• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you associate 4am as "late" or "early"?

Late or Early?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I consider it early regardless of the context. I'm more of a night owl, but at 4:00 AM you're not that far flung from dawn. Plus, I guess I'm just used to hearing stuff like "3 in the morning," which is even earlier, so I just sort of associate the AM hours with earliness and "morning" even if morning isn't until dawn.

Despite being a night owl that frequently stays up into the morning hours, I still consider 4am to be early in all contexts. Part of it is that it is a morning hour, and I generally consider anything to do with the morning to be early (with 12am being the exception, because it's often when I get off of work so I consider it the end of the day rather than the beginning). It also stems from when I was working the morning shifts at work, usually starting at 6 or 7am. On the 6am days I'd have to be up at 4am, which is a good 5 hours earlier than the earliest I normally wake up and I hated it. Because of that association, I really can only consider it to be early.

I had to work a shift starting at 4am for a while. It was absolute misery. To me it is definitely early - TOO early! I typically wake up from 6-7am, so 4 am can only be early to me.

I consider it as "late" because I don't personally know anyone who wakes up at 4 am (but I know lots of people who stay up until 4 am). I think 5 am is when my brain switches over to "morning times."

I had to work a shift starting at 4am for a while. It was absolute misery. To me it is definitely early - TOO early! I typically wake up from 6-7am, so 4 am can only be early to me.
Same, this is my current work schedule and honestly it'd be so much better if I could just come in two hours later. It's like you can't stay up too late otherwise you're dead for the shift, but most of my friends are night owls and don't want to do anything until like midnight. So there's no way I can hang with them all the time unless I want to be sleep deprived and have my health spiral downwards.

I've been debating this but after sleeping a good 6 hours and being woken up at 3:50am by a crashing sound (ty cat) I can confirm, 4am is just a wee bit early 😅

(aka time for me to go back to sleep)

It depends on my frame of reference. 4am is early if I'm anxious about something and struggling to stay asleep (like I am tonight) and late if I'm staying up to finish something, which happened on the rare occasion in my college days.

Like many people have already said here it literally just depends on whether you have slept before it... lol

If I have to pick one, then late, I guess, because it's a time where like 99% of people should still be sleeping normally and early risers start at like 5 am I guess.

I'm a night owl, so waking up at 4am seems unheard of, but being awake at 4am wouldn't be unusual for me.

If I've stayed up until 4am and haven't slept yet, I would consider it "late." If I had been sleeping and had to wake up at 4am, I would consider it "early."

This is such an interesting question, because now I realized that my ungodly hours of being awake is between 3-4 am. I never want to be awake at that time, whether I’m staying up until that time or I have to wake up at that time.

4 am for me is early, since I associate it more towards an early morning over a late night. There have been more times I think where I’d have to be up at 4 am, especially before when I lived far from school and I had to take into account how LONG traffic hours are on a Monday morning. Sometimes I also wake up at 4 am after a late-night bus trip because I want a good hot porridge at the bus stopover. I almost never stay up until 4 am, since I like mornings and I don’t like the feeling of waking up close to lunch. I feel like I’ve lost a good chunk of the day already.

if i were to wake up at 4 am i would consider it very early, but 95% of the time when i'm up at 4 am i haven't fallen asleep yet, so it's very late for me. it can be either or depending on the context but usually i consider it late

I use the term early more often than not. I can see why some people call it late instead though. It's relative to the context as waking up at 4am is early but staying up until 4am would be late.

I consider 4am to be really early in the morning more so than I do late at night so I suppose that's why I typically consider it to be early more often than not.

Depends on the context.

If I only went to bed at 4am, it's late.
If I had to get up at 4am, it's early.

4am is probably the cutoff for where I know which I would say too. I don't know what I would say about going to bed at 5am.

I associate 4 am with morning hours and waking up early.

I don’t think I’ve ever stayed up as “late” as 4 am (but definitely ~2 am). I consider myself an early bird, and I don’t like going to sleep after 12 am/1 am, because it means I’ll sleep in later and lose some of those precious morning hours! 😊 I really like being awake in the morning when it’s dark, and before anyone else is awake; it’s super peaceful! I can (mostly) choose my working hours, so I usually wake up at 4 am on weekdays to start work at 6 am. My ideal time to wake up is probably 6 am, which is usually what time I naturally wake up on weekends, unless I’ve stayed up late.

It definitely hasn’t always been like this, it’s just a habit I got into I guess. 😊🌄

I associate 4am with being too early. I wake up at 5am to get ready for my job that starts at 7:30am and I already consider that too early. There would never be a situation now for me to sleep as "late" as 4am, and even if I wanted to stay up late on a weekend my body just automatically shuts off at 12 anyways lol. But there have been times when I wanted to wake up early at 4am to finish some work before getting ready to head out and it's too hard. I just snooze my alarm until 5.

I think it depends. If I stayed up until 4 AM, then I stayed up late. But if I had to wake up at 4 AM then I'd be waking up really early. The first situation is more likely for me, so I picked "late" for the poll.

Back