• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you pay to play?

Rika092

Untamed
Bells
Spring Bloom Easter Egg
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Pavé Pink Feather
Dreamy Bear Plush
Holiday Candy Cane 2021
Peach (Fruit)
Purple Bat Potion
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Clownfish Plush
Do you pay to play or are you an avid supporter of F2P?

Not sure if I’m posting in the exact right forum...but recently I contemplated about paying to acquire premium currencies for one of the mobile games I’ve been playing. This makes me wonder how people generally feel about whether or not it’s worthwhile pay to play games that are generally free to download but has in-app purchases, and how many people actually end up making these purchases.

This could apply to either mobile games, online games or webpage games

Personally I’m generally F2P, but from time to time gets tempted by in app purchases when I’m too engrossed in a game XD

Games that have tempted me: FEH, Genshin Impact, Flightrising (gems)

I prefer not paying anything, unless it's to outright buy the game. Extra purchases kinda make me mad tbh, especially in games I've already bought. In F2P games though, I still get annoyed by stuff telling/forcing me to pay but I do understand since the game was free to begin with.

When I play *any* free to play game, I never pay extra. I don't like buying premium currency OR loot boxes where what you get is random, and unfortunately, most f2p games only sell those. If instead they chose to sell item packs that you can use in game (like furniture sets or clothing in Pocket Camp), I might be inclined to give in now and then. Otherwise, it feels like a waste of money.

With non free to play games, I have given in to purchasing dlc packs for costumes and stuff because I knew exactly what I was getting. Never ever loot boxes. My bf has also purchased premium currency for fall guys for me so I wouldn't have to farm kudos to afford a costume for that day. Not a purchase that I think was wise but I appreciated it hehe. I never would have for myself otherwise.

For me, it depends on if I already paid for the game or not, and what I'm getting. I'm not currently playing this one anymore, but I'd spend occasionally in a free mobile otome game for event story content, voiced messages, etc., because it was stuff I wanted, and also to support the game. I don't usually pay for cosmetics, especially in games that cost money to begin with.
Other times, I've avoided games altogether because of them being difficult to F2P or otherwise microtransaction-heavy, like AC Pocket Camp. It looks cute and it has a lot of really gorgeous items, but that aspect of it turned me away from the app altogether. I also stay away from games with loot boxes or a gacha mechanic in general, just to spare myself the possible temptation/frustration.

I really don't like paying for unnecessary stuff to play games at all, including mobile games. I especially don't like it with games that I've already paid a hefty sum for, mostly when the paid content is pretty lackluster (like paying $60 for Pokemon SwSh and then another $30 for the DLC, it's a waste imo).

I've only played three mobile games in the past which utilized in-game purchases, those being Miitomo, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, and Pokemon GO. I played Miitomo for free forever and then it shut down, but I do remember missing out on a lot of cool stuff cause I was doing F2P. I actually quit playing Pocket Camp after a while because the temptation to pay real money was so ridiculously high that it became very irritating. I do however still play Pokemon GO and I throw the occasional dollar at it to get 100 coins but that's about it. I always try to play the game F2P if I can help it.

I don't really play many free games, mostly because I don't have a smart phone or other such device to play them on, though I do play some free games on the Switch like Tetris 99.

If I were to get into playing something like what we're talking about here, though, I would just either refuse outright or only purchase on very rare occasion. I wouldn't want it to become a habit. Honestly though, no such games really appeal to me and I would rather put money toward actual console games.

I don't P2W, but I do pay sometimes if there is some ok deal or I want something and I have that extra cash on my bank account.
If the game is F2P, I'm totally fine with the fact that the game is P2W and you must put money on it if you want progress, but otherwise no.

I really don't like paying for unnecessary stuff to play games at all, including mobile games. I especially don't like it with games that I've already paid a hefty sum for, mostly when the paid content is pretty lackluster (like paying $60 for Pokemon SwSh and then another $30 for the DLC, it's a waste imo).

I've only played three mobile games in the past which utilized in-game purchases, those being Miitomo, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, and Pokemon GO. I played Miitomo for free forever and then it shut down, but I do remember missing out on a lot of cool stuff cause I was doing F2P. I actually quit playing Pocket Camp after a while because the temptation to pay real money was so ridiculously high that it became very irritating. I do however still play Pokemon GO and I throw the occasional dollar at it to get 100 coins but that's about it. I always try to play the game F2P if I can help it.

I quit FEH for the exact reason you quit Pocket Camp - the temptation was too real. When I really really into the game back when it first launched, I seriously considered buying orbs so I could have a chance to summon the seasonal characters I like (namely, the Azuras, Chroms, and Tharjas lol). But I'm really glad I didn't because gatcha games are notorious for sucking people into the bottomless P2P hole, and I'm too much of a gambler XD. Also, no guarantee I would've been able to get the character I wanted because the summoning is completely up to RGN.

For the most part I don't like to pay for things free to play games. If possible I would rather just be a little more patient / put in a little more effort to progress rather than pay for things. The only thing I've spent money on in recent times is Pokemon Go, but even then I won't allow myself to spend my coins on cute cosmetic items I'll only occasionally buy some actually useful items (like the incubators/raid passes). I really want the togepi hoodie but I just can't justify it

The only time I've paid money on an otherwise free game was to buy more gold fish in Neko Atsume, lol. I really didn't need to buy more gold fish because I'm able to earn plenty through regular play, which I really appreciate. The only reason why I decided to buy them was to support the developers, honestly. I've had the game on my phone for years, I think it's so sweet to play, and I love that the ads aren't in your face. I definitely didn't mind giving the developers a couple extra dollars!

In general though I tend to stay away from F2P games because they bother me. Either because of the overwhelming amount ads or because it feels like I need to pay money in order to progress or have fun. That's why I prefer mobile games that I can just buy outright or I stick to console games that I can buy outright. I'm not patient enough for the F2P town builders that make me wait hours for my buildings to build 😭

i’m notorious for paying to play, sadly. it’s only ever happened with mobile games, though; i’ll download a game that’s free, get really into it after playing for a bit, try to progress without spending any money but i always get tempted by the continuous “limited-time offer!” and “value pack!” pop ups and before i know it, i’m spending money on a game that i’ll undoubtedly lose interest in in less than a week. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I can’t afford to p2p. But when I get itunes gift cards, it usually goes towards OPTC (in spite of being ticked off by some stuff about the game). I love that game and the characters way too much 😅. I like having the best units (bonus if they are characters I love). I

This is the right forum, for the record! :D

I try not to, although I have been tempted by Pocket Camp, Dragalia Lost, and Genshin Impact as well. What bothers me about games like Genshin is that I’m paying for the chance for something rather than paying for new/additional content. Yes, that is the nature of the games, but it’s not something that makes me feel great doing.

When I used to regularly play these I’d set a limit for myself so I didn’t overspend. During that time if someone asked what I wanted for my birthday or another ‘large’ holiday, I said an Amazon or iTunes gift card so I could buy something for DL or PC. With you on that one, @Dunquixote 😅

Oh goodness is it tempting. I was on a big Genshin kick for a while and fortunately I stopped myself from paying. Consequently I kind of lost interest in it, though. That's the danger of these type of games, inevitably you reach a plateau where you really can't continue to improve without paying into it. Usually I try to walk away from these games (usually mobile) for a few months and find when I come back there usually is a special offer or some other incentive to pick it back up again. Most of the F2P games are free just to play to be sure, but they're actually pay to win. It can be incredibly frustrating.

My one exception to this "rule" of not paying for extra content is Pocket Camp- they got me lol. I used to pay for PC plans and leaf tickets before ACNH dropped. I haven't invested RLC in it since but I'm still temped. It's easy to fall down the "it's just a few dollars" rabbit hole and end up spending hundreds- it really adds up!

For the most part, I try to play free unless a single purchase or a non ad purchase is available. Even then the game has to be fair in how it rewards free to play players vs the paying player. I play a lot of Mario kart tour and it’s very difficult to get a particular character from the game all because I don’t pay enough to Nintendo. While the free to play players get loads of koopling drivers instead of the more interesting characters like nabbit.

I don't play mobile games anymore, but when I did I hated in-app purchases because they are such an obvious cash grab. I also felt like for me its a waste of money since you can only play a mobile game for so long before it gets repetitive and/or you lose interest. I also prefer not to pay for additional DLCs in console video games (where you pay a one time purchase price) but have made exceptions for Pokemon (SW/SH). I

It depends how much I like the game and how easy it is to earn the in-game currency. I spent a lot of RLC on skins in Smite (they are not very generous at all with gems) but I've spent way less on Genshin Impact.. with the Welkin Moon you can easily save up 10k+ gems in like a month.
One game that I regret spending money on was the mobile game Lords. I wish I could go back in time and take my phone away. 🥴 Honestly I'm just not good at staying F2P but I think I'm getting better about it. If Animal Crossing New Horizons ever adds micro-transactions though I am probably doomed

I never pay in any free games on mobile. I do it the hard way to earn the game money by keep playing. But l don't play those gambling mobile games no more. I only play FE Heroes and piano Tiles.

The minute I feel the need to spend additional money on a game (whether it be free or not) is when I stop playing. I have zero tolerance for it, honestly.

Back