Work Stories!

Bells
Hello all! I tend to browse the forums a lot while on the job, as I work at a desk and only have limited duties. I would love to share and hear some work stories, rants, and any content related to your job!
There have been other forums similar in the past, however they are long deserted and the original posters have been inactive. I think this could be a great space to relieve some work-related steam!

About me
Before I share any specific stories about my job, I would love to give a general idea of my work position. I work as a BDC (Business Development Center) service agent at a dealership in a rather large city. I essentially work the role of a receptionist: answering calls, scheduling service appointments, and redirecting calls to correct departments. I work alongside another coworker who does the same tasks as me. My desk is fully decorated to my taste, and I would love to share pictures in the future!

Rules
Rules are simple!
1) NO SHARING PERSONAL INFO. This includes full names, business titles, and locations. Do not share anything you would not normally share when following site rules.
2) no ASKING other parties for personal info

Thank you and I hope we have some fun!​
Post automatically merged:

WORK CONTEXT: I work as a BDC (Business Development Center) service agent at a dealership in a rather large city. I essentially work the role of a receptionist: answering calls, scheduling service appointments, and redirecting calls to correct departments. I work alongside another coworker who does the same tasks as me.

As you can imagine, people wanting their car fixed aren't gonna be in the best mood from the get-go. But when you add an additional lack of understanding of the structure of a dealership, as well as self-entitlement, situations like the following happen:

A lady calls me regarding a safety recall on her vehicle. Nothing out of the norm. However, right off the bat, she seems to be expecting a mechanic to have had answered the phone. Which, is not how this works. Mechanics work on cars, they do not answer the phone. She is essentially wanting the nitty-gritty details of how the recall will be performed, which as a simple receptionist, I cannot answer. I proceed to tell her I can schedule her appointment, and/or send her to a service advisor's phone to get those details. She VERY reluctantly agrees, and I place her on hold to page an advisor.

When I put a call on hold, anyone in the dealership can pick up within approximately a 4 minute timespan. If they are busy, it will ring back to me and I take the customer's information to give them a call back.

Not TWO minutes roll by, and she is calling back. Meaning she didn't wait for an answer, and instead hung up to call me back. Here is our general conversation from there:

"Listen, I dont have time to wait on the phone all day. Just tell me about the recall."

Me: "Im so sorry ma'am, they must be busy at the moment. Like I said, your recall will be free and *list more simple details here* If you want, I can take your information and have them call you back ASAP if you're looking for anything more detailed than what I just told you!!"

"NO, I do not want to wait on the phone. I don't understand, all you're telling me is you can schedule me or get me to someone else, I'm trying to talk to you."
(EXACTLY? THATS WHAT IM TRYING TO TELL YOU???? THAT SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO SPEAK TO YOU?)

me: "Ma'am, my apologies but I cannot personally provide you with that information. I'll have to take your information."

"LISTEN, I KNOW I'M BEING BELIGERANT, BUT YOU'RE NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT I NEED, OTHERWISE YOU COULD TELL ME."

My coworker finally notices I've been going back and forth with her for about 8 minutes now. At this point, I was newer on the job, so I wasn't really aware of how and when to cut off the conversation. She finally takes the phone and simply says "Yes, ma'am. I'm so sorry. We will have them call you back!" Then hung up.

And that my friends, is how I learned to have a limit with my customers' behavior.

Last edited:
I work in operations for one of the best financial companies in the U.S. I don't generally have any stories to share or that I'm willing to share, but I will say I enjoy my job a lot and I get a lot of laughs every day out of it while I'm there.

Basically, my job doesn't stress me out because the people I work with are great and there's nothing stressful about it in the first place! :blush:

I work in operations for one of the best financial companies in the U.S. I don't generally have any stories to share or that I'm willing to share, but I will say I enjoy my job a lot and I get a lot of laughs every day out of it while I'm there.

Basically, my job doesn't stress me out because the people I work with are great and there's nothing stressful about it in the first place! :blush:

That’s amazing! I actually absolutely love my job too! It’s a very rewarding experience working with a *majority* of customers. I also love my coworkers, they’ve actually helped me out a lot recently with getting a new vehicle!
I’ve never been happier at a job in my life! Plan to stay here for years to come:)
I just enjoy talking about the interesting experiences that come with it. It’s part of what makes my job more exciting!
Post automatically merged:

It’s very shocking everytime to me how people treat those working a front desk job like they don’t know anything.
Today I had a lady call in to my dealership. Having issues with her car. No problem! I proceed to get her scheduled in, so I’m asking her questions about her vehicle situation.
She’s cussing the entirety of the conversation, which while is unprofessional, I usually disregard, because I know car struggles are extremely complex and stressful.
She finally SCREAMS at me, “I DONT NEED YOU ASKING ME ALL THESE QUESTIONS, I NEED TO BE SCHEDULED, ****ING TRANSFER ME.”
….
“Ma’am… it’s quite literally my job to schedule you. That’s what I’m trying to do right now.”
That being said, she did not get scheduled in with me. The conversation ended, due to her lack of human decency. My company doesn’t tolerate those types of situations.

She ends up getting scheduled in with my coworker, who was quite more stern with her. Was also cussing the whole conversation and blaming us for her problems.

Finally, she calls back to speak to a service advisor. Service advisors oversee all maintenance in the shop, they are who you drop your keys off to, and they give you all details and updates on your vehicle throughout service.
She is still rude and yelling at me to do what she wants.
I go back to warn him about her. She proceeds to be an absolute DOLL to him. Sweet as can be. We were all in awe at the shift in her behavior.
Really goes to show, that to some people, receptionists (or anyone lacking a degree/certification) is useless and untrained. Despite working for a specific company and knowing the ins and outs.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just an unfortunate and puzzling situation a customer is in.
I work at a dealership.
A lady calls in and starts with "...so my wiper fluid container... that holds wiper fluid?"
Instantly I know something terrible is gonna be said. I'm like "Okay... and....?"
She says. I can't make this up: "Gas was put in it. By accident"
When I tell you everyone in this building had their jaw on the ground when they found out. How does this even happen.

I got a quick and funny one:

Back when I worked at my first job at a pizza place, someone placed an online order for an extra cheese pizza, but customized it themselves to have light cheese. I was so confused as to why this was, so when making it, I simply made a pizza with the regular amount of cheese. Even the co-workers around me were laughing at what this customer wanted, and one suggested they call their phone number to double-check. We never did, and the customer must've been satisfied with what we made as they didn't even complain or mention why they made such a confusion decision.

Look, if you're going to order a light cheese pizza, don't customize the extra cheese one. That's all I gotta say.

This is just an unfortunate and puzzling situation a customer is in.
I work at a dealership.
A lady calls in and starts with "...so my wiper fluid container... that holds wiper fluid?"
Instantly I know something terrible is gonna be said. I'm like "Okay... and....?"
She says. I can't make this up: "Gas was put in it. By accident"
When I tell you everyone in this building had their jaw on the ground when they found out. How does this even happen.
I really want to know what happened because what?!

Back