• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gaming in public settings?

Have you ever gamed in a public setting?

• Yes.

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • No, but I don’t find it embarrassing.

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • No. I’d be too embarrassed to whip it out.

Votes: 12 12.6%

• Total voters

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
Have you ever pulled out your gaming system in public or would you find it embarrassing?

I’ve seen people pull out their Switch in public, and quite a few people pull it out while traveling (on a flight, train, etc.). I see it more often now that we have the Switch. I personally don’t play it in public anymore because I don’t see a reason for it. I used to when I was actively playing New Horizons, but stopped after giving up that game.

I have with my 3DS back in the day a couple of times. I really didn't see anyone playing their 3DS back then and I don't see it much with the Switch either. I don't feel the need to these days. I just play on my phone if I'm waiting for something in public.

I have played in public. When I was young, I played the original GameBoy in public all the time. The one time I flew on an airplane, I brought my GameBoy Advance SP to play games on the flight. I have also brought my 3DS with me a few times to play while waiting in lines for movies or other things.

Not exactly the same thing, but I've also spent quite a bit of time in arcades before they closed down. It is gaming in public, though.

I take my New 2DS just about everywhere I go whenever I wanna play New Leaf. I used to game on my GBA systems, as well. Sonic Battle, Wario Land 4, etc.

I did as a kid. I always took my DS and 3DS on the go whenever I was doing errands or taking road trips. Most of the time it was in the waiting room of the hospital since one of my moms had frequent visits. To this day I’ll sometimes take my Vita with me too. While I do have a Switch traveling case, I rarely take it with me. The system’s bulky feel and bad battery make it less than ideal for portable use. If Nintendo ever makes a Switch 2 I hope they fix those things.

I used to bring my DS whenever we went on long trips. Sometimes my sister and I would message each other on Pictochat, and other times we would play games. When we went to big cities, my parents worried that they would be stolen, so we found creative ways to hide them. Other than that, I never gamed in public.

I bring my 3DS everywhere with me since I first got it when I was little. Always hoping to get a streetpass or two and playing it when my parents talk to someone or we have an appointment for my brother or something! Its perfect fun in the car too because I turn on the 3DS sound app and plug in headphones! I dont have a phone so I cant bring my computer and even if I could it wont connect to the internet so I download all my favorite songs and stuff so I can listen to them on my 3ds! I have over 90 songs on it lol most of my sd card is photos and music!!! I never bring my switch though as I dont play too many games on it anyways but I do have a lot that are bunches of fun and occasionally I'll bring my switch with me but for some reason everytime I play switch on the go its Mario + Rabbids because I LOVE THAT GAME. I barely play in handheld which is ONLY when I go out because its almost exclusive to my TV!! But yeah I have played lots of games in public places from the grocery store to the dentist! (Even though now when I go to the grocery store I play the color game lol! I try to find something of every color in the rainbow + pink and brown and then I repeat and see how many times I can get them all!)

I took my 3DS to school a lot when I was in highschool. I would mostly play during theater class since I didn't do much in that class lol. I also took it on vacation when I went to San Antonio with my family and even got some streetpasses from the Tower of Americas! I don't go out much anymore so I don't take my consoles any where.

Yeah I've brought my consoles out in public and stuff before. I don't really play much on my Switch these days but if I did I'd definitely bring it on a longer trip.

(Loved when I had a PS Vita and got shady looks while playing some Neptunia lmao)

Reactions: Neb
I don’t think it’s embarrassing at all, but I don’t find myself in situations where it’d be worth bringing my Switch somewhere public. I’d have no problem using it on a plane, but plane trips are generally only a few hours anyway.

Originally I thought you meant playing a console on a screen in public (like at a game store), and I was going to say a definite no. I don’t find it embarrassing, but I do find it stressful to have someone watching over my shoulder (just in general)!

I used to bring my 3DS to a lot of different places, mainly to get those puzzle pieces from other players. I used to play it on the train or on coach trips, it was one of the only things that kept me sane on long journeys. Prior to that, it was the DS, Game Boy, Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance that got dragged along for the ride.

I've taken my Switch to a couple of locations, but not as frequently as I did my 3DS. It's just bulkier, and the battery doesn't last as long (but I also can't afford to buy a Switch Lite). I've never felt embarrassed playing them in public, though.

When I was a child, I would bring my Game Boy with me pretty much everywhere, and I have fairly vivid memories of playing my Game Boy Advance while waiting for a doctor's appointment.

These days, I tend to not do that. Not because it's embarrassing (and I don't see why anyone should be embarrassed considering most people are gaming on their phones these days anyway), but I just find it difficult to concentrate on games when out and about these days. I used to take my 3DS with me for Streetpasses, but I'd wait until I got home before I checked them out. Ideally, I would love it if I could be the type of person to bring books or something to read in queues or while waiting at the hospital or something, but I can't concentrate with all the little noises around me.

There are probably situations in which I would be a little embarrassed to be seen gaming in public, but only if it's kind of inappropriate. Don't bring your Switch to funerals, kids.

I've played games in arcades numerous times (rhythm and fighting games mostly). Everyone else is there for the same reason, so it doesn't bother me to play in public. I have messed up royally in games like DDR though where I'll start looking around in a panic, embarrassed by the fact that someone may have seen the train wreck.

I also used to take my GBA/DS/3DS around with me because there was always a game I was really into at the time. Haven't played any Switch games in public because I don't like carrying it around and am not often in a scenario (e.g.: long commutes) where I could make use of it.

I do get self conscious about playing games in public, so I usually avoid it unless its for something particularly long like a flight. For me though, it's more of a thing of me not liking strangers knowing things about me or what I'm playing. I recognise that my fear of judgement is irrational though, and I do occasionally play games in public. I usually avoid it however.

I do get self conscious about playing games in public, so I usually avoid it unless its for something particularly long like a flight. For me though, it's more of a thing of me not liking strangers knowing things about me or what I'm playing. I recognise that my fear of judgement is irrational though, and I do occasionally play games in public. I usually avoid it however.

Yeah, I'm the same way and can relate. It's sad how much judgment there still is for playing video games in general, and that it pressures us into not playing in public. It should really be judgment-free. I stand with you, my friend. 😤

I don't very often, but I've brought my DS to work. I've brought it to a cafe as well, and played by myself while having coffee. I thought I'd be uncomfortable with it, but honestly, I find it cool when I see other people doing their own thing in public (gaming, reading, anything like that), so why should I feel embarassed?

I thought I'd be uncomfortable with it, but honestly, I find it cool when I see other people doing their own thing in public (gaming, reading, anything like that), so why should I feel embarrassed?
I actually see it more with kids where they’ll be playing and having fun in public. It’s amazing how carefree they are and how much they just don’t care what others think. It seems that changes when they become older.

I have as a kid, but I don't like it so I don't do it. There are too many things going on around me, and there is always that one person who decides to start talking to you when you do take it out. Out side the house, gaming was in the car.
I guess if I was at a park or someplace like that where I could sit by myself, that would be fine as long as I had a tree or something blocking the sun.

Back