• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How to get 2nd/3rd place fishing trophies

Tiffany

🌜 from Lunasoleil 🌞
Bells
Switch
3772-7854-6594
Blue Christmas Stocking
Blue Train Engine
Sleek Train Car
Cute Train Car
Floral Train Car
Yellow Caboose
Crystal Tree
Lost Star Fragment 004.MB
Tockoid
Froggy Snowman
I am trying to get the 2nd/3rd place fishing trophies(need the bug ones too). I did not think it would be this difficult, I am trying not to win fer crying out loud!

My game is a bit behind so I am in Feb. First attempt I turned in a pond smelt, Chip said Bob was in 1st place so I left it at that. Didn't place at all.

Went back turned in the first fish I caught(a dace) and it got high score and I ended up winning(2nd and 3rd place were pond smelts).

Went back to 5:50 and since the last time pond smelts got 2nd/3rd I caught one and handed it in. High frickin score again(Chip even pointed out pond smelts aren't normally that big, grrrrrrr).

This is crazy, I don't want to win but I can't lose! Does anyone have an tips on how to get the silver/bronze trophy? Tips for same with bug off are also appreicated. Thanks

I've never come across that problem, since I don't have all the furniture from each event, but I also want to get the 2nd and 3rd place trophies eventually. Maybe just don't turn in another fish? Or maybe you're just having bad luck, idk.
I hope you find an answer!

A little bit of planning and a little bit of luck. Keep checking with Chip to find out which villager has the largest fish and at the last minute, turn in a fish a tad smaller. Hopefully, you will get lucky and come in second or third. Good luck!

I've done this in my other town but with two alts. I always try to participate in a tournament that involves catching any kind of fish so I could farm those sharks for all the three characters. Same with bugs, I just go for the big ones in the island then hand them over. One of them will surely gets first place, then another second and finally, third xD

Like the person above said, "winning" with 3 characters on the same day is the best way to go. For the Fishing Tourney, do one where you can submit any fish since apparently most villagers have never seen a Sea Bass.

Last edited:
To get them I used my extra players or my spare town players to get all of them.
The fishing one is harder to get all of them. Bug off is easy.

Usually, it should say when you receive a 2nd or 3rd place on the spot. For instance, Baabara has a 50-inch sea bass and you have a 48.9-inch sea bass, you're second! Chip will inform you are second.

Then at 5:50pm, chances are, the first place will have increased. Try to catch a smaller size than the 1st.

Now, with third place, which to me is the hardest to get of all! Try to grab at least 3-inches less than the 1st place's size. If you're accidently second, then see if you become 3rd at 5:50. make sure your score is not too low before the dead line or you'll not receive a trophy.

It is easier for the bug trophies. See above to get second and third place.

Do you only have the one character to play with? That will make this trickier, but if you keep tabs on what size fish have been submitted and have a few different sizes on hand for the final 5 or so minutes of the tourney then you should be right. Landing on 3rd place will be the most tricky I think, but it shouldn't take that many attempts with the advice in this thread.

I have always played AC with 4 characters so winning the trophies is almost never an issue. One of my first ACWW tournies had a villager pip me at the post with a *coelacanth* which I'd never even seen yet - and it hadn't rained in days - which I'm still bitter about lol. But as others have said, it's much easier to get the trophies when you have other characters to play with. And if you're keen to make sure your mayor wins every trophy themselves at some point, it's easy enough to set that up.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Nope. I have four. I'm not even the Mayor of my town. This gal named Pippa is my Mayor. I don't like the word Mayor because a female mayor is a Mayoress. Lol, I'm so specific. Anyway, so instead of me being mayor, I made up this gal called Pippa. I actually didn't think to use all four of my characters for the tourney. I thought it would be too hard to do all in one day lol. It would wear me out!

I just take it as it comes, sometimes I don't win, but I am happy no matter what. I just want to have fun in the tourney, not even to win now the fact that I have all six trophies (bronze, silver and gold trophies for both fish and bug) for all four characters.

Thanks for all the advice guys! When I turn in fish Chip has only ever told me that I beat the high score, that I'm already the high score and new fish didn't beat my own score or that so and so villager is the high score. This was only after I turned in a fish or at least has one on me and didn't give it to him .
If I don't have a fish he won't tell me anything. He has never said I'm in second or third so I guess I have only turned in fish that were biggest or not good enough to place. I do have 3 other characters(only made recently in fact)so I may have to try that trick.
Thanks again. :)

You need to talk to Chip but decline to give him a fish - he'll then tell you what the current top entry is. It doesn't matter whether you're holding a fish you could give him or not, he'll always tell you the top entry details of you talk to him but choose not to hand a fish over.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't think he tells you what place you're in - if you're not top - but it's easy to keep track of that since he tells you the measurements. If you were in 1st place with a 25inch sea bass and now a villager is in 1st with a sea bass of 30inches, you're most likely in 2nd place.

My 3rd character got the gold trophy, my mayor got the silver, and my 2nd character got the bronze trophy in last Saturday's fishing tournament. I've submitted a 113 in. hammer shark, 81 in. hammer and 60 in. saw shark.

Back