• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Sports Thread

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
I was contemplating making this for a while, but I wasn’t sure how much traffic it would get. At first, this was going to be solely for hockey, but I thought it would be easier to just combine all of the sports into one single thread.

Not so surprisingly, my favorite sport to watch is hockey. I follow it more closely than any other sport and I love attending the games. Personally, my favorite team is the Los Angeles Kings. They are doing surprisingly phenomenal this year. Sports are a big part of my personality.

Do you have any favorite professional sports teams or follow any sport in particular? Most of my posts in this thread are going to be hockey related, but feel free to discuss other sports as well.​

Baseball has been my favorite sport to watch since the mid-to-late 2000's. I got interested in it thanks to my late mom's occupation. I was really saddened when the Texas Rangers lost the MLB World Series in 2011. I remember going home from a restaurant and some guy had been rude to my mom, and I was crying the whole way home because they lost and she tried to comfort me anyway.

It's safe to say I was ecstatic when they won it this year for the first time ever. I'm really over the moon about it because it was a dream come true.

I also love basketball, hockey, and American football, but to a lesser degree. I'm a Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, and Dallas Cowboys fan. Glad to see all three of them got wins yesterday and today!! 🏀 🏒 🏈 🔥

I also enjoy watching the Olympics and other sports such as tennis and golf. Have even begun watching a bit of badminton in recent years!

As for myself, I've done martial arts for 16 years now. I have a black belt in Karate and a brown belt second degree in Aikido. My goal is to have a black belt in both arts eventually. It's been really great for my physical and mental wellbeing, not to mention I'm pretty good in a fight nowadays and can incapacitate someone if I needed to.

Thanks for creating this thread! There's a lot of controversies surrounding sports and it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I sure do have a passion for it myself.

Thanks for making this thread! :)

I played baseball from T-Ball through the D3 college level, so that would be my favorite sport. My favorite team is the New York Yankees.

I played basketball from the Small Fry level through high school. I always loved and still do enjoy wearing Lebron’s line of shoes, so my favorite team is the Los Angeles Lakers.

I ran cross-country in middle and high school.

I played soccer from the Small Fry Level through the middle school level.

I was a 3-time defending champion in table tennis tournaments in college, alongside winning the intramural championships in both dodgeball and kickball. Also played intramural flag football, handball, basketball, wiffle ball, and kan jam.

My favorite teams/players-

Football: Buffalo Bills
Hockey: Buffalo Sabres
College Basketball: Syracuse Orange
College Football: Alabama Crimson Tide
Tennis: Novak Djokovic
Golf: Tiger Woods
Soccer: USA
Olympics: Michael Phelps/Usain Bolt

Basically I’ll watch any sport that’s on TV, and that I tend to root for either the New York teams, or the best athletes in their sport since it’s awesome to watch greatness.

Another fun fact: One of my brothers works for the MLB (Major League Baseball), so I tend to know what’s going on behind the scenes well before the general public knows.

Oh and about E-Sports: I’m a big time MK8DX player who has a high ranking online and tons of racked up wins. Wish I could participate in the online sessions on this forum but the times never align with my availability lol.

Last edited:
download.png
Untitled (3).jpg
ExvdXjWVcAAxJYh (1).jpeg

I like hockey,NFL and college football,Australian Rules Football,boxing and Formula 1 racing.I follow my hometown teams the Arizona Coyotes and the Arizona Cardinals(even though they stink).The Coyotes are doing better this season but I don't expect them to be in the playoffs.The Cardinals...well,they're having a typical Cardinals season.I also like the New Jersey Devils and the much-hated Dallas Cowboys.

Hockey fan here, too. Although I live in a different state, the Philadelphia Flyers are my favorite team. My dad’s side of the family is from the Philly area. He likes all Philly sports, so when I started getting into hockey, the Flyers were the team I decided to follow. Here’s hoping they can continue doing much better than expected this season! The Metro division’s brutal though, so we’ll see. 🤞

To a lesser extent, I also like baseball (Baltimore Orioles and Philadelphia Phillies) and basketball (Philadelphia 76ers).

I find it hilarious that right after I post this thread, saying the Kings are playing phenomenal hockey, they are on a 3-game losing streak. I’m hoping this is just a run of bad luck.

I also like college football more than the NFL. I look forward to the next college football game and it’s the only reason I have an XBOX. I had an Arizona Wildcats dynasty on NCAA Football 14 (AKA the holy grail) for the 360. I played all the way to the year 2060, lmao. I can’t wait to play the heck out of the new one. I’ll go with the Wildcats again as my dynasty team.

My favorite sport is hockey, and I’m a Dallas Stars fan through and through. Besides that, I don’t pay much attention to sports unless there’s some sort of big game/event like the World Cup, the Super Bowl, or the World Series. (Watching the Rangers win the world series this past season was super cool btw)

Also american football is overrated imo, but no hate to people who enjoy it!

I love sports and don't mind watching most of them, even if I'm not an avid fan. Before we ditched regular TV, it wasn't unusual for ESPN to be our default station when we didn't have anything else to watch. I especially loved to see the Top 10 and Not-Top 10 plays.

My favorite sport is American Football and I've been following the Minnesota Vikings for most of my life (once I learned I didn't have to support the local team). They're not doing too great this year, but I always hope that the next year will be their year and that I'll get to witness their first ever Super Bowl win at some point. I watch some College Football as well, but I prefer the NFL. I won't name my favorite college team because it is local.

On the world stage, like the Olympics or World Cup, I usually root for the Netherlands because that is a big part of my heritage.

I don't watch baseball anymore, but back when I did I was a Cincinnati Reds fan.

I also don't watch much basketball and therefore don't have a team I follow. Occasionally there are players that I like enough to watch, but the last one was Kevin Garnett.

I've never really watched hockey, but I think it requires a lot of skill to do all that while on skates. I probably could get into it if I gave it a chance, but I haven't just for lack of time. My husband is a Washington Capitals fan, but he says I would be a San Jose Sharks fan because sharks are my favorite animal. That's not usually how I pick my teams, but I have to admit that hearing 'sharks' and 'win' in the same sentence does make me smile.

As far as playing sports, I did a few different types of dance and tried out gymnastics when I was in elementary school. I also played softball. In high school, I was a setter for our school volleyball team and that was my favorite sport to play.

I have nephews that are really into sports too. My oldest nephew has been obsessed with skateboarding since he was 2 years old. He's 14 now. My 12 year old nephews love baseball, basketball, and American football. They play as many sports as they can and they're really good.

View attachment 528892View attachment 528895
Upset special!James Conner scored the game winning touchdown with only 32 seconds to lift the Arizona Cardinals to a 35-31 victory over the heavily favored Philadelphia Eagles today.

I know, that was insane. The Cowboys can actually win their division now if they beat the Washington Commanders in Washington next week. I have a hard time believing the Cowboys will lose to the Commanders, but ya know, it could happen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, with the loss tonight the Vikings are essentially out of the playoffs. This season was such a rollercoaster. It started off so poorly that I was sure we'd never have a chance, then things leveled out and my team gave me hope, only to have it dashed away when Cousins went down for the season. I've never been a huge fan of Cousins, but without a single decent back-up QB there was no way we were going anywhere in the post-season.

Congrats to everyone whose teams won today or who will be looking forward to the playoffs! I'm going to root for the Baltimore Ravens (my husband's team) to make it to the Super Bowl.

I’ve wanted to post in this thread for a WHILE but haven’t had time to sit down and compile a list that I felt properly described my love of sports.

My biggest fandom is the Michigan Wolverines, who have just won their first National Championship since 1997, when I was 10 years old. I cried when I called my dad last night, as I watched the clock tick from 00:00 to FINAL. I am still pinching myself, to be honest. My dad’s family is from Cheboygan, Michigan, so I’ve grown up a fan of all Michigan sports since before I can remember. This is the best football year of my entire life. We beat Ohio State, Ohio State lost their bowl game, AND we’re National Champions?! AND the Detroit Lions are relevant this year?! The only thing that could make this better would be the Lions winning the Super Bowl.

That leads into the Detroit Lions being my favorite NFL team, followed by the Philadelphia Eagles. I’ve been a Lions fan since a toddler in the Barry Sanders era, and my dad took me to a Lions game when I was 2 or 3 years old. He said I was screaming with a slightly scared face until I realized everyone was screaming in joy and excitement, and then I joined right in. My Eagles fandom is very new, and is a nod to how important Philadelphia is to our family, since we went there to have Nicholas’ fetal surgery. The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is the reason our son is doing as well as he is as far as his Spina Bifida is concerned.

Going to basketball, my NBA team is the Dallas Mavericks. I started watching the Mavs back in 2010 when Dirk Nowitzki was still with them and have followed them ever since. The 76ers have become my second NBA team, because of our ties to Philly. Back in the Michael Jordan days, I was a Bulls fan (who wasn’t lol), but after he really retired, I didn’t really have a team for a while. I remember playing NBA Jam on SNES and we had a rule among my friend group that no one was allowed to be the Bulls because everyone wanted to be the Bulls. So, I always picked the Pistons, and I still do when I play. Something still feels wrong about picking the Bulls because of our friend rule. I grew up being a Pistons fan, because it’s the Michigan team, and I do still like the Pistons, but knowing how much Michael Jordan is NOT a fan of them makes it hard to latch on to them as an adult, because I’m 100% a Michael Jordan fan.

In baseball, I grew up being a Detroit Tigers fan, because it’s the Michigan team. I still love the Tigers because of the sentimentality and because they are a classic baseball team, but I haven’t followed them as closely in recent years. I do still buy Tigers gear though, and I do still love them. In high school, I was a Boston Red Sox fan - David Ortiz man, who could argue his greatness? I was a Cleveland Indians fan from about 2015-2019, with a peak in 2016 when they almost won the World Series, but the name change for them really deflated it for me. I didn’t even recognize them as the same sport when I first saw their new name! I was like, who are the Guardians? Must be an indoor football team. That moment made me realize that the tie of familiarity was severed. My husband is a life-long St. Louis Cardinals fan, so I pull for them, but I think after watching the Phillies last year, and seeing how much Bryce Harper has really found his home in Philly, and knowing how much the Phillies do for charity and for kids, I’m a Phillies fan. We would have gotten to go to a Phillies game for free last year when we were staying at Ronald McDonald House for one of Nicholas’ procedures, but it was in the middle of summer, and he had casts on and was recovering and we had to head back to Ohio. It just didn’t work out, but they give a number of tickets to Ronald McDonald house for the families there, and that’s pretty cool.

In hockey, I am a Detroit Red Wings fan, and have been since childhood. They have such a rich history as one of the classic hockey teams and I love having grown up a fan. My husband is a St. Louis Blues fan, and we watched them win the Stanley Cup in 2019. It was their first time winning a Stanley Cup and my husband was like, “I don’t know what to do, we‘ve never won!” I replied, “You go online and buy a jersey before they sell out, that’s what you do.” XD

I am NOT a soccer fan, at all. But I know enough about it to know that Manchester United is the Yankees of soccer, and that I don’t like either of them lol. My husband is an Arsenal fan, and if I had to pick a team, I’d pick Leicester City, strictly because their mascot is a fox.

I was not a tennis fan until meeting my husband, but I did watch it occasionally and would always pull for Roger Federer and Serena Williams. In recent years, I’ve rooted for Rafael Nadal. He is amazing to watch play and he’s not a whiny jerk (looking at you, Novak Djokovic).

I only recently got into Formula 1, but Max Verstappen is my F1 favorite. Cool, calm, awesome driver. And doesn’t blame his crew when he loses (cough, Lewis Hamilton, cough).

I can’t think of a sport that I missed that I have a vested interest in, but if I come up with one that I missed, I’ll add it.

I remember a quote from the late NFL coach Bum Phillips who said "There's two kinds of coaches,them's that's fired and them's that's gonna be fired."So far,since roughly midway through the regular season,eight NFL coaches have been sacked including long time coaches Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll.A full 25% of the head coaches who started this past season are gone.

I can't wait for the January sumo tournament to start this Sunday! (Monday here, as the new episodes come a day late.) I've been watching sumo since 2017, and it's an entertaining, interesting sport. However, I don't have NHK available on my TV anymore, so I watch it via Roku.

I like Terunofuji, but he's kind of disappointing as a yokozuna. He's pulled out of the last few tournaments due to injuries (which I understand,) but...the yokozuna (highest-ranked wrestler), is the star of the show. I miss when Hakuho would act all dramatic, like a pro wrestler lol. Takakeisho needs to be promoted to yokozuna, in my opinion, due to his great performance-- especially at his young age. That would be fun to watch!

I remember a quote from the late NFL coach Bum Phillips who said "There's two kinds of coaches,them's that's fired and them's that's gonna be fired."So far,since roughly midway through the regular season,eight NFL coaches have been sacked including long time coaches Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll.A full 25% of the head coaches who started this past season are gone.
The NFL has such a "win now" mentality that it's hard for coaches or even players to stick around if the team isn't consistently doing well. I'm shocked that people are calling for Mike Tomlin to be fired when he has never had a losing season and somehow managed to get the Steelers to the play-offs despite their issues this season. I may not be a Steelers fan, but stats like that deserve respect.

Last edited:
I've never really been all that invested in sports. I can watch a game/match/etc. of something and be entertained well enough, but I'm not passionate enough about any of these sports that I make it a habit to tune in every week or whatever.

The sport I pay the most attention to, and even that isn't that much attention, is American football/the NFL. This is a result of my father watching it, so I'd catch games sometimes. My favorite team is the Baltimore Ravens; I've never been to Baltimore nor do I live particularly close to it, but I like that their branding is inspired by Edgar Allen Poe and his short story The Raven. Their logo is cool and one of their team colors is purple, which is my favorite color, so bonus points for that. They only have two Super Bowls to their name, but they seem to be in a good spot this season and might have a chance this year, so that's cool.

As you might've gleaned from that, my sports preferences are more down to silly reasons like logos and theming than actual performance. So, with that said:

- I sometimes check out NBA Playoff and Championship games just because. I don't really have a team like I do for the NFL, but a late friend of mine was a fan of the Dallas Mavericks since they were his home team. Maybe I could get behind them for that sentimental reason? Feel like I'd need to tune in more though. I like the Cleveland Cavaliers logo though, particularly when it has the sword.

- My sibling is an NHL fan so I feel like I ought to give it more of a shot sometime, but haven't yet. I'm kind of spoiled for choice here because I like a few of the logos/themes. The Jersey Devils are cool due to the name being a reference to the Jersey Devil, Pittsburgh's cool because penguins are my favorite animal, and the Vegas Golden Knights are cool because I like knights.

- I can't really be bothered with baseball. Even compared to the others where it's minimal, baseball's just eh for me. Sorry MLB.

- Whereas I've at least watched a game or two of baseball, I've never watched soccer yet, so no comment.

Other than that, I'll tune into the Olympics sometimes just for the heck of it. I don't root for any countries in particular.

Someone above mentioned sumo? Nice. I used to watch recaps on NHK's YouTube channel. Totally fun to watch. 🎌

I like solo-sports, like golf. It's snowy and cold over here at the moment, so it'll be a while before I get to play again. ☃️ In the meantime, I practice chipping with a sand iron in the backyard daily. ⛳

I used to follow figure skating until the winter olympics where yuzuru hanyu was completely messed up by a gigantic hole in the ice and he was unfairly judged based off of it even though he couldve broken an ankle if he wasnt so skilled and then Nathen Chen who I was a long time fan of won gold even though I don't think it was fair. That year drove me insane in so many ways that I mostly stopped paying attention to figure skating at a professional level so I don't pull my hair out and lose my mind.

I used to follow figure skating until the winter olympics where yuzuru hanyu was completely messed up by a gigantic hole in the ice and he was unfairly judged based off of it even though he couldve broken an ankle if he wasnt so skilled and then Nathen Chen who I was a long time fan of won gold even though I don't think it was fair. That year drove me insane in so many ways that I mostly stopped paying attention to figure skating at a professional level so I don't pull my hair out and lose my mind.
I remember my art teacher had on figure skating from the Sochi Olympics on one day (2014) and I saw Yuzuru waiting for his score with a stuffed Pooh Bear in a bag and for a long time I thought he was holding a bag of bread. 😂 I remember was rooting for Jason Brown that year.

Back