• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Taste of Cilantro

Does cilantro taste like soap to you?

• Total voters
It does not taste like soap to me! I'm still not a huge fan of it, but to be fair I haven't tried it in many things either. I'm open to giving cilantro more chances.

I never had cilantro, but the fact that people are unaware of having a soap gene unless they taste it themselves for the first time disturbs and unnerves me.

I definitely have the bad taste gene but for me I would not describe the taste as soapy. I don't even know if I could put a name to what I think it tastes like it just tastes overwhelmingly bad, I can notice if a tiny piece gets in to my food.

When I found out that this was a real genetic thing I was honestly so happy because growing I was just harassed for being picky but it's real and I'm not making it up, hooray!

Cilantro taste also kept me from avocados for the longest time. When I first ever tried avocado was in guacamole that had cilantro in it and I thought it was the avocados that tasted bad. Not until some many years later I learned of this cilantro thing and then tried avocado on it's own and I do like it!

It doesn't. It just tastes absolutely terrible and I will not eat anything that contains even the smallest amount because it's all I'll be feeling. My mother and I both hate it and we've been cultivating this hate for decades now.

I don't think it tastes like soap, but I'm not huge on it I guess? I've only had it in a few things and it's fine, but not something I've ever bothered to incorporate into my own cooking and if the option for it arises from take-out or a restaurant, I usually don't bother.

I honestly can't remember ever having cilantro, so I guess I don't really know either way.

Is cilantro the same as coriander? If so, it's the worst herb and I hate it. ☹️

In all of the times I've reluctantly eaten it, I've never considered that it tasted like soap. Honestly, I'd rather eat soap.

I luckily did not inherit any soap gene. I like cilantro/coriander, but not too much of it!

I've heard that celery has a similar effect on a lot of people as well?

Back