• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you like to play — Fast paced or slow?

How do you like to play?

• I like to play at a slow pace and take my time.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • I like to beat the game as soon as possible or as quickly as I can.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • It depends on the game.

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
I know, very vague title.

When you play a video game, do you like playing at a slow pace and taking your time, or do you like to aim for beating the game as quickly as possible? This mainly pertains to games like Pokémon or Mario, but I’m just wondering in general how you play.

Personally, I prefer playing at a slower pace just to take in and enjoy everything the game has to offer. Although, I know some people who beat the game only a day or two after purchasing it.

I plan on taking my time with Pokémon Violet when it releases very soon, so this is why the question popped into my head. Obviously it depends on the game, but I mostly like to play at a slower pace, especially with Pokémon games.

It sorta depends but for the most part I like to take my time. Or rather, I have no choice but to take my time because I get distracted easily and intentionally go the opposite way than I'm supposed to because I can't leave any area unexplored or any stone unturned. 😂

i honestly don’t really play any games that you can play at a fast pace, but generally i prefer to take my time. the slower i go, the longer i can enjoy playing the game and experiencing new aspects of it. :)

I guess my own speed. I don't play games to finish them asap nor to speed run. However if I really like a game, I will sink more hours into it or play it in larger sessions.

I mostly play older RPG's which sort of demand taking things at a slower pace, so I suppose in a general sense, I prefer to take things slow.

But on the other hand, once I've completed a game enough times, I love seeing how I can bulldoze my way through it. This is particularly fun in stealth games, where--once you've memorized enemy patterns and objectives--you can just abandon all caution and scramble to the finish without any consequence.

Slow paced all the way. I want to actually take my time and enjoy a game, explore and try to find all the little things I can, focus on side stuff at the same time, that kind of stuff. Id' only race through a game that I have already played a bunch already and just wanted to experience it again for nostalgia.

A little bit of both, but it mostly depends on the game and situation. Some games require you to go through it fast, while others need more time and thinking, therefore requiring me to slow down. I'm trying my best to take my time with my games at the moment, as I now have everything set up to play. Took me a while to figure our how I wanted to play too. Though I'm definitely gonna slow down with my Pokémon Violet game, as I want to explore every area thoroughly. You never know what you'll find. 😉

As with most, depends on the game. For the majority of games, I take it slow. I aim for 100% completion where possible. Some games, particularly those with pathways blocked off and intended for post-game content I'll rush through, then take my time with the completion. I do that a lot with Pokémon games.

Slow. I don't want the game to be finished cause then that means it's over and that's sad!

I would rather play at a slow pace. I find I enjoy games better if I don’t rush through them. I also miss things if I play to fast. There are times I get impatient and want to finish faster just to see what happens next.

Generally, I only follow a few series with regularity and as such don't buy that many games. I prefer to play through games at a slow pace to get as much enjoyment as I can out of what I do buy. At least for the first playthrough.

That said, some games have multiple routes that have differences or more things become available upon subsequent playthroughs. In such cases, I'm not so precious about it and can go at a more brisk pace.

I am very slow paced in most games. For games that have endings, once I've beaten the game I have very little desire to replay it. So I take my time to explore and/or collect everything on my first playthrough since I know it will probably be my only playthrough. I will stop to do silly, quirky things that I find amusing before continuing the story. If a game says it can be completed in 40 hours, I will often spend double or even triple that amount of time before I reach the end.

In games like Animal Crossing that have no ending, I play them at my own pace. I don't care if it takes me months or years to complete everything. I'm never in a rush. I enjoy taking my time and getting things whenever they show up.

I always find these posts when they're older and usually don't try to bump them, but I'm making an exception this time.

I have a group of online friends who are the first ones to keep hyping up the latest games, get them on day 1, and then beat them the next day or soon after. I just don't get how anyone can have that time or burn through them so quickly. I like to pace myself. I feel it makes the experience more memorable/enjoyable. And games are so expensive to just burn through them so fast.

I always find these posts when they're older and usually don't try to bump them, but I'm making an exception this time.

I have a group of online friends who are the first ones to keep hyping up the latest games, get them on day 1, and then beat them the next day or soon after. I just don't get how anyone can have that time or burn through them so quickly. I like to pace myself. I feel it makes the experience more memorable/enjoyable. And games are so expensive to just burn through them so fast.
I always was the one in the group to be behind when playing games. I'd try to go as fast as I could but it made me rush and feel stressed so I wasn't having fun. I just give up and accept that I play slow and that it's okay.

Really depends, but I mostly play games that require constant input (pvp, racing) or more Nintendo/Indie heavy titles such as AC ofc, Zelda, RPGs, puzzles, simulation. For the latter I prefer the slow pace. Like I love Stardew Valley for example, but the constant time pressure kinda makes me anxious. It's not really real as there's nothing you can miss, but I just don't like a clock running. BotW over Majora's Mask and all.

It most definitely depends on the game. If it’s Spyro, Crash, Sims, I try to play them fast but not always. If it’s Raft, Grounded, Minecraft, I play them slow but also not always. It depends a lot on my mood too.
Post automatically merged:

Really depends, but I mostly play games that require constant input (pvp, racing) or more Nintendo/Indie heavy titles such as AC ofc, Zelda, RPGs, puzzles, simulation. For the latter I prefer the slow pace. Like I love Stardew Valley for example, but the constant time pressure kinda makes me anxious. It's not really real as there's nothing you can miss, but I just don't like a clock running. BotW over Majora's Mask and all.
Oh that time limit is awful! I can’t stand being on a time restraint in Stardew Valley. Ik it’s how a lot of the game functions but it would be much better if they lengthened the time. I would honestly play it more if there wasn’t a time restraint, it makes me too nervous and it’s too nice of a relaxing feeling game for that type of anxiety. I would definitely play that slow paced if I could.

Last edited:
Probably depends on the game. I only like to play one game at a time, so if there's something else I really want to play, maybe I'll speed through the current game, as long as I'm still enjoying it as I go of course.

Back