• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Bell Tree Direct - 2.7.24 - Twenty Years of TBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

Staff
Administrator
Site Owner
Bells
Island
Númenor
Golden Watering Can
Red Pansy
White Pansy
White Pansy
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Rose
Purple Violet
White Lily
tbtDirect20240207.png

Good morning and welcome to our first Bell Tree Direct of the year, which leads us directly to the primary topic of today's announcements. Not only is this the first Bell Tree Direct of 2024, but this Direct is about The Bell Tree in 2024. This is a year of special significance to the site!

Twenty Years of TBT

tbt2024.png
As you may know, The Bell Tree started in the ancient days of the internet. Back in 2004, before the existence of YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, or social media as a concept, you could join a small forum to talk about the market price of turnips in your virtual town. The Bell Tree has changed in many ways in the two decades since then, but hopefully, it has continued to act as an online home for all of you, the thousands of diverse people who make up this community. While TBT's actual 20th birthday is on November 7th, we're dedicating the full year of 2024 to this milestone!

We have an extra large lineup of events happening throughout the year, some new, some more familiar but with a twist. We're also starting two new projects to help showcase the community and its history. I'll talk more about these in the sections below.

An Extra Special Year of Events

A special year deserves special events, so we have something planned at least every month! For the first time, we've created a (tentative) schedule for the entire year. The table below shows our list of planned events, both big and small, but keep in mind that there may be changes as these dates get closer. There's also the possibility for other small happenings to be added to the schedule because these only represent the ones that have been planned so far. Our goal is to make each event unique enough and fit together in a way that they won't be overwhelming.

Tentative start dateTentative end dateEventSpecial notes
February 9thFebruary 24thLunar New YearNew event
March 7thMarch 18thFarewell to New Leaf OnlineOne-time event
March 29thApril 1stTBT's Twelfth Annual Easter Egg HuntSpecial 20th Year Edition
April 1stApril 2ndHmmm...What could it be?
April 20thApril 28thHybrid Flower BreedingReturning after 5 years
May 18thJune 2ndTBT World Championships 2024Returning after 3 years
June 7thJune 16thCelebrating Diversity 2024
July 27thAugust 25thThe Bell Tree Fair 2024Birthday Party Edition
September 20thSeptember 29thMushroom SeasonNew event
October 18thOctober 31stHalloweenDetails TBD
November 7thNovember 10thTwenty Years on The Bell Tree
December 12thDecember 25thTBT's Season of Giving 2024

The Bell Tree Fair, happening this summer, will act as TBT's official birthday party celebration. This will be followed by a small 20-year event in November to remember the forum's history. Aside from these, there are plenty of other new and returning events happening during the other months. We're starting this Friday with a first for the forum: Lunar New Year!

dragoParty.png

Join us this weekend for the start of the Year of The Dragon and its new TBT event!

Introducing the Art Book Project

artBook.png
One of the most extraordinary traits of the TBT community is the amount of amazing artwork that its talented members create year after year, event after event. During our long history, we've hosted numerous events that have received a ton of incredible entries from a ton of different members. Wouldn't it be nice to showcase these creative pieces beyond the events' closing ceremonies?

This year, we're starting a new project to help do exactly that: a digital art book for The Bell Tree. This will be a free book, published in digital form, displaying hundreds of different pieces of artwork created by your fellow TBTers. We would also like to keep the option open to publish a physical form of the book in the future, so it will be created in a way that can allow for this to happen.

This project is in the very early stages of planning and we'll likely be reaching out to you, the community, for help in the upcoming months. Each artist will need to give permission for their artwork to appear in the book. In some cases, we may also need a higher-quality image if one exists. We'll also be tasked with sorting through thousands of pieces of art to select the ones that will be featured. This will not be limited to event winners and we hope to include a large number of entries, but there will need to be some sort of selection process to determine which ones should be included. We hope you're excited to see the community's amazing art all together in one place. Feel free to let us know your thoughts and suggestions!

Introducing the Forum Archive Project

archive2.jpg
Continuing our announcements related to the site's history and events, we have a second project starting this year: a TBT Archive. The regular occurrence of The Bell Tree's events is one of its most defining features that sets it apart from other forums. A lot of time and effort is spent on them by both the hosts and participants. However, after the events end, they're typically hidden away, rarely seen again.

This project will create one central public archive of our events and other retired boards. The boards will be closed to posting, organized together in some way, and placed under a subforum of Bell Tree HQ. Not every event or discussion board in TBT's history was meant to be permanently public, so this will require the staff to slowly go through decades of boards that are privately archived. These will then be combined with the currently public, yet unlisted, boards that we've used when closing out events in recent years.

We hope to share the contents of this project later in the year and we'll be open to hearing your input when that time comes.

New Reactions!

After much staff consideration and community input, we've added two new default reactions.

🫂 The hug reaction is a useful way to show your care, support, and camaraderie for other users and their posts.

🎉 The celebrate reaction is the perfect way to show congratulations, celebration, or excitement.

Let us know what you think about the decision we came to after your input from the September Direct. Hopefully, the friendly blue blobs are clear enough to accurately portray their intended meaning!

Upcoming Downtime

Now for something a little less exciting. Starting the morning (ET) of March 4th, the site will go offline for server maintenance. While we don't have an exact estimate for when it will come back online, the maintenance should be expected to take a good portion of the day. In the meantime, we invite everyone to visit our Discord server. This is backend maintenance, so there will be no visible differences on the forum once we're back online.

Free Bells!

Like many of our other Directs, this one comes with free bells! Be sure to redeem them before they expire next week!

bamWithBells.png
Click here to receive your 65 Bells!

And that concludes today's announcements. We hope to see you two days from now for the start of our brand-new Lunar New Year event! Thanks for reading!

really appreciate the 2024 year schedule of events and what’s happening!!! this will help me and probably others feel prepared to take part 🥹 i imagine engagement numbers will be higher as we know what’s coming

also.. A COMMUNITY ARTBOOK??? this is such a lovely idea 😭

Oooh I love the new reactions & I’m excited for all of these events! 🥳

Look at all those new events! 2024 is going to be a really fun year, I can ready tell. Thank you for the updates and everything you do to keep this site running, staff! Every single event so far has been fun in their own special ways, and I know most of us really look forward to them. Excited to see what this year will bring 🥰

Happy 20th year, TBT! I look forward to everything in store this year. Thanks for the bells!

So much cool stuff in this direct! 😍 So many events?? An Artbook??? Archive???? New reactions????? AHHHHHHHH!!!!

Also don’t think I didn’t notice that the egg hunt ends on April Fool’s Day… (please don’t be cruel ;-; )

I’m so excited to see the Lunar New Year event! And we only have to wait a couple days!!! 😁

And can’t wait to celebrate during the Birthday Fair 🥳 Happy 20th birthday, TBT!!!!! 🎂

This all seems very interesting, this year for TBT is going to be a great one for sure!

I’d like to know how the New Leaf event is gonna work out, though I’m not really fond of the return of the TBT World Championships for obvious reasons.

The archive stuff looks interesting, the Art Book might not be for me but it’s a nice addition, the hugging reaction would be perfect for the “What’s Bothering You” thread and Any post relating to accomplishment would cater the celebration reaction the best.

TL;DR, good stuff.

I’m so excited by everything (well, maybe not the farewell to ACNL online — what an era!). I was just thinking to myself recently that I wanted to be part of a zine and I was looking for ones to apply to — the art book sounds great! Let me innnnnnnnn!!!!

Thanks for planning and for the bells and for the years of friendships you’ve sparked in this little corner of the internet. 🥳

can someone tell me what the TBTWC is? I've heard of it when i lurked before making my acc, but idk what it is. If its a video game competition, I'll try to participate in Splatoon 3 if it is available. I am a MENACE with my Luna Blaster Neo kit.

Love the new reactions! So glad we have more now! Welcome Hug 🫂 and Celebrate 🎉

Lunar Event has me worried. As a massive Drago fanboy my TBT is quite low and need my 2 rows to all be Dragos if we get a collectible of him.

I can't wait for the April Fools Event for this year! It being tied with the Egg Hunt will make it even more chaotic than last year 🤪

Mushroom Season looks pretty neat, but I'm looking more forward to Halloween. Last years was really creative and I cant wait to see what the staff have in store for this year.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this schedule. There's a little something all around the year so it breaks the monotony. Can't wait to celebrate TBT's 20th! 🥳🎉

I would not be on TBT if I was in a relationship
now what have i done to you for you to mock me publicly like this 😔
Post automatically merged:

can someone tell me what the TBTWC is? I've heard of it when i lurked before making my acc, but idk what it is. If its a video game competition, I'll try to participate in Splatoon 3 if it is available. I am a MENACE with my Luna Blaster Neo kit.
it's a video game competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back