• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you pay to play?

I play free to play games but I don’t pay anything. I don’t have money to waste lol

currently the only mobile game I have on my phone is hay day and that’s only cause my sister begged me to play with her. I definitely don’t ever see myself paying for any in app purchases on there nor would I be tempted to. I also had Pocket Camp on my old phone and even then I couldn’t see myself spending RLC on anything, it’d just feel like a complete waste of money.

I'm normally always a free-to-play player since I don't really like games that make you have to pay to win in a game. Though if the game has a cosmetic or a character that I really want, then I might spend a little bit of money on it after I sit an think for a bit on how much do I really need this item.

I paid to get a few items in Team Fortress 2 and I did a little whaling in a few gachas like FGO because I thought "what the heck this game has bad rates and no pitty so lets see how farvwe can go"

I don't play any mobile games, let alone free to play games, but if I did there's no way I'd pay for any in-game content like cosmetic items, lootboxes, in-game money, etc., which goes for regular games with those things as well. For me, it feels like a waste of money to buy those things when there's a lot more important things I could be saving my money for.

I don't play any mobile games, let alone free to play games, but if I did there's no way I'd pay for any in-game content like cosmetic items, lootboxes, in-game money, etc., which goes for regular games with those things as well. For me, it feels like a waste of money to buy those things when there's a lot more important things I could be saving my money for.
I play animal crossing pocket camp it is big on getting people to save money with paying to get cookies every month which I don’t do also Pokémon unite is the same with a weekly limit on coins

I play exactly one F2P game and have dropped a little money into it to unlock permanent features that will make it more enjoyable for me in the long run (actually I paid for stuff in another game because of a promotion that gave you a ridiculous amout of premium currency. The normal offers are way too overpriced as usual.) For the gacha part, I stick to the free ticket the games gives out. I don't need everything.

Edit: It's a dress-up game, so not paying doesn't keep you from progressing as long as you accept you won't get all event items most of the time.

For nearly all F2P games, I choose to be strictly F2P. I've never spent a lot, but years ago I spent a little bit on a couple of my favorite F2P games. It was rewarding at the time, but then the power creep made it not fun soon after. I learned the lesson that if you spend money on F2P games with microtransactions / gacha mechanics / etc. you're essentially throwing money away. I'd much rather save up and spend on a real game for Switch or an older system than waste money here and there on microtransactions.

There have been a few exceptions for F2P games where a one time purchase unlocks the whole game or makes it ad-free or some other benefit. If I download a game and it's fun and I think I'll continue playing, I'm glad to help support a small developer by paying for their game. :)

I am mostly FTP in mobile games.

I do buy the GSSR summon in FGO each time, though. I get enough enjoyment out of that game to give them some money every once in a while.

i don't really play mobile games, so eh.
but i do get the expansions/season passes for destiny 2 but not the currency though to buy in-game stuff. so i'm inbetween?

Only if it's on a guarantee i'll get what I want.

Currency subscriptions, battle passes, pity systems, etc etc ... What little I spend is with responsibility. I daydream a bit about having a lot of money to spend frivolous and get everything I want, but all that money can go towards more useful things and video games I can actually keep and get my money's worth on.

Oh I once did and I feel still terrible about it. I invested like 500 euros and that is just waaaay to much. This game was really addictive all about "who is the best player" and I was in the top 10. If you do not pay you will lose the place in days. It was also some sort of FOMO with events that do not return. All in all it was enough for me and I decided to uninstall it. A lot of friends I made in the game are still deep into this game - one spend several tousand euros and that is really crazy. So now I am truly f2p in all the games. I only buy the bp in genshin... :)

Free to play, 100%. I'll never buy a lootbox, seems like a waste of money to me personally. As for upgrades and such, nearly all of these games offer you the option to get the upgrades for free, you just have to be patient and wait a bit. And I'm never in a rush to finish mobile games, so sure, I'll wait it out. And if you can only progress with RLC past a certain part.... I'm out.

It doesn't really count, but what I will do is watch an advert for a tiny bonus.

I've pulled every single character in Genshin Impact enough said.

But it's also the only free to play game I play, I don't touch them otherwise, but Genshin is just incredible, although I'll probably stop pulling every character soon, as I am planning on buying a house in the somewhat near future.

I thought you were referring to P2P games like FFXIV and WoW, I didn't realize this was mostly referencing microtransactions lol. If a game is F2P and I like the game enough I have no issues with spending money on microtransactions. I play a LOT of gachas and pay for the monthly cards on a lot of them like Priconne, Tears of Themis, Genshin, Azur Lane, and Arknights. Plus, I'm a sucker for outfits so any games with those like Granblue Fantasy or (literally once) Genshin I buy them immediately. I don't pay for pulls very often though since it's really not that cost effective.

I really dislike the nature of microtransactions, but have paid up a few times nonetheless. but uh, I really stay away from mobile games now because I got tired of feeling pushed to spend money on them. even if I wasn't going to, the fact that they pushed it so hard just really made it unappealing.

I am mostly free to play, however if there is a game I've gotten for free an I've played it over 3 months an still really enjoying the game then I don't mind buying a quid or two of the little packs they offer, I enjoy supporting the devs if it's somthing I truly enjoy but it's got to be somthing I've played for a few months first, there's only one mobile game I really play an I think it's been around 5 or 6 months now an I still play it but I don't really spend anything on it now, just got the odd pack or two a while ago

Hmm, I guess it depends on the situation. Whether or not the game I'm playing has been enjoyable enough for me to to see long term results, then perhaps I will but for the most part? I never really was one for paying additional content in order to win or progress a game unless it was DLC.

I never have played a game with a subscription before (Like WoW) and personally, I don't like P2W games either. It's a psychological persuasiomn the mind of the buyer by having them drop money in order to win or to have a clear advantage, and I'm judy simply not a fan of such practices. P2P is tricky in a sense but in most cases I end up not doing so. I do like F2P more. I play FE Heroes but I grind to get orbs and I have never dropped money on it. I did do this with Pokemon United once and found myself wasting money on it.

Back