• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you have any phobias?

hospitals, germs, needles, and surgery. i think they're all related to the same past trauma. when i was 4 or 5 y/o, i was hospitalized for something related to poor respiratory health. my mom, dad, and uncles took turns visiting me after work or on their off days, but i remember feeling so scared and alone in my own hospital room when they weren't there with me. doctors and nurses would step in and out of my hospital room to do tests on me and inject needles, but i didn't know/understand what they were for. i also had quite a few wires and cords attached to me. i was afraid that moving too much or removing them and re-attaching them would be painful, so i didn't shower. i think i might've felt dirty and therefore gotten the idea that hospitals were dirty. a few years later, my dad brought me with him to visit my brother in the hospital. i vomited outside and that reaffirmed my phobia. as an adult, i can visit a hospital waiting area just fine, but visiting a hospital room makes me feel anxious, dirty, and like i need to vomit. seeing hospital rooms in pictures, tv shows, and movies are fine though.

even before the pandemic- i've had anxiety about catching an illness if a sick person coughs, blows their nose, sneezes, touches my things, or talks near me. i've made it a habit to wash my hands with soap for 20 secs regularly, avoid touching my face, sanitize things that i'm bringing home from outside, clean frequently touched surfaces, and shower as soon as i get home. besides wisdom teeth removal, i don't recall having any other surgery. the removal is common and involves a small incision, so that was prob why it was fine. however, i'd prob fear something uncommon and/or involving a large incision. i think i've overcome my fear for needles i recognize/get regularly (flu shots and blood tests), but something like the anesthetic syringe for a wisdom teeth removal (i don't get this regularly) would make me anxious. seeing a sick person coughing/sneezing near others and medical needles on screen is fine for me, but i can't watch/see incisions. i think the fear of germs, needles, and surgery has to do with something entering my body and it's not in my control in a sense?

I have mild claustrophobia which I'm 98% sure stems from the fact that I got stuck in a heating duct in the basement at my aunt's house when I was like seven and thought I was going to Die in there and no one was ever going to find me

Dark and deep waters.

I was like 9 or 10 at the time when it first struck me. My uncle had brought two of those boogie boards to the beach party we had. My cousin, just a couple years older than me, and I agreed to go on the boards and go on the water. My uncle would hold our boards while we were on them and he'd steer us towards the deep. He was the one swimming and we were just on the top of the water. I remember panicking so hard when we made it so far, that there were just jagged black rocks as if they were buildings in the deep water. It was dark, I couldn't see the sand. I started putting my hands and my legs on the board and screaming and crying. I couldn't see anything pass like a foot underwater. I don't remember how we got back to shore ;~; But that still scares me.

Couple years later Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess came out. There's the water dungeon in Lake Hyrule and there was a part where you had to swim underwater to find the boss key. I could not. There was this banging sound coming from underwater and you could not see anything under there because the dungeon itself was dark. I put down the game for 6 months til I came back to it to finally just face it. Same thing happened with Skyrim and Witcher 3. Anytime I had to go underwater and it was dark, I just freeze for a second.

It hasn't been so bad as to where I need to stop playing a game for a long period of time, or I would not go to the beach. I know it's just this weird ominous feeling in my gut when I see dark and deep waters, but I know I'm also surrounded by it. I live in Hawaii ffs. I do face it. I just have that memory on the boogie board and it's just spoopy.

i am literally terrified of butterflies. like i hate bugs huge fear of them, but butterflies man. they look so pretty until you see them up close with their crawly legs and such. when i was young my class kept caterpillars, and seeing them turn into butterflies made my stomach turn. like i hate hate caterpillars, and butterflies are just caterpillars with wings.

i’m conclusion, butterflies are worms with wings and it’s terrifying how many people hate bugs but will like butterflies 😪 jk jk if you love butterflies keep loving them i just have weird phobias lolol

I used to have a massive phobia over dogs as one attacked me as a child. But I overcame it and love dogs now!
I have a bit of claustrophobia. I don't like small rooms where I can't easily get an exit. It causes me to panic.

I have acrophobia, but only when it's extreme heights. Like, you wouldn't catch me in a hot air balloon. Those things are scary, imo. And glass floors where you can see through to the bottom? Yeah, no thanks.

Yes! Almost everything, but the main one is spiders and sharks, if a spider gets close to me no matter the size I start crying/freeze. If nobody is around to kill it I go into an anxiety attack, sharks I cannot even look at on a screen, same with spiders.

things like slugs, snails, worms and anything gross like that scare me, also all bugs actually and cats too

i'm also terrified of big areas and i get really freaked out around other people because u never know how they will act, this is one of the reasons why i'm scared to leave the house

also needles, like the ones that jab ur arm
i hate any kind of pain and prefer to stay in one piece so i do not need some doctor stabbing my arm!
sorry i just really hate needles 😅

oof and that music from pokemon DP, the one that plays in the ghost house, it's horrifying i can't believe nintendo casually put that music in a kids game
i don't mind this one so much anymore but it haunted me as a child and i couldn't sleep because it was all i could hear, even though it wasn't playing

most importantly ghosts and night demons, they probably aren't real but what if they are 👀

i have a lot of phobias and get scared pretty easily 😅

ugh vomit.. i have emetophobia not in the sense of being afraid of me personally getting ill/throwing up, but of other people doing it. if someone even says they feel slightly ill I'll avoid them just in case. sometimes flying/long car journeys can be stressful if there are people i don't know on them because there's no getting away from it there. and if i see vomit/see people throw up then i feel ill and start shaking etc etc. it's not exclusive to humans though, even if one of my cats throws up i have to be far away lmao

I have way too many phobias 😂 so I'll just try and narrow them down to the worst:

Insects/Bugs - mostly spiders, these days I can just about manage seeing a little one but the large ones terrify me. Also really dislike insects that can fly in my face such as crane flies and moths, plus cockroaches and bettles as they just look creepy to me.

Heights - this only really relates to very tall places that don't feel safe to me like certain rollercoasters (generally if they're very tall and old) and tall bridges (don't often go across tall bridges but I have an odd paranoia that the car will fall of the bridge and into the water below)

Needles (or any hospital procedure) - have had to put up with way too many needles over the last couple of years that this shouldn't really be a fear anymore but I have an awful pain threshold so I'm still scared every time they come back around.

Ocean - doesn't really worry me on a cruise as I feel safe on them but the overall thought of the ocean scares me, it's unnerving not knowing what lives down in the depths

I have way too many phobias 😂 so I'll just try and narrow them down to the worst:

Insects/Bugs - mostly spiders, these days I can just about manage seeing a little one but the large ones terrify me. Also really dislike insects that can fly in my face such as crane flies and moths, plus cockroaches and bettles as they just look creepy to me.

Heights - this only really relates to very tall places that don't feel safe to me like certain rollercoasters (generally if they're very tall and old) and tall bridges (don't often go across tall bridges but I have an odd paranoia that the car will fall of the bridge and into the water below)

Needles (or any hospital procedure) - have had to put up with way too many needles over the last couple of years that this shouldn't really be a fear anymore but I have an awful pain threshold so I'm still scared every time they come back around.

Ocean - doesn't really worry me on a cruise as I feel safe on them but the overall thought of the ocean scares me, it's unnerving not knowing what lives down in the depths
This, I feel uneasy about alot of these things.

here we go... I have:
a fear of cruise ships/long boat rides (titanic, anyone? its like my fear of crashes, but for boats only)
a fear of drowning (I love the water and swimming, so dying in it is really scary for me)
a extreme fear of ANY kind of crash (I am absolutely terrified and for this reason I am always skeptical about going on planes and the subway)
a fear of extreme heights (this is kind of self-explanatory)

I think that's it.

I have a phobia of caves. Didn't discover it until I went down deep into a very very deep cave lmao. Which was a fun experience. Never EVER will I do that again. My heart starts pounding so hard I feel it in my palms when I think too hard about caves. I feel physically disgusted by the thought of going down one. It is off limits for me.

Also, not sure if this counts. But I have miso-phonia, which is an extreme repulsion to certain sounds. I become very very uncomfortable and frustrated at the sound of drinking/gulping or chewing lol. Also the sound of softly splashing water, like when you move your hand in a pool or something. I don't know why. It makes me so angry that I want to scream, it just triggers some sort of frustration in my brain for some reason lol.

I'm afraid of heights and also of vomit. Like, no matter where I am, I always need a plastic bag with me, in case I need to throw up for whatever reason. Also, I am constantly thinking that when I go out, I will see someone doing it / someone who did it, same for when I watch something on TV / Internet. It's just constantly in my mind.. and the worst is, that I am constantly looking around, in hopes that I won't see anything, but because of that I always find it U-U

I never thought I had any phobias until I felt real uncomfortable looking at the barnacles on the Pirates of the Caribbean guy. Since then I've noticed other clusters of small holes repulse me so I probably have trypophobia.

I have a really strange phobia of going down wooden stairs. Going up is okay, but going down I get really awful depth perception and I'm always scared I'm gonna misstep or fall through.

Back