• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

do you put q-tips in your ears

do you put q-tips in your ears?

• yes screw the warnings

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • no i love suffering

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
I don’t no. I was once told by a doctor to never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear? 🤷‍♀️ (and if you can actually do this you must be very flexible 😂)

I used to cringe when my mum used to clean her ears with a Kirby grip 🙈 (bobby pin I think in US)

sometimes but i don't like them, there's other things i use instead that arent as like... painful? idk

Q-tips or cotton buds as we call them in the UK should be banned. They're simply not good for the environment and they're not good for your ears either. Everytime you put one in your ear your pushing the wax further down your ear canal which can lead to a blockage. That blockage will then be harder to clear as the wax will have become compacted.

This is coming from someone who once suffered two blocked ears at the same time brought on by using cotton buds in order to clean the inside of my ears. Just don't use them. 😊

I do and I know I’m not meant to, but evidently I like living in the wilder side.

What else would I use

Q-tips or cotton buds as we call them in the UK should be banned. They're simply not good for the environment and they're not good for your ears either. Everytime you put one in your ear your pushing the wax further down your ear canal which can lead to a blockage. That blockage will then be harder to clear as the wax will have become compacted.

This is coming from someone who once suffered two blocked ears at the same time brought on by using cotton buds in order to clean the inside of my ears. Just don't use them. 😊
i've never had a blockage i'm built different

YES because I don't like my ears feeling gross, including the outer ear part too. Usually, I do it after I shower so it's easy to wipe everything in there, but sometimes I just do it when I feel like I need to. My earwax is just built different I have the dry asian earwax gene so no goop to clog or push back idc what anyone says

I am an ENT and I tell patients not to put qtips in their ears ALL THE TIME and I've taken bits of qtips out of patients' ears.... And yet I do it! Except in Asian culture, it's not qtips, but little metal ear scoops. And usually someone helps you scoop it out, but one can definitely do it to oneself. Actually, I use bobby pins right now because it's easier than finding an ear scoop.

But from a medical perspective, I'd recommend rubbing the outside of your ear instead of scratching the ear canal with an instrument. Just because bad things can happen if you do accidentally scratch things. Or sometimes I recommend alcohol and vinegar rinses for itching or steroid drops/creams if there is underlying eczema involved.
Post automatically merged:

One of my bosses used to always say to his patients that Qtips were invented in 1921 and people obviously didn't use qtips before that time!
(I guess they used toothpicks and other things instead!)
IS USING BOBBY PINS AN ASIAN THING TOO??? Because before my family got a scoop with a light we always used bobby pins to clean each others' ears lmaoo I also used to use bobby pins myself a lot too but now I just use qtips, I feel like the bobby pins can be scarier lol

Most definitely. I feel like this is one of those things that should be pretty intuitive and someone would have to really try to screw up, but my doctor scolded me when I told him I cleaned my ears with Q-tips and said he's seen some "nasty infections" from improper use. Thankfully I'm not a potato and have never had a problem, and a bonus is squeaky-clean ear canals.

I've never had a blockage or any other issues, though I'm sure it can happen. Risk vs. reward and all that. 🤷‍♀️

i used to get ear infections and my ears would constantly clogged when i used to use q-tips. since i stopped them, i've never once had anymore issues with my ears. i would only use them very sparingly if my ears were excessively wet or something but i've never turned back.

Why do they make them able to fit in ears and look like they're designed to clean ears if not to fit in and clean ears?

There are other alternatives though. But the Q-tips just fit perfectly and are convenient. Team Q-tip

Back