• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you have any phobias?

This might sound a bit weird but I can't stand Play-Doh. Just the thought of the putty alone makes me quest alongside the smell and feel of it... urgh it's just gross even if it's aimed at kids as an art activity. 🤢

I have some.
For some reason I don’t want to post them.
Is fear of revealing your phobias even a phobia I should know about?

I don’t like telling people my phobias. I feel like someone might use them against me.

Not sure if it counts as a phobia but I have a LOT of anxiety and fear surrounding bugs and vermin, but only if they're encroaching in my space without my permission. I'm way better with bugs and vermin in an educational / museum setting, since I know about them being there ahead of time. I really hate not being able to predict their behavior :(

I also have a lot of anxiety around balls and balloons. Afraid of getting hit because a ton of mean kids used to throw basketballs at me and that HURT. And afraid of balloons popping because some really mean "kid's education" clown made fun of me for trying to cover my ears and then went ahead and popped the balloon after I uncovered them?!

i used to have a bad fear of bugs until recently, but i still get a little surprised when i see one crawling around. i almost always save them and put them outside nonetheless — i used to love bugs as a little kid, and i hate seeing any squished or hurt.

Not sure I have phobias, but I'd say I fear debt and lightning to heightened degrees and I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. I used to have a fear of dogs throughout my childhood and teen years after an incident where a big dog scared me when I was really young, but I've gotten used to dealing with dogs over the years and now I'm generally fine with them.

Agoraphobia - my anxiety about leaving home has been steadily increasing over the years.

I may have claustrophobia as well.

I hate bugs, spiders - any kind of insects.

That’s all that I can think of but there are a lot of things that I’m sensitive to that cause me tremendous anxiety like noise, interacting with people, dirty environments, gum (thanks to high school), food and drink spills, sometimes food smells.

Not sure if there's a name for this, but I am INCREDIBLY terrified of buzzing. Like, buzzing insects. Bees, stink bugs, beetles. You name it. Bonus points if its a flying insect. I love bugs, but if they buzz? Nope. Nope nope nope. I'm also scared of big bodies of water, the ocean specifically.

SPIDERS
The tarantulas in-game REALLY give me the heebie-jeebies.

Also the feeling of free falling gives me terrible anxiety. I'm not sure if there is a specific phobia name for it. I'm not scared of heights per se, but if I look down long enough I'll start to picture myself falling and it makes me really light-headed and overall anxious. I'm real fun at amusement parks!

Stairs..

While I was working at a movie theatre, I slipped down so many flights of stairs in theatres. They were so soft, and I fell down alot, twisted my ankle, spilled hot coffee all over myself, hurt my back,

Now I get really tense, and nervous with large flights of stairs. Sometimes I even have to stop, to tell myself that I'll be ok..

my two major phobias are emetophobia (fear of vomit) and trypanophobia (fear of needles)

i can say that i’ve always really been scared of vomit/vomiting, i hate the idea of it, whenever my stomach hurts i start to panic that i’m going to throw up. i believe part of this is because i haven’t vomited in years so i can understand why it’d scare me

as for needles/injections, i’ve never been a big fan of shots, but it only got bad a few years ago. i almost cried getting my flu shot because i was so nervous LOL

Tons, of which especially thanatophobia. The thought of not being alive anymore, including not being able to sense anything anymore, makes me paranoid as ever, and whenever people try to discuss death where I am (they all think it's "normal" and "part of one's life"), I try to evade it as much as possible because it just makes me feel so scared, and then I eventually realise too late that I could've just said something in the way of "could you please not talk about that, I'm paranoid of death".

I also have severe lepidopterophobia, which first manifested on a holiday in France in 2008 when a butterfly suddenly entered the holiday home but my caretaker refused to remove it while they knew darn well that I felt very afraid every time I went up and down the stairs, since the butterfly was on the window above the stairs the entire time. This fear became gradually worse when seeing moths near me and such too often for the subsequent years (my very own bedroom became almost entirely infested with moths out of nowhere in 2015, eventually forcing me to sleep in the living room for almost over a month), and even when playing Animal Crossing, I still (try to) play it by day as often as possible in the summer because I even get scared of the moths (especially the oak silk moth) that I see there, despite it only just being a game.
Similarly, I have pretty severe entomophobia (absolutely not to be confused with emetophobia) for the majority of other existent bugs, of which mainly stick bugs (with which it first manifested when I was nearly 8), cockchafers, silverfish, ladybirds (a petit restaurant where I used to 'work' for about 10 months from August 2016 to June 2017 was majorly infested with those during the winter), caterpillars and other larvae, mantises, crickets... but especially wasps whenever the letter S is included in the name of the month (August and September), because that's where they become extremely aggressive and especially come near you when you have a bucket of candy or chocolate sprinkles on your lunch sandwich!
So yeah, because of those two phobias, I either keep the windows and doors closed at all times, or only open them up whenever there's anything in the way of a net in front of them, to completely repel the bugs.

Furthermore, I have arsonphobia, which I discovered when the recklessness of fire and the loss of belongings in its process were being discussed in science class way too often in my last year of school overall (10th grade), coprophobia (mainly when it involves an animal's 'bodily waste', this most likely manifested when suddenly seeing a very explicit and uncensored (the Nether really doesn't know how to censor visual explicit content...) announcement for some horror show about animal hoarding on TV in the evening, aka the worst time to even promote that when you're aged 12 and about to head to bed), necrophobia (yes, also when it's Yuri's death as seen in DDLC), moderate trypanophobia, acrophobia, aviophobia, trypophobia and claustrophobia, slightly severe haphephobia (which is most likely fairly common when you're autistic like me), an overall phobia of sirens (because of Siren Head, is there even an official name for it?) and lifelong achluo-/nyctophobia. (Trust me, I am still mandatory to sleep with a nightlight because I become very anxious of the unpredictability of the dark.)

...I really am scared of a ton of stuff, huh? 🤐

Last edited:
phobia of needles! i dont know its name though, but i hate it bc it prevents me from getting any type of tattoos or piercings, and each time i have to take a blood test i have a really bad time 😭 also when i was you ger i was very scared of darkness but i grew out of it

I have Acrophobia (fear of heights)

Astraphobia (fear of lightning), and I guess by extension brontophobia (fear of thunder).

Back