• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you ever feel like coming back to a game, but you don't have the motivation to come back to it?

Do you ever feel like going back to a game, but you don't have the motivation to?

• Definitely

Votes: 74 97.4%
  • Not really

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

Clock

Bells
Purple Hybrid Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Golden Watering Can
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Title says it all.

I want to level up the new Splatoon 3 catalog, but at the same time I don't have the motivation to play it. I also missed Big Run because I didn't feel like playing at all. It's pretty much burnout at this point.

Same thing applies to other games, which I end up taking a break from it and returning when I really feel like it.

me with new horizons for the past year. i stopped playing around this time last year due to everything going on in my personal life, and it took me forever to start playing again. i wanted to play, but i also didn’t want to play, if that makes sense lol. i just didn’t have the time, energy or motivation. i would go through phases where all i wanted to do was play, and i’d play nonstop for a few days, but then i’d get burnt out and stop playing for weeks/months at a time again.

i actually only got caught up to present time in-game last week, and already i’ve stopped playing again lol. it sucks, since i really do want to play consistently, i just don’t have the energy or motivation much anymore.

This is literally how I play games lol. I sit around wanting and wanting to play and then eventually I'll bite. Could be in a month, a year, never, you never know!

This is literally me with emulating Puyo POP Fever. I want to play it on Very Hard for the extra challenge, but also don't want to because I don't want to die inside/suffer.

Yes, I'm kind of burnt out on New Horizons. I keep trying to get myself to play more but I can't really force it, I have to be in a certain mood and have the motivation

all the time lol. i keep meaning to shiny hunt on scarvio but can't be bothered because it's such an arduous process. i've been wanting to replay super paper mario for years now but don't want to go through pulling my wii/u out of storage and sitting downstairs to play it. i still have a few unfinished games in my library, like dk tropical freeze and yoshi's woolly world. i haven't played NH for at least a month, though that's largely because the game is highkey just boring at this point. i think my entire shtick is going off of games super quickly asdfghj.

This definitely happens to me with Animal Crossing games. It has also happened with Stardew Valley and any game I got stuck in. There might be other examples I forgot.

It took me a lot longer than I care to admit to finish Super Mario Odyssey for this reason. I can't possibly fathom why, because I was enjoying that game quite a lot. But I got to a point where I put it down for a few days but didn't get the energy to return to it for a long time.

Minecraft every time. I get inspired and relish in my memories of the game but there are so many clunky things about trying to make big builds etc. it gets annoying. I still have fun, I just kinda get underwhelmed. I have more fun on the older versions because of nostalgia, there’s some stuff in the newer versions the just clutter the game. The Nether and to a lesser extent Aquatic updates were still great tho.

Also Mario Kart Wii, updating that + Minecraft every time I want to play the game Is kinda annoying ngl. And sometimes on fighting games I feel bad I’m not as good as I used to be and give up lol

me and my sister got undertale on switch a few months ago
we already completed the pacifist route so now we are doing the genocide route (because we are heartless people lol) but we have completely lost motivation in the game. undyne the undying is just so hard and the joycon drift makes it 10x worse. i think we have tried over 60 times, and it doesn’t help that she went to college so now i don’t even have her help bc she is so much better than me :,)

Yes, frequently. It happened with ACNH, and I'm only now finishing my island. I also keep meaning to finish the Spyro Reignited trilogy, but there's something missing from the remakes that I can't quite put my finger on.

I definitely need to get another copy of Let’s Go Eevee because I forgot to take the Pokéball Plus Mew out of my party and can’t transfer it into Pokémon Home. But I don’t want to pay over $40 for a used copy at GameStop for a game that I’m only going to turn on for five minutes to get Mew out of the party to transfer it into another game. I just lost interest in the Let’s Go games after two months.

me and my sister got undertale on switch a few months ago
we already completed the pacifist route so now we are doing the genocide route (because we are heartless people lol) but we have completely lost motivation in the game. undyne the undying is just so hard and the joycon drift makes it 10x worse. i think we have tried over 60 times, and it doesn’t help that she went to college so now i don’t even have her help bc she is so much better than me :,)
this reminds me of how i have tried to do the undertale genocide route twice, but both times I got to sans and ended up giving up because i CANNOT do that, both times i ended up quitting the game for months and I'm sure I'll probably go back to it in the future and restart lol

Yes, all the time. This happens to me a lot with RPGs. Even though I love them, I often don't have the time to invest in them. I'll start them when it looks like my schedule is going to be clear, but midway through things will come up. Once I've gone a week or two without playing, I lose the desire to continue. Months or years later, I'll want to pick them back up, but since they're story-driven I know I'll need to start over from scratch and that just feels too exhausting.

Right now, there are two games I'd really like to go back and complete, but I don't have time to play both and can't decide between them. I'm waiting until after the holidays anyway because I'm too busy through the end of the month.

In the past, yes. These days it doesn't happen, though. I've become a lot better about finishing games once I start them. So even if I don't like a game, I'm always motivated to get to the ending so I can mark it as completed before I move onto another game, so that way I never feel like I have to come back to it.

yes.. persona 5 lol. it's crazy too cause my sister and I are almost done with finishing it but I just can't bring myself to pick it up again. I keep saying eventually I'll do it but I end up playing something else hahah. On a side note, sally face.. oh boy. I was almost done with the game but when it did it's last update I lost alllllll my progress. I really want to finish it but that hurt losing all of that TTT-TTT

ya this is how I play games (sadly). As I grow older I lose more attention span for gaming, if they take longer than 20hours to finish chances are I’m never finishing them :[

Definitely. I deleted my old Steam for several reasons and tried replaying some good games that always go on sale, but the passion just isn't there anymore. Maybe it's because my PC sucks, or because I have so many Switch games now and I just prefer handheld as I always have. And it doesn't help that all good indie games get Switch releases too, the best ones even physical ones which I love collecting.

To be more specific... I tried Tomb Raider and I love the game, but there's just no passion in me completing it. I got like 14 hours and feel like... yeah that's nice. After getting rid of my obsessive Steam account the desire to achievement hunt isn't there and it really changed my gaming experience for the better.

Also I got the collectors edition of all the Danganronpa, but there's just no point in replaying all of that for me. I prefer replaying Ace Attorney, but both games have these investigations that draw out too much.

I think I'll just play Minecraft and all of the Sims on my laptop. I played the Switch version of Minecraft and it's good compared to other console versions in my opinion, but it just feels better on a computer. And I also have like 5000 games on Itch.io from the charity bundles, so my current Steam will just be empty and track Sims 4 playtime I guess. Sims 3 is much better though.

I think I'm just tired of long PC games. Just give me a HOG and I'll sink the two hours into it when I'm bored. Or "casual" games as in I can play them casually for a session or two. Basically Slay the Spire.

Oh, and I still play Animal Crossing. Three versions at the minute. WW, NL and of course NH.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst I WILL come back for you I promise just... not today... or tomorrow...

It feels awful because the original Mirror's Edge is my favorite game of all time and Catalyst isn't missing any features, so I'm not sure why my motivation is so lacking?

Back