• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How Do You Feel About Games Adopting the Free-to-Play Model?

How do you feel about games moving to the free-to-play model?

• I love this approach!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I like it, but... (Explain in Comments)

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I'm not a fan. I prefer to just pay for the game up front.

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • I hate it this approach! It's hurting the future of gaming.

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
It sort of depends on what genre the game is. Puzzle and games like solitaire I don’t mind being free. But something like Mario Run or Pocket Camp is where I pretty much draw the line because they basically force you to buy things just to get the most out of the game which is pretty stupid especially for Mario Run since there are Club Nintendo Missions that you can only do if you pay full price for the rest of the levels.

It just really depends on the game.

Fall Guys is a great example as a bigger playerbase making the game better (and keeping it alive).

Something like the Sims 4 is meh because it wants to hook you on unreasonably priced DLC.

Then we have the mobile phone games whose gameplay is completely dependant on you buying stuff. It only exists for you to spend more than you would reasonably spend on any type of game.

Fall Guys works because most reasonably you'd spend $20 to get a nice appearance or get the season pass that allows you to earn enough in-game currency to keep on buying new season passes without spending more money on the game - as long as you play regularly and do quests.

The Sims 4 base game is fine. The act of removing content to repackage is really bad, but at least the base game by itself is fun and allows you to enhance your experience with usermade content.

Predatory mobile games just need to stop existing. I would actually play Pocket Camp if I could actually earn a fraction of the luxury items over time. But they're too expensive and I can just play an actual Animal Crossing game instead. Mobile games are less necessary now because you need an internet connection anyway, and at that point you can just actually use the internet to browse websites and social media. And real good games have been adapted too, without internet I'll just play Slay the Spire, a game I happily bought on my phone. We don't need mobile games anywhere.

Back