• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Phobias, reasons that stop you from seeing some movies

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Im not talking about like slasher horror, not being a fan of huge gore, or romance. Those sensitive themes.

Talking about personal reasons, like how I can never see Space movies because I have a HUGE phobia of floating in space, and I always feel weak.

So what about you? What are some reasons you don't watch a film.

This is gonna be super weird but pregnancy. I have tokophobia and anything that had childbirth as a theme is an instant nope from me. I can handle like... Seeing pregnant people but when it goes to like hospital scenes where it's actually happening I'm like, oh no, were changing the channel, thank you.

On the flip side I have a huge fear of tornadoes and Twister is one of my favorite movies. Even if it's not like... Good

edit: idk why I didn't think of this sooner but I did as soon as I pressed post. Ghosts. I don't **** with ghosts. Some times it's okay but I'd rather not watch movies with them in it, especially if they're humanoid.

This is a great thread. thank you for starting it CylieDanny! I don’t really have any full blown phobias but when I read Corrie’s, that immediately clicked! Cuz yeah, I DO NOT WATCH war movies….of any kind. And It’s really because there is so much of it in the world and it is such a major topic of all news media that I just cannot watch it. It amps of my anxiety and feeds into my depression, so nope!

Kitsuragi, I have a masters in Nursing and I was surprised, that I had never heard tokophobia before. What an interesting phobia and such a bummer to experience!

This is gonna be super weird but pregnancy. I have tokophobia and anything that had childbirth as a theme is an instant nope from me. I can handle like... Seeing pregnant people but when it goes to like hospital scenes where it's actually happening I'm like, oh no, were changing the channel, thank you.

On the flip side I have a huge fear of tornadoes and Twister is one of my favorite movies. Even if it's not like... Good

edit: idk why I didn't think of this sooner but I did as soon as I pressed post. Ghosts. I don't **** with ghosts. Some times it's okay but I'd rather not watch movies with them in it, especially if they're humanoid.
I can't handle pregnancy scenes like that either. I either temporarly leave the room or close my eyes. But even the sounds I just-cant,
Post automatically merged:

War movies or any movie that is just in war times as a setting. I can't handle them at all. War is awful and unfortunately real so I just can't handle watching that.
Im not a huge fan of war movies theres a few ive liked. But yeah, war is aweful and it is hard to watch. I also just find them super depressing.

I don’t like it when someone throws up in a movie…usually, there’s no warning for it, it just happens. (often in a comedy movie, though I don’t find it funny at all) It makes me feel kind of nauseous myself.
Oh I forgot to mention that one. Yes I hate random nausia scenes they make me feel gross and Ive left theatres because of those.

I don't like watching anything where animals are in danger, get hurt, etc. For example, I've always wanted to see Watership Down because I think I'd appreciate the story behind it, but nope. I just can't handle it.

I also don't like anything involving eyes. I have a phobia about that and I feel squeamish just seeing close-up shots of eyes because I'm terrified something will happen. I can watch plenty of gory scenes, but if I see someone just pointing something at a person's eyes I'm out.

Spiders and other eight legged creatures.

Sudden loud noises like fireworks, guns, and air horns. They physically hurt my ears. Although it was worse when I was a child. I avoid action movies because of this reason. If I can’t avoid it, then I’ll cover my ears as soon as someone draws out their gun. I hate it when they prolong the stand off for tension. Especially when they do shoot the person in the end. It feels so unnecessary.

Not a movie, but seeing images of planets, solar/lunar eclipse, and asteroids makes my skin crawl for some reason. I’m starting to get used to images of the milky way though.

I don't think I have any phobias beyond some tokophobia but it doesn't really make me avoid certain movies.. Outside of that I try to avoid movies with animal abuse in them (unless its the type of movie where the protagonist gets their revenge Wick-style).
I also avoid movies with ridiculously long, unneeded SA/torture scenes. And horror movies with over-the-top human mutation/mutilation

Kitsuragi, I have a masters in Nursing and I was surprised, that I had never heard tokophobia before. What an interesting phobia and such a bummer to experience!
I had the name introduced to me by a past therapist, she said it's not super common but it's starting to pop up more amongst people my age. I always thought I was silly for it :p

I don't like watching anything where animals are in danger, get hurt, etc. For example, I've always wanted to see Watership Down because I think I'd appreciate the story behind it, but nope. I just can't handle it.

I also don't like anything involving eyes. I have a phobia about that and I feel squeamish just seeing close-up shots of eyes because I'm terrified something will happen. I can watch plenty of gory scenes, but if I see someone just pointing something at a person's eyes I'm out.
Both of these. Yes I avoid animal abuse, but even more eyes. Yes I can do nothing that involves eyes.

If theres anything sharp pointed at an eye I am out.

I don't think I have any phobias beyond some tokophobia but it doesn't really make me avoid certain movies.. Outside of that I try to avoid movies with animal abuse in them (unless its the type of movie where the protagonist gets their revenge Wick-style).
I also avoid movies with ridiculously long, unneeded SA/torture scenes. And horror movies with over-the-top human mutation/mutilation
Ive only seen a few movies with torture scenes, and yeah. I try to avoid them too.

I don’t think there’s anything currently but when I was a kid I was watching The Incredible Shrinking Woman with my mom and there’s a scene where the tiny woman falls into a sink drain and cried for help while the housekeeper was completely oblivious and listening to music and it scared and shocked the absolute crap outta me. It was supposed to be funny but I was so weirded out and horrified that I just sat there petrified in silence. I didn’t even want to talk about it and have to replay the scene in my mind so I didn’t say anything and so mom just assumed from my lack of a reaction that I was bored of the movie and turned it off and we never watched it again. It wasn’t till a few years ago that I remembered and told her XD

I had the name introduced to me by a past therapist, she said it's not super common but it's starting to pop up more amongst people my age. I always thought I was silly for it :p
Yes! I was reading that as well. It has probably been more prevalent than anyone realized. It’s just finally getting recognized! Glad you found out you aren’t silly! Unless of course when you want to be. 🤣

I don’t think there’s anything currently but when I was a kid I was watching The Incredible Shrinking Woman with my mom and there’s a scene where the tiny woman falls into a sink drain and cried for help while the housekeeper was completely oblivious and listening to music and it scared and shocked the absolute crap outta me. It was supposed to be funny but I was so weirded out and horrified that I just sat there petrified in silence. I didn’t even want to talk about it and have to replay the scene in my mind so I didn’t say anything and so mom just assumed from my lack of a reaction that I was bored of the movie and turned it off and we never watched it again. It wasn’t till a few years ago that I remembered and told her XD
Watching as a kid sounds horrifying! Seeing some shows now as an adult I wonder why on earth anyone thought kids would enjoy the scary parts, lol!

Last edited:
I don't have a fear of zombies but I find them completely repulsively disgusting. I don't even want to hear them. I avoid movies or shows that have a lot of that in it, as well as general cannibalism. They make me want to vomit and they anger me. It's not cool nor cute. Basic corpses whether moving or not, don't bother me though. It's the cannibalism and gross sound effects associated with that, that bothers me.

Another are movies or shows that has a lot of stuff pertaining to harming of kids. It's the worst.

----------------

Fear wise, centipedes. Inuyasha is a great anime but I did hate the demon centipede looking things. If they were realistic instead of anime I probably wouldn't have continued it. If the story wasn't so interesting to me, I probably wouldn't have continued it because of those wormy centipede things. Luckily in movies, those bugs are rarely chosen. Usually it is spiders or roaches or something that don't bother me that much.

Another fear wise, Dolls. No thanks. Will avoid.
But I don't watch horror stuff so.

I heard when Saving Private Ryan came out, a lot of people left the theaters upset because of the brutality. They left in the beginning when the allies are invading Omaha Beach. While war is very awful, I'm kind of glad that they didn't shy away or tone down the violence. War needs to be shown for what it is. A brutal gory mess. Believe it or not, a lot of soldiers in the American Civil War were excited to go to war because they thought it would be fun. It wasn't until they got their first taste of war that they realized what they signed up for. Even today people glorify this war.

To many times people glorify war as this amazing thing that it really isn't. In fact. Civilians never understood why soldiers returned 'damaged' when they were fine. It wasn't until Matthew Brady and other Civil War photographers decided to take pictures of the aftermath of war that the public realized what they had sent their husbands, sons, and family off to. Heck even in WW2 the public didn't quite understand what was really going on because all they were getting was radio news of people hyping up the war or exaggerated comical takes on what war is through plays, cartoons, ect.

Anyway I just saw some posting about how they disliked the war movies and I wanted to chime in that it's better for them to depict war for what it is rather than how they used to depict it as this amazing glamorous journey.

I heard when Saving Private Ryan came out, a lot of people left the theaters upset because of the brutality. They left in the beginning when the allies are invading Omaha Beach. While war is very awful, I'm kind of glad that they didn't shy away or tone down the violence. War needs to be shown for what it is. A brutal gory mess. Believe it or not, a lot of soldiers in the American Civil War were excited to go to war because they thought it would be fun. It wasn't until they got their first taste of war that they realized what they signed up for. Even today people glorify this war.

To many times people glorify war as this amazing thing that it really isn't. In fact. Civilians never understood why soldiers returned 'damaged' when they were fine. It wasn't until Matthew Brady and other Civil War photographers decided to take pictures of the aftermath of war that the public realized what they had sent their husbands, sons, and family off to. Heck even in WW2 the public didn't quite understand what was really going on because all they were getting was radio news of people hyping up the war or exaggerated comical takes on what war is through plays, cartoons, ect.

Anyway I just saw some posting about how they disliked the war movies and I wanted to chime in that it's better for them to depict war for what it is rather than how they used to depict it as this amazing glamorous journey.

*waves* This is directed at me lol. I actually saw Saving Private Ryan! The beginning scene was super hard to watch for me. I actually almost left the room but sat through it as I was told it gets less intense. After that, the rest was good and I agree that the message of the movie was great. I too agree that showing war being as brutal as it is is important, they're just not for me.

I can’t handle movies or shows where something happens to a pet or baby/child. Cannot. I will either cry, or internalize it and get depressed and dream something similar. It just hits too close to home for me, since I lost two pets this year and we have children. I get especially sensitive about children because of Nicholas, since he’s fully dependent on me.

Back