• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Favorite and Least Favorite Seasons

DarkSlayer1331

Bells
They are coming! For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, winter is fast approaching, and then those playing in the Southern are gearing up for the heat of summer! As I am a North player, I have started thinking about how the snow will be coming and the music will get all bright and jingly, and I'm getting excited. But I know a lot of other people can't stand the bright white of winter.

For me, I love the winter aesthetic! It's so crisp and clean, and you can make colors pop out with your flowers and decor. And for me, it's only like this for about two and a half months of the year. It starts on the 11th of December and ends on the 24th of February. Roughly 10 weeks, which I can understand seems like a horribly long lasting thing when you're in the thick of it. I live in an area of the country that gets bone chilling cold temps and heaps of snow, and come January I am absolutely over it. Trust me, I totally understand. And I've gotten to the end of January/beginning of February in the game and been like "okay, let's move on now please." But in the grand scheme of things, it's actually the "shortest" of the seasons that the game goes through. Fall's transition of colors and everything goes from September 1st all the way until the end of November, when the ground is just blah and the trees have reached the end of their beautiful color scheme. Roughly 12 weeks. Spring time it starts transitioning from the muddy grey/brown color to green and just gets brighter, and by summer it's beautiful, everything is alive. But both of those seasons also last a long time to me, so when I think about it that way... the white winter isn't really all that bad.

But my favorite season for sure is fall. I love the transition that we go through the whole time, my favorite being November as far as aesthetic/color. I love seeing the trees start to go orange. My favorite time of the year is Halloween, so October is always fun for me, and where I live the weather really starts changing in September. This year was weird, we had a bit of a cold spell in late September and early October, and then temps soared again and overall October was incredibly warm. Very strange. But temps have plummeted over the past couple days now and we definitely have more seasonal weather. But yes, fall is my favorite!

My least favorite is spring. I know that might sound weird, but it's always been, for me, the most boring. Like there's not really that much to do. Yes, I can decorate my island, change out flowers, make things look springy. But the only thing there really is is Bunny Day, and I really do not like it on NH at all. I thought I could get into it a bit more, but I tried and just... no fun. We do get that May Day Maze, which I know is big for people who love Rover. The Museum Rally event is nothing for me, and I wish there was a bit more to Nature Day than there is.

Summer is great, things do start to pick up, at least for me, with the bug catching tournaments, and I can really lean into the summer island vibe. Fireworks in August are a really cool addition, and I just like the aesthetics and sounds of summer. And I love winter. Overall I do feel like there's something to enjoy with every season, for the most part, but spring just... I dunno. For bringing back life and renewal and all that, it just falls flat for me.

What about you? What are your thoughts on seasons and the way the game progresses from one to the next?

My rankings:
1: Autumn (so pretty and fun!)
2: Winter (I love the events and I think the snow is really pretty and helps bring colors out for bright/cheery vibes)
3: Summer (Could use another fun event, but still really love the aesthetics)
4: Spring (I always wind up losing interest and stop playing regularly from sometime in April until at least June, maybe even July)

Aside from summer, I don’t like any of the other season. I time travel to keep my island in summer.

my favourite season is summer. i love how vibrant and gorgeous the greenery becomes and how it makes my island look and all the colourful flowers stand out, plus i love the rare critters you can catch during the summer months (especially the sharks!)! i also love spring — the soft greens of the grass, trees, bushes etc are so pretty, and refreshing to see after months of snow. the butterflies start to come back as well, which is lovely. i always miss seeing the tiger, peacock, agrias etc butterflies during the winter months.

my least favourite season is fall. it’s my favourite season irl, but i just don’t really vibe with it in-game. like i do irl, i love the way autumn makes the trees look, halloween and the harvest festival etc, but i’m not fond of how my island looks in autumn, nor the grass slowly dying. i prefer green grass. 😅

if i had to rank the seasons from favourite to least:

summer
spring
winter (the snow gets boring after a while, but i love the crunchiness of it when my island rep walks on it, and how it sparkles in the sunlight. plus i love toy day, the new year’s eve celebration, the lights on the cedar trees, building snowmen etc)
fall

just like irl, winter is by far my favorite season, it's just so pretty and then there's the aurora in the skies, the snow falling, the super cute fashion, toy day, new years, etc.

least favorite is probably autumn, it's actually my second favorite season irl but idk...it just looks kinda ugly in-game?

In the game

Favorite: Spring. I absolutely love the rainfall, and there are periods where we celebrate Cherry Blossom and Spring Bamboo.

Least: Winter. The snow is fun when it firsts arrives, but gets old fast. I enjoy it most during snowfall as the added fog makes it prettier.

In game, it's definitely summer > spring > winter > autumn

I think all of the seasons have something going for them, but I really love the green grass and trees of summer. I think they are the most vibrant and pleasing to look at. I also love that the hydrangeas and plumerias bloom during summer - I think the hydrangea would be my favourite shrub!

I love when the holly blooms in winter, and it's the one thing that we are missing out on with Southern Hemisphere Christmases. 😊🎄

oo I love summer and spring the most by far! I love green everywhere is just so nice. autumn is okay but winter just makes me lose motivation. too plain ig.

My favorite is summer, mostly because that's when a lot of the rare critters start to spawn. I also love how vibrant the greenery is and the occasional thunderstorms. ^^ I don't really have a least favorite, but at some point seeing the snow in-game gets boring.

Of course, this doesn't correspond whatsoever to how I feel about our seasons - Winter is my favorite and summer is my least favorite IRL. XD

My preferences in terms of the seasons in Animal Crossing games pretty much aligns with my preferences for the seasons in real life.

My favorite of the seasons is Autumn. In real life it's because of the beautiful scenery of the leaves changing color, the cooler temperatures, Halloween, Thanksgiving, my birthday, carving jack o' lanterns, pumpkin foods and drinks, and just the general vibe of it. In the games, I also enjoy the leaves changing colors, Halloween and the Harvest Festival and I enjoy collecting acorns and mushrooms and catching leaves with the net.

My second favorite season in both real life and Aninal Crossing is Winter. I quite enjoy December because of Christmas and New Year's Eve; I get into the Christmas spirit by baking cookies for my family and my best friend, listening to Christmas music, participating in the festivities here on the forums, and maybe watching a few Christmasy movies. I also find that last week of December after Christmas to be really chill and relaxing and I enjoy New Year's Eve in particular. I also really love the aesthetics of snow when there's a good amount of it, though ice isn't fun to deal with. As for in-game, Toy Day is fun, having the trees around your town/island lit up with Christmas lights is nice, and while some people seem to quickly tire of it I enjoy the snow on the ground. Rolling up snowpeople is fun, but I am disappointed that New Horizons only has Snowboy and doesn't include Snowman, Snowmam, and Snowtyke. I especially miss Snowman Bingo. Another missing aspect from New Leaf, the campsite tent becoming an igloo in Winter was cool too.

I deal with cold better than heat, so yeah.

My least favorite in both real life and Animal Crossing is probably Spring. Summer sucks in real life for me because of the heat and the storms, but at least there's some stuff like a friend's birthday and the 4th of July (not patriotic but watching fireworks can be enjoyable) that happen in Summer to make it more tolerable. Summer in the games also at least has sharks to catch. Spring is just like less interesting Summer to me. The cherry blossoms are nice though.

There is no snow where I live irl and I wish I could experience it, but I can’t stand it in this game, I’m done with snowman stuff and imo snow makes towns look the worst unless you specifically designed around it. It was fun in the old games because the design part was a nonissue. Easily my least favorite and the fact I hate xmas doesn’t help. It also feels like it lasts forever honestly.

I’d probably put Spring next because not a lot happens, but it still has the cherry blossoms. Summer is fun to play because bugs + fish and there’s a certain nostalgia and hype around it, but Autumn wins on general vibes and has my beloved Halloween.

This doesn’t align with my opinions on seasons irl but those are likely to shift because weather has drastically changed here in the last year. My take would normally be winter > fall > spring > summer irl (Fall is just too tiny of a season here honestly, I enjoy it being a quiet season without much happening, but winter here used to capture the vibe i wanted in fall); however, winter was absolutely dreadful this year and my house got to single digit temparatures. It’s looking like I might prefer Fall and Spring in the future, because weather will definitely keep getting worse here, but they aren’t great either. Weather here sucks. 100f+ heat in summer is the norm, almost constant. Irl here summer is a total lost cause, hate it.

I really didn't realize that so many people actually disliked the autumn season in the game! While I can see why the slow death to the grass can be unappealing, I feel like it doesn't really start to look dead until really late in the season, when snow starts to fall. So you just have to deal with it for that couple weeks before snow is actually covering the island. I guess to me it's just not enough to detract from the other fall colors, the yellows and oranges of the trees. And the mushroom stuff is just really nice.

When I saw somebody mention the cherry blossoms, I will say that that is probably the one part of spring that I actually really enjoy. To the point that I actually will play every day during that short span of time. But I think I start playing a lot less frequently after that until summer time rolls around.

I really didn't realize that so many people actually disliked the autumn season in the game!
Same, Autumn is tied as my favorite with Summer for me. Pretty much how it is in real life for me as well. I love Autumn for the leaves changing and the upcoming holidays (Halloween and Christmas are my two favorite holidays in the game). I love Summer just because of how colorful it is but also sharks are one of my main moneymakers these days, along with special butterflies. Initially I love Winter, but as someone mentioned, it gets old fast, all the snow and ice on everything. I wish it lasted for like 3 weeks to a month. I like Spring mainly for cherry blossoms, but man that goes by so quickly, I wished it lasted a month too.

I love winter in the game, but find the transition period between winter and spring--where the snow has melted and given way to a dull grey earth beneath--to be rather drab and lacking in anything really exciting.

i hate winter. most of the downloaded paths are horrible looking during the winter months. ive had to change an entire islands make-up because of that lol!

i love how animal crossing has kept me in the game since the gamecube version. the games, even though you can get burned out on them, have always had a special sort of community effort that just feels right.

I honestly like all seasons, but I guess here is my ranking.

1. Spring (I love the cherry blossoms)
2. Summer (I like the green grass)
3. Winter (the snow is pretty)
4. Autumn (kinda boring)

I don't like fall and winter because of the grass being covered, unlike summer and spring

My favourite season would have to be spring. I love the cherry blossoms even if they are only for a limited time during the season. Since I'm really into the Japanese/Asian themes and the fact that it has my birthday make it my overall fav. The next one very close to spring is autumn because of the leaves. There are also lots of events in autumn like Halloween and Turkey Day so its easily if not tied with spring for my favourite. The third fav would have to be winter. Since where I live irl there is no snow its a good way to experience the cold season witohut feeling it. I also like Christmas/Toy Day and trees and ground covered in snow so its very fun season. Its after autumn because January and February get very boring for me (I don't like Carnivale that much). Last is summer. I hate feeling hot and the only good thing about summer are the palm beetles and big fish for bells. It gets pretty easy to get enough bells so I typically skip that time of year in AC anyway.

I love all the seasons for different reasons (rhyming, lol)

☃️ Winter is great because the snow is beautiful! But the downside is there's barely any bugs to catch!

🌸 Spring is a nice change from the snow; especially love when the cherry blossoms come out.

🐝 Summer is awesome because the grass, trees, shrubs, etc. look so GREEN and there's so many bugs around, just thriving with life.

🍁 Fall is cozy and calming, especially love the grand finale when the leaves turn red.

I think fall and summer would be my two ultimate favorites, winter my second favorite, and spring probably my least favorite.

My favourite season is autumn because I feel like it has the most varied colour palette. I don’t dislike spring or summer though. Especially the cherry blossoms can be very very pretty. However I tried designing a spring and then a summer island and I just got very bored with all the green. xD Same with winter and all the white, though other people’s sparkly white islands can be absolutely stunning it’s not for me

Back