• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Sports Thread

newspress-collage-y5dwh655a-1705.jpg

Wide Right Part II

Wow,I remember Super Bowl XXV back in 1991 when the Buffalo Bills had a chance to win the game with 8 seconds left if they could make a 47 yard field goal.The kick was wide right and they lost to the New York Giants 20-19.That was the first of four consecutive losses in the Super Bowl for the Bills and they are the only NFL team to have the dubious distinction of losing four straight.This season after twelve games the Bills were 6-6 and it looked like they were going to miss the playoffs but they rallied and won their last five games and one playoff game to advance to the Divisional round and face their old nemesis,the Kansas City Chiefs.With 1:47 left in the game the Bills had a chance to tie the game and possibly send it to overtime but the kick was....you guessed it....wide right.They lost 27-24 and I don't think there's an American professional sports franchise that has had as much hard luck as the Bills.Geez,even the Chicago Cubs managed to win a World Series a few years ago.

I have never, ever been interested in sports until this past year. I'm now an avid football fan! I've been watching it with my dad, mom, family friend, and husband. Now that my dad's passed I'm even more fired up to see how this season turns out. I gotta see the end for him.

I was so sad to see the Bills flop again, but old habits die hard. There's still one thing left to see though- the Chiefs getting sent home crying!
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 532678
Wide Right Part II

Wow,I remember Super Bowl XXV back in 1991 when the Buffalo Bills had a chance to win the game with 8 seconds left if they could make a 47 yard field goal.The kick was wide right and they lost to the New York Giants 20-19.That was the first of four consecutive losses in the Super Bowl for the Bills and they are the only NFL team to have the dubious distinction of losing four straight.This season after twelve games the Bills were 6-6 and it looked like they were going to miss the playoffs but they rallied and won their last five games and one playoff game to advance to the Divisional round and face their old nemesis,the Kansas City Chiefs.With 1:47 left in the game the Bills had a chance to tie the game and possibly send it to overtime but the kick was....you guessed it....wide right.They lost 27-24 and I don't think there's an American professional sports franchise that has had as much hard luck as the Bills.Geez,even the Chicago Cubs managed to win a World Series a few years ago.

This right here. They just started choking so hard near the end. Such a miserable loss.

Well, the Super Bowl is set. San Francisco 49er's versus Kansas City Chiefs. None of the teams I would have rooted for made it all the way, so I'll be watching just to see who wins and how.

I'm almost sad to see the Detroit Lions knocked out. Even though they're a division rival, they've had such a rough time that it would have been nice to see them do well.

Yeah. I was hoping for the Baltimore Ravens to make it to the Super Bowl. It looks like the Chiefs are winning it all again this year.

I can't say I really care for the NFL that much. I strongly prefer college level football.

I'm a person whose household is obsessed with football, and I'm unfortunately caught in the crossfire. My stepdad is a Chargers fan, my mom likes the Broncos, my little sister likes the Chiefs (overrated imo), and my little brother likes the Cowboys. I used to cheer for the Panthers, but that was because my school mascot at the time was also a panther. Nowadays I don't get involved in NFL shenanigans.

I'm a person whose household is obsessed with football, and I'm unfortunately caught in the crossfire. My stepdad is a Chargers fan, my mom likes the Broncos, my little sister likes the Chiefs (overrated imo), and my little brother likes the Cowboys. I used to cheer for the Panthers, but that was because my school mascot at the time was also a panther. Nowadays I don't get involved in NFL shenanigans.
Oof, you really are caught in the crossfire, all those teams are eck in terms of fandoms, except for the Panthers. The Chargers are probably the least eck out of the others you listed.

I think the 49ers are gonna win this year. The Chiefs have been killing it and have a strong chance for sure. But I’m predicting 49ers, partly because I’m contrarian, and partly due to astrology…

Is it bad that I want the Chiefs to lose only because I thought it was ridiculous when they threw a temper tantrum over this offsides call. The refs have made some terrible calls all season, but this one was clearly correct and they acted like spoiled children.

GBB6aDvWcAA3iGb.jpg:large

The “no context Ric Flair memes” page on Instagram reminds me how wild and funny old-school pro wrestling was lol.

I’d love the 49ers to win only to tie with Pittsburgh for Super Bowls wins. Maybe then that would get the fans to shut up about Six-burgh. Also, the Swiftie reactions would be hilarious when the Chiefs lose.

That was definitely off-side, by the way.

GettyImages-2004177851.jpg
travis-kelce-taylor-swift-super.jpg

They did it again.The Kansas City Chiefs win Super Bowl LVIII 25-22 over the San Francisco 49ers.It's amazing how the Chiefs won this game when they weren't at their best for most of it but that's how it was for them the whole season.Maybe they just didn't want to disappoint Taylor Swift after she flew all the way from Japan to see the game.Nah.As long as they have Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid they'll always have a chance to win.

I was big into PLAYING sports as a kid, though I was less interested in watching the games of adult strangers. I loved basketball and was very good at it. I also wanted to play baseball, but it was very difficult to get onto a baseball team as a girl in the early 2000s, so I played informally with friends. Soccer was NOT my strong suit at all. I'm much better with bursts of speed and hand-based dexterity (pitching, hitting, shooting baskets) than I am with endurance running and fancy footwork.

As an adult, I still don't follow many popular sports. However, I LOVE the Olympics, both summer and winter. I'll watch anything. My absolute favorite Olympic sports are:

Summer
  • Skateboarding
  • Handball
  • BMX Freestyle
  • Karate
  • Gymnastics
  • Diving
  • Unbelievably excited for Breaking (breakdancing) to be added in 2024!!!
Winter
  • Snowboarding (both the half-pipe and the long one-way course)
  • Ski Jumping
  • Speed skating
  • Luge
  • My parents were obsessed with Curling when I was growing up, so I have a soft spot for that one too.

I'm actually not surprised the Kansas City Chiefs won. I was rooting for the San Francisco 49ers. I really don't care for the NFL, though, so this isn't too upsetting.

I filled out my March Madness bracket! I picked North Carolina to win, but a lot of people I know (personally and non) have picked UConn for the win. (I get it though…they’re good, and in my final four.)

I kind of wish they had Drag Race brackets every time a new season is announced lol.

North Carolina lost…but oh well. At least Houston, Illinois, and Tennessee are still in March Madness. (three of my final four— thought I had UConn in it, but actually it was Illinois)

Once again,the University of Arizona lost in the NCAA Tournament.At least they got past the first round this time.

Welp, with Penguins win this afternoon, the Flyers are now out of NHL playoff position after being in most of the season. They could still make it, but it’s not likely (and I doubt we’d get out of the first round, tbh). While our offense has not been great lately, I also feel like we’d still have a chance if our regular goalie hadn’t been involved in the events following the 2018 Hockey Canada World Juniors (I’m not going into details bc there’s a lot and it’s pretty bad. If you Google, heads up for SA. Ugh, I’m so disgusted by him & the other players involved). Oh well, we did a lot better than many thought we would, so there’s that. And I’m happy that Fedotov finally made it out of Russia, even though it would’ve been great to have gotten him more time to adjust to NHL gameplay before throwing him in. And baseball’s started and Embiid’s back with the Sixers, so there’s that.

Also: I can’t believe I didn’t find the egg that was hidden here. The clue totally went over my head. 🥲😅

3981d4809081b45252d5a35b92e11346.jpg

After 28 years of incompetent ownership,mismanagement,angering the local politicians,poor drafting and downright stupidity the Arizona Coyotes are leaving The Valley Of The Sun for Salt Lake City,Utah.I've been a hockey fan for many years and I probably should be upset by this but I'm really not.This team has been perpetually plagued by team ownership that was either incompetent,not financially sound,dysfunctional or a combination of all three.I feel bad for all the promising young players that had to work for such a mess of a franchise.I had season tickets for the first seven seasons of Coyotes hockey and it was a fun time(I shared season tickets with a good friend of mine who had to move out of state,so I probably would have had the tickets longer if they had stayed).

I hope the team finds success in its new city but I have my doubts about that(nothing against Salt Lake).The Phoenix metro area has a population of just over 5 million people while the Salt Lake metro area has a population of around 1.2 million and SLC already has a well established NBA team with a hardcore following.In addition to that,SLC doesn't exactly have a rich history of ice hockey.Phoenix has had professional hockey in some shape or form since 1967 when the Phoenix Roadrunners started operations here.A lot of people think there aren't any real hockey fans in Phoenix but I attended several Roadrunners games in the 70's and I saw some of the most hardcore fans of any sport at those games.

Probably the most bizarre thing coming from all of this is that the Coyotes could possibly return to Phoenix within five years.The current Coyotes would remain in Utah with a different team name but there are rumors that outgoing team owner Alex Meruelo has been promised an all new NHL expansion team if he can build a new arena by 2029(Meruelo will retain rights to the Coyotes name,logos,colors,etc.).Geez,does that mean we might have to go through all this nonsense all over again?

Back