• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Cilantro: yay or nay?

cilantro opinions

• yay

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • neutral

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • nay

Votes: 23 31.5%

• Total voters

Mikaiah

🌸
Bells
Island
Xanthye
Purple Feather
Light Blue Balloon
Cool Feather
Blue Balloon
Blue Feather
Of all food items and spices, none are as divisive as the love or hate for cilantro. Where do you stand?

Do you hate the smell?
Does it taste like soap?
Do you love the smell?
Is it basically a staple food for you? (<- ok this sounds weird but I substituted cilantro for rice once and had it with meat, no regrets)
Or do you stay 10 feet away from it at the grocery store?

Discuss. :3

Oh yes I love that stuff and topping it on my food, tastes so good...

Your rice substitute kind of scares me though, you just had a bowl or cilantro and meat?

Oh yes I love that stuff and topping it on my food, tastes so good...

Your rice substitute kind of scares me though, you just had a bowl or cilantro and meat?
There wasn't enough rice for the whole family... and no one else likes it so I was tasked with eating this giant bunch of cilantro, so me and my mom both just had it instead of rice... XD

Yeah I'm in the group of people who can't eat cilantro because it tastes like soap. I can smell it a mile away and it gives me a headache. I wish I could eat it though because of a lot of food and cuisine I like have cilantro in it but I'm always making special requests to remove it or I have to pick it out myself and even then I can still taste it :'(

I like it sometimes, as long as it doesn't overpower the rest of the flavours. There is such a thing as too much cilantro. But if it's balanced well, it's really good!

Nay. I can tolerate it in some mexican taco dishes but if it's the asian one then def no no nopE

Nay! It's so strong it usually dominates the dishes it's used in, though I'm judging based on cilantro in asian dishes so maybe different ones are less overpowering?

Nasty. It tastes like soap and overpowers everything else in the dish.

Cilantro/coriander is a staple down here in the Southwest U.S.A.It gives foods like albondigas and salsa that distinctive flavor and it's also great on Indian food.It's too bad some people can't eat it.I'm not sure why that is but it might be the same reason a lot of people can't tolerate peanuts.

biggest, fattest nay. the smell and taste is repulsive to me lol. thankfully we don't use it much in our house, but when i used to work in a grocery store i was astounded by how many people bought tons of it, i hated handling it.

Honestly neutral to it. I don’t hate it nor dislike it, but I won’t go out of my way to eat it.

Cilantro has been a staple in my diet for a very long time... basically since I was able to eat solid foods as a kid. I do find that it tastes a bit soapy but I'm used to it. Love it in "pico de gallo" and I guess many people don't know you can cook it. If you add it to a noodle (fideo) soup, the soapy flavor goes away and adds more depth to the dish.

Also I hope people saying they hate it, aren't confusing it with parsley .-.

It’s one of my favorites! Parsley is the best though. They’re both so refreshing.
ROSEMARY on the other hand....

ROSEMARY on the other hand....
Boiling some baby potatoes in some salt water with rosemary is one of the best ways to have them when you don't feel like roasting them. I would really recommend it, but I get it if you'd rather not. They don't get a strong rosemary flavor, just a hint that makes them taste so good... but I'm really not picky with food, just textures .-.

If it's small amounts as garnish or mixed in a sauce, it's alright. My problem with it is that people treat it like salt & pepper and it ends up overpowering the dish for me.

Nay, I can’t stand it. I’ve tried so many times to eat foods with it in it, but no matter what I end up feeling the need to empty my stomach.

Back