• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Sports Thread

We'll have Kings/Oilers for the third year in a row, I suppose.

Vegas has 3-0 record against Dallas in the regular season. Only one of those wins, however, were in regulation. It almost seemed like Vegas being a wild card was a better situation for them? All of those regular season games were last year, though, and a lot might have changed since then. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here.

We'll have Kings/Oilers for the third year in a row, I suppose.

Vegas has 3-0 record against Dallas in the regular season. Only one of those wins, however, were in regulation. It almost seemed like Vegas being a wild card was a better situation for them? All of those regular season games were last year, though, and a lot might have changed since then. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here.

I was actually hoping the Stars wouldn't play the Kings in the first round because then it'd literally be my team against yours. :LOL:

Anyway, came here to say also that I don't think this Vegas team is as strong as this new Stars team is. If all of our lines are playing on point in the series, then I predict Stars in 6 games. I've been loosely watching the Golden Knights throughout this year and they have indeed dropped a lot of games they shouldn't have.

I've been eyeing this thread for awhile, as evidenced by the egg hunt clue, lol. I think my fandom of hockey and the Tampa Bay Lightning is well documented by this point, so I won't go into detail about that. It's also easier to just bring up my other sports fandoms on an as-needed basis, lol.

Anyways, my actual excuse for posting in here is that the NHL regular season is over and the playoffs begin today! It's been a roller coaster of a season as a Bolts fan, since the sort of dominance expected from them over the past few seasons simply wasn't there for most of the season. I know their roster has changed a fair amount the past couple of seasons, but even so, their play was very inconsistent and they definitely struggled at times, with injuries to key players (first Vasy to start the season, then Sergachev during the season) not helping matters. Though somehow, they managed to put it together after the trade deadline and comfortably secure a playoff spot once again. It was also great watching Kucherov make history with 100 assists and lead the league with 144 points, he definitely deserves to win the Hart even though I'm not expecting it.

Truthfully, I don't really know if they'll be able to win the Stanley Cup, though it'd definitely be nice if they could! As much as I hate having to face the Panthers in the first round and don't like our chances in that series, I'm thankful we don't have to face the Leafs in the first round again, since I couldn't stomach that match-up for a third year in a row. 😅

As well, I always try and predict how the playoffs will go, so I figure I'd share that in here:
I just filled out the whole NHL bracket challenge for the sake of having something more presentable. If this actually happens I'm going to be really sad, since I really don't want Florida to win the Cup.

Ff9Usdy.png

I've been eyeing this thread for awhile, as evidenced by the egg hunt clue, lol. I think my fandom of hockey and the Tampa Bay Lightning is well documented by this point, so I won't go into detail about that. It's also easier to just bring up my other sports fandoms on an as-needed basis, lol.

Anyways, my actual excuse for posting in here is that the NHL regular season is over and the playoffs begin today! It's been a roller coaster of a season as a Bolts fan, since the sort of dominance expected from them over the past few seasons simply wasn't there for most of the season. I know their roster has changed a fair amount the past couple of seasons, but even so, their play was very inconsistent and they definitely struggled at times, with injuries to key players (first Vasy to start the season, then Sergachev during the season) not helping matters. Though somehow, they managed to put it together after the trade deadline and comfortably secure a playoff spot once again. It was also great watching Kucherov make history with 100 assists and lead the league with 144 points, he definitely deserves to win the Hart even though I'm not expecting it.

Truthfully, I don't really know if they'll be able to win the Stanley Cup, though it'd definitely be nice if they could! As much as I hate having to face the Panthers in the first round and don't like our chances in that series, I'm thankful we don't have to face the Leafs in the first round again, since I couldn't stomach that match-up for a third year in a row. 😅

As well, I always try and predict how the playoffs will go, so I figure I'd share that in here:
I just filled out the whole NHL bracket challenge for the sake of having something more presentable. If this actually happens I'm going to be really sad, since I really don't want Florida to win the Cup.

Ff9Usdy.png

Your bracket looks good... aside from the western side. Sorry, got to be that person. 🙃

I don't know that I'd have Colorado defeating Winnipeg since the last game they played, the Jets absolutely DOMINATED the Avalanche. Of course the playoffs are always different, but that one seems more close than some would think.

Also, I really don't foresee the Oilers being in the Stanely Cup Finals due to the fact that a Canadian team has only advanced to the SCF six times since 1993, and never won it in those six times.

https://www.nhl.com/news/canada-legends-hoping-stanley-cup-comes-home#:~:text=It would be awesome.”,Canada won hockey%27s holy grail.

If you ask me it's going to be the Stars and the Kings/Preds in the WCF this year. I could also foresee the Stars facing the Canucks in the WCF, but the Stars would probably win that series and advance to the SCF.

I have no comments for the eastern side as I haven't paid attention to them as much this year, but what you have looks pretty good.

*These are all predictions just based on things I've seen during the season and my own opinions.

Your bracket looks good... aside from the western side. Sorry, got to be that person. 🙃

I don't know that I'd have Colorado defeating Winnipeg since the last game they played, the Jets absolutely DOMINATED the Avalanche. Of course the playoffs are always different, but that one seems more close than some would think.

Also, I really don't foresee the Oilers being in the Stanely Cup Finals due to the fact that a Canadian team has only advanced to the SCF six times since 1993, and never won it in those six times.

https://www.nhl.com/news/canada-legends-hoping-stanley-cup-comes-home#:~:text=It would be awesome.”,Canada won hockey%27s holy grail.

If you ask me it's going to be the Stars and the Kings/Preds in the WCF this year. I could also foresee the Stars facing the Canucks in the WCF, but the Stars would probably win that series and advance to the SCF.

I have no comments for the eastern side as I haven't paid attention to them as much this year, but what you have looks pretty good.

*These are all predictions just based on things I've seen during the season and my own opinions.
My opinion: The Kings would be would be a definite WCF team had the goaltending situation was figured out. Jonathan Quick hasn’t been the same since 2017 (Yes, I know he isn’t on the team anymore) and the only other goaltender that has given me hope since then was Cal Petersen, who is also no longer on the team. When Cal was the backup, he was phenomenal and had the skills to be a starter if needed, but the team was holding onto hope that Quick would be like he was in 2014, which tbf was probably his best year and nearly impossible to replicate.

The Kings will be a contender for sure if net is figured out. I know that’s something the team wants considering a trade for a goaltender fell through twice (Markstrom and Ullmark [spelling?]) because of the goaltender turning down a trade to LA - likely for California taxes/not wanting to live in California.

This is a phenomenal roster minus the goaltending. It’s easier to play to your full potential when you have a goalie you can rely on.

My opinion: The Kings would be would be a definite WCF team had the goaltending situation was figured out. Jonathan Quick hasn’t been the same since 2017 (Yes, I know he isn’t on the team anymore) and the only other goaltender that has given me hope since then was Cal Petersen, who is also no longer on the team. When Cal was the backup, he was phenomenal and had the skills to be a starter if needed, but the team was holding onto hope that Quick would be like he was in 2014, which tbf was probably his best year and nearly impossible to replicate.

The Kings will be a contender for sure if net is figured out. I know that’s something the team wants considering a trade for a goaltender fell through twice (Markstrom and Ullmark [spelling?]) because of the goaltender turning down a trade to LA - likely for California taxes/not wanting to live in California.

This is a phenomenal roster minus the goaltending. It’s easier to play to your full potential when you have a goalie you can rely on.

Yeah, that is true. My #1 pick for the WCF this year is the Stars and Canucks. Anything else would come second. Cause I mean, just looking at their records and teams it makes sense anyway. Kings have a shot though.

Back