• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you like to play — Fast paced or slow?

How do you like to play?

• I like to play at a slow pace and take my time.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • I like to beat the game as soon as possible or as quickly as I can.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • It depends on the game.

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters
Definitely depends on the game.

I honestly can't stand games that force you to play them slowly. So, the best games for me are the ones where you can play them either way. I think the ones that I enjoy most are the ones that I can finish quickly...but then continue playing for extra achievements or just for fun.

That said, I tend to just set my own pace as I go. If there are side quests and stuff, I always tend to do those as I go. I've never been one to just play a linear storyline and ignore the other things. I'm always doing the side things, collecting, leveling up, etc. BUT...I do skip through text at lightning speed. I still tend to read most of it...but, I do admittedly skim a lot. If cutscenes lack spoken dialogue and require me to read through text, yeah...I breeze through that kind of thing as quickly as possible.

It depends on the game. For some I'll take my time with it and try to get 100% completion. With others, I just race through it and try to finish it as soon as possible, especially if I'm not enjoying the game and just want to move onto a new game.

According to howlongtobeat, the average time for beating literally every game I play is shorter than how long I take. Even when I’m just playing through the main story I still take longer. I think it’s because I carefully read dialogue while I play.

It very much depends on the genre of the game and how much I'm enjoying playing it. If I enjoy a game, I'll take the time to do absolutely everything. e.g. I'm really enjoying Harvestella at the moment and I've heard of people beating the ten-chapter story by the end of Year 1. I'm in Year 2 and still in Chapter 6 because I've been taking the time to complete the side quests and focus on my farm. When my interest in a game starts to wane that's when I'll probably start skipping things to try and reach the next chapter or the story's conclusion faster.

I will admit though that I'm terrible for skipping dialogue and cutscenes. I get bored if I'm not actively pressing buttons! This might explain why hack 'n' slash games are my favourite, actually - the action is very fast!

Depends on the game.

If i like the story, I just progress slowly. The thing is, if I don't like the story or if I find it boring, I end up progressing faster.

I usually want to beat games as fast as possible but I find myself exploring a lot and trying to get all the items and hidden secrets so I end up taking a lot longer to beat a game.

It depends on the game for me! In Pokemon games I like to enjoy them for a while but then I get bored and try to complete as fast as possible, but for games like Animal Crossing I love playing them slowly and enjoying them unless I am badge grinding for the Dreamer and Travel ones. I mostly play games at a good steady pace but everyonce in a while I will be all fast paced like Pikmin! I love beating my scores over and over again everytime I play Pikmin! (SPECIFICALLY PIKMIN 3 CAUSE THEM FRUITS ARE SO YUMMY LOOKING AND THE GRAPHICS ON WII U ARE DELICIOUS AND I JUST LOVE THAT GAME TO DEATH SOOO FUN)

I like to take my time. My friend gets annoyed with my Pokémon gameplay because I will attempt catching every single pokémon available in an area before moving on (besides the ones barred by level). But I also just like enjoying things at my own pace in general, which happens to be slower than most people.

I like to play at a slower pace. I enjoy exploring, finding hidden places/secrets, and collecting everything that I can!

I'm definitely a fast-paced gamer! There's so many games on my backlog to play, so I don't really have the luxury of taking my time with games. :giggle:

Slow for the most part. I like to take my time, especially in some open world games like Fallout 3/4 where I loot anything and everything, and actually pay attention to the story if it interests me enough... though that didn't apply to FFXIV when I was playing it lmao, there's just too much story in that game.

Generally slow, but it depends on the genre. With platformers I tend to rush through them. In RPGs I take all the time I need to grind, obtain items, and view dialogue. Puzzle games are definitely the most varied in terms of pace, because some want you to act fast (like falling block games), while others want you to think things over (like Picross).

Generally slow, but it depends on the genre. With platformers I tend to rush through them. In RPGs I take all the time I need to grind, obtain items, and view dialogue. Puzzle games are definitely the most varied in terms of pace, because some want you to act fast (like falling block games), while others want you to think things over (like Picross).
I'm the same! And for some odd reason I do like to grind, lol. A nice mindless thing to do when you're tired or stressed. That's why I like games like ACNH and DDLV.

For me it depends on the game, I'd describe my playstyle as a completionist that doesn't slow down, so I tend to try to do everything but don't dawdle too much, am not sure how that fits into fast/slow though :p

Very slowly, in any game Im a very slow gamer because I either get addicted to something you can do on the side, which is what happened in Arceus. I highly enjoy the whole collecting, of data more enjoyable. Litterly at six stars now.

Its kind of my latest past time, and Im more into it then the story and I havent even entered the second land.
--
In regular Pokemon games im so slow. Im a grinder, I grind my Pokemon to level them. In Saphire I got to max friendship with all of my Pokemon as soon as I got them. Id still say tjat *Pokemon Y* was my slowest play through of the game, that and Black.
--
Open worlds are like if I could travel around the world for free. Like I totally get lost because my curiousity is too high.

I don't think I've played a single game that I dont take my sweet time on. In stick of Truth by buddies all commented on how slow I was lol.

But I also think it lets you enjoy the game more, and Id rather enjoy all it has to offer then just blast through it. I think it more awarding in that sense.​

I'm slow at everything in life. I just don't do anything very quickly, even if it's frustrating at times. Most of the extra time comes from my cautiousness in double-checking to make sure I haven't missed anything or made any mistakes, but in video games especially, I get SO distracted because of my curiosity. I'm very much a "I need to finish all the side quests and extra content before moving onto the next area!" type of person.

This is why I really appreciate having someone to level and play with in mmos or multiplayer games, because they help keep me on task and I progress at a rate that is closer to normal. I'm also very prone to getting lost, LOL, so having someone be my guide dog is so helpful. :(

I usually take my time and enjoy what I’m playing. I feel like if I’m rushing through it, then I am not really playing.

For me it really depends on the game. I usually try to finish all side quests before the main missions as long as its not a seemingly infinite amount like Skyrim. However sometimes I get bored and decide to move on to the main quest or I get too invested in the main story and I accidentally finish the game.

There is Pokémon though which is a completely different story because my dad and I have a long standing tradition of racing to see who can finish the Elite Four first. So Pokémon is always a mad dash.

slow-paced - if it's something i'm hitting up that's got a long story then i'd get really burnt out if i try and rush through it

Depends on the structure of the game! if I can tell that I'm supposed to be exploring/ messing around, then I'll happily shirk the main quest and do some side quests/exploring. But if it's a game that is more linear and "urgent," I feel like I have to hurry along and finish the game ASAP.

Back