• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you associate 4am as "late" or "early"?

Late or Early?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GreenTeaHarbor1297

Bells
Perfect Apple
Light Green Scenery
Made a thread about this topic a few years ago on Personality Cafe and inthe00s and generated some interesting feedback, so thought I might as well ask this topic here.

In your mind, do you associate the hour of 4am as "late" or "early"? Do you associate it more as a night owl hour, or an early bird hour?

In real life, I've met both folks that wake up at 4am, generally those that work early jobs starting around 6am, as well as folks that stay up past 4am, generally night shift workers. I myself used to wake up at 4:30am when I was working a shift that started at 6:00am a few years ago, but I've also stayed up past 4am on several occasions, like about ten years ago when I was in my early teens and found staying up late to be "cool", as well as during the pandemic back in 2020 when I was off work for a couple months.

Being awake at 4am, either from staying up late or waking up early, will mean sacrificing vital time in either the morning or the evening.
Even a night owl that stays up until 2am can get 7 hours of sleep and wake up at 9am, where they can still catch breakfast at places that stop serving it by 11am, can still work a normal dayshift (not a 9-5, but an 11-7 definitely), and in the winter time they can still get a half-days worth of daylight.
Likewise, an early bird that wakes up at 6am can get 7 hours of sleep by going to bed at 11pm, where they can still enjoy some nightly recreation for either the bar, for Netflix or gaming, or for creative pursuits that come more naturally during the night such as reading, writing, or drawing.
Being awake at 4am either way and getting a full 7 hours of sleep would mean either waking up past 11am, missing out on breakfast hours and just coming awake when the day is already in full swing, as well as getting severely daylight-deprived during the winter, or going to bed by 9pm and missing out on nightly recreation. Oh, and if you sleep 8 hours, that would mean either sleeping past noon, or being in bed by 8pm....
Not to shame anyone by saying this, especially those that have to be up by 4am for a job or other important ventures, but it does go without saying that being awake at 4am on a normal basis does require sacrificing either the morning or the evening, and there are mental health risks involved with either.

From an Animal Crossing perspective, one thing I've noticed regarding the 4am tracks from all five games is that they all have a "flat" vibe to them, they don't have a "winding-up" vibe that the morning tracks have, nor a "winding-down" vibe that the earlier overnight tracks have.
In Wild World/City Folk, the 11pm-3am tracks all have a cohesive soothing lofi theme to them, it's music to wind down to, but then the 4am track breaks this cohesion by sounding more silent and monotone. In New Leaf, though there's less cohesion with the overnight tracks, the 4am track in that game also sounds more monotone than the previous overnight tracks, albeit also with a more haunting vibe to it.
In Population Growing (GameCube), there is no cohesion with the overnight tracks, and the 4am theme doesn't sound too different from the 3am theme, but even in that game, the 4am theme is also more neutral-sounding than the previous tracks. New Horizons 4am is less "neutral" than the other three 4am tracks, and many would argue that version would definitely have more of an overnight vibe to it, but even that song honestly wouldn't sound all that out of place for someone waking up at 4am as opposed to staying up until 4am, the maracas as well as the guitar picking up from the bass give the song a bit of tension that can signify a new day is coming.
The 5am track in all five games is the first track that has a definitive morning vibe to it, even though New Horizons is the only game where the turnover is at 5am, whereas in the older games it was at 6am (even then though, 5am was when Normal villagers woke up in Wild World, as well as in New Leaf with the Early Bird ordinance).

Now, for me personally, I'd say 4am leans more "early", despite the fact I am more of a night owl, I generally go to bed around 12am-1am during the weekdays and 1am-2am during the weekends (my shift starts at 10:00am, so my alarm is set for 8:00am on weekdays), but even then, I'd rather wake up at 4am then stay up until 4am, albeit I'd only want to be awake at that hour on special occasions like seeing the sunrise during the summer solstice. Also, the gym I live near opens at 4:00am, and Starbucks opens at 4:30am, so there's that as well.

But what about you? Do you associate 4am more as "late" or "early"?

Last edited:
I was once talking to someone about travel, and we were talking about departure times. 3:00 AM got brought up, and the other person told me “It sucks to have to get up that early.” At that moment, I realized we are not the same.

I personally think of 4:00 AM as late. If I have to travel somewhere at 4:00 AM or 5:00 AM, I will stay up and sleep on the train. As someone that’s had several overnight jobs, I’m used to being awake in the AM. I voted for late on the poll.

For me, it depends. If I'm still awake at 4am I would say it's late. If I had to wake up at 4am, I would say it's way too early.

I'm a night owl and never really fall asleep before 1-2am anyway, so if I had no choice but to be up at 4am I would just stay up all night. I'd rather do that than only get 2 hours of sleep. That just feels miserable. I have stayed up until 4am or later on many, many occasions. I actually love going to sleep as the sun is rising and sleeping until around midday.

it depends on whether i’m already awake at 4am or if i’m waking up. if i’m already awake, it’s very late and i’m chastising myself for pulling an all-nighter. if i’m waking up, it’s way too early for me to even consider being conscious, and i go back to sleep as soon as possible.

I'd say it's late. I've stayed up until 4 AM too often in the past, which has created that association of it being "too late" for me. I suppose an arbitrary rule of thumb for me would be anything before 6 AM is too late, while 6 AM and later is too early (though 5 AM is kind of a gray zone in that regard).

I responded late because I've mostly interacted with individuals who haven't slept until 4am (vs. with individuals who wake up at 4am).

Sleeping is the defining factor here: if you're not sleeping, you're "up late". If you're sleeping, you're "up early."

I had to wait to respond to this because I couldn't formulate my thoughts at the time.

But basically, it depends. I'm not strictly a night person nor a morning person. I'm able to stay up really late, but also able to get up early as well. So it just depends on when I'm going to sleep. I can't say that it's either one or the other, because it's technically both. For that matter, I will abstain from voting in the poll.

Early, because five days a week I have to be up at 5am and out the door by 6:45am to go to work.

Last edited:
I consider the time "late" if it's before one goes to sleep, and consider it "early" if you've woken up

I consider the time "late" if it's before one goes to sleep, and consider it "early" if you've woken up
Basically this. I definitely went to sleep at 4 am sometimes and I probably woke up and slept again as well. I do have a co-worker who gets up that early though so depending on the person you ask.

i wake up at 7 am so for me, 4 am is early. however if i'm not in bed by midnight, then 4 am is late.

Oh my god, that is a really good question. I would say late, because the earliest I ever wake up is 5 AM, and I remember the olden days (aka when I was 13-14) when I would pull all-nighters left and right during the summer; If light is starting to shed and birds are chirping (or your alarm clock says that it has 2 hours and 17 minutes left), then you've officially past the night-time.

Look, it depends on what you're doing.

If you stay up late, it's late.

If you go to bed and wake up at 4 and can't fall back asleep, it's early.

Basic common sense NGL.

Look, it depends on what you're doing.

If you stay up late, it's late.

If you go to bed and wake up at 4 and can't fall back asleep, it's early.

Basic common sense NGL.

True, but you can say the same thing about any hour really, but there is a standard consensus for each hour of the day, however, even if many people's sleep schedules may deviate from this standard. A night shift workers day schedule is a deviation from the average, and there's no shame in that, even most night shift workers I've met admit this.

For example, 7am is considered to be early morning, yet it's also an hour when many night-shift workers get off work and go to sleep. However, even those same people generally still consider 7am to be early rather than late, even though their sleep schedule deviates from the average, they still acknowledge the standard consensus for this hour. Same thing for 5am and 6am.

12am to 3am, despite being a new calendar day, are considered late by the standard consensus because it's standard for non-night shift workers who work from a certain hour until closing time who don't have enough leisure time before midnight to improvise by staying up a bit past, and they can still get a 7-hours of sleep and wake up at least by 10am, so still waking up at a decent time in the morning. Also because there's no reason for even extreme early birds to be waking up at these hours unless they have to work a super early job.

What makes 4am interesting in this regard is that it's in a dead-zone by the general consensus.

Yes you're right that it does depend by person to person, but keep in mind, I'm only asking for a subjective answer, not an objective one.

I voted for late cause I work afternoon shift and never wake up at 4AM. The graveyard shift at my work starts at 1AM so the rare time I get that shift, everyone says "good morning!" even though it's literally 1AM. It really threw me off the first time I heard a coworker say it.

I voted late since I should be sleeping at that time but I haven’t been for at least a month now.

ever since coming to uni, my perspective on 4am has shifted from an early start you see in certain people's morning routines, to a late night and a sign i've probably been out too long and should start heading to bed. i do agree with what others have said though - if i've stayed up all night then going to bed at 4am would be late, but if i were to wake up then it would be early. it is definitely the 'dead-zone' as you say though - 3am i feel is too early to be considered anything other than night, and 5am is leaning more heavily towards 'early' but 4 is right in the middle

This is all in context. If you're staying up, it's late, but if you're waking up to go to work it's early. It's all about the context/subject.

If you're going to bed, it's late.

If you're waking up to go to work or school, it's early.

If you're waking up to go traveling with my family, it's late.

Back