school (because that's just what we did), now I never do. I just like to get immersed into a world when I play a game, especially a good game. I can't do that when I'm out in public, plus, I usually focus on the people I'm with when I'm out and about.

Am I the only person who gets distracted by the game and finds it hard to pay attention to your surroundings (your next stop off the the bus/train, next in line, etc)? I'm either fully engrossed in the game or fully paying attention to what's going on in real life.

Am I the only person who gets distracted by the game and finds it hard to pay attention to your surroundings (your next stop off the the bus/train, next in line, etc)? I'm either fully engrossed in the game or fully paying attention to what's going on in real life.
I wouldn't be able to focus on the game to be honest. I usually drive myself to wherever it is I need to be going. So there's not a lot of instances where I could just play a game. Unless I wanted to cause an accident lol. And these days there's not a lot of in-between waiting for whatever it is I am out doing whether it's work, errands, or fun.

I'd rather have most of my attention on the game when I want to play. Which is why I prefer to do it when I'm home or somewhere similar. I did use to take my 3ds to school and college since there were usually large gaps between my classes and needed ways to pass time. I bought a pre-owned FF Tactics Advance 2 for this very reason and completed it with all the time I had between classes. But other than that, I couldn't focus and enjoy gaming in public, especially depending where I was and how crowded it was.

Your not the only one. I get completed focused on a game or a book and everything around me doesn’t exist. Someone will try and get my attention when I’m gaming or reading and it will take awhile for me to notice.

I was the quiet kid in high school, just sitting at the back of the class playing on my DS Lite and ignoring any and all chances for social interaction because i hated everyone there. My fondest memory of my last year of high school was completing Crash 2 N-Tranced for the first time ever, it was pretty epic, you should've seen it.

Nowadays, i bring my 3DS with me whenever i go out somewhere and i know i'm gonna be stuck in some waiting room.

I used to play games in public every now and then, but it was years ago while I was still in school. I don't bother gaming in public these days, partially because I don't feel as comfortable playing them in public as I do in the comfort of a private setting, and partially because I'm not waiting around while out in public these days.

last summer (when i was still at school), used to play animal crossing on my switch lite, had a pretty rad time. also i probably played mario kart 7 whilst travelling on an airplane at some point - so i guess gaming in public's not embarassing to me, or at least not in those situations!

Me, my siblings, and my cousins had no problem playing GBA, DS or PSP in public back when we were younger. You don't really care back then, you just wanna play the game as a kid.

Nowadays, I only do it sometimes with my DSi, 2DS or Switch when I'm travelling and I'm the passenger or in a waiting area. Mainly because I would much prefer to play my video games somewhere more comfortable and I wouldn't be disturbed, or I won't disturb someone with my overreaction :ROFLMAO:

I don’t really have a problem with it. If I know I’m going somewhere where I’ll have to sit and wait or I’m just hanging out I usually bring a game or a knitting project to kill time. I like going to the library to play games that need a more stable internet connection than I have at home but the only embarrassing thing about that is when the fan on my laptop kicks on in a quiet place

Back