• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Your skincare!

I really should take better care of my skin cause, O M G, have I got some BAD acne. Years of untreated acne has left scarring on my back and some on my face, that's how bad it is. But it's also so bad that alot of products haven't done jack for me. The one thing that worked for the longest was Proactive but even then it was never 100%, and when my time-of-month hormones flared up so did the whiteheads :') I would say it got rid of like 50-70% of my acne and alot of the redness in my skin. But I think after a while it stopped being as effective, cause I would still see alot of acne on regular days.

Now I'm only concerned with dry skin. My job has me working around wet dogs, so my hands get dry, the skin starts to peel kind of (not like a sunburn peel but it does get so dry to the point that I can pick some off). Also my legs will randomly get dry flaky-ish skin. I occasionally use lotion but I should def use it more, esp on my hands.

I also started to use an oatmeal-lavender soap that I hope will be as good as my other oatmeal soap, it made my skin so soft and smelled so good.

Name: Rika
Age range: 25-30
Skin type: combo, acne-prone
Skin concerns: acne scaring and anti-aging
Skin sensitivity: not really sensitive but I do react to certain skincare products that contain pore-clogging ingredients and heavy fragrances

skincare products I use:
-micellar water to take off makeup, I like BioDerma but garnier has one that is very similar
-cleanser to wash my face twice a day. In the morning I use one that contains salicylic acid (one I’m testing out right now is from the inkey list) and in the evening I use vanicream gentle foaming cleanser
-SKII essence (this is quite a splurge but one large bottle last me for a whole year)
-first aid beauty barriair cream (a lighter version of their best seller cream which is too heavy for me)
-eye cream (any brand does the job, not particularly loyal to a single product as they all pretty much do the same)
-sunscreen in the morning

twice a week I will also use the ordinary AHA and BHA peeling solution, as well as peterthomasroth’s sulfur mask to keep the acne situation under control.

I was once super into skincare and jumped on the bandwagon that you need more to achieve more, but I learned the lesson hard way that my skin really doesn’t like it when I switch up my routine too often and use too many items, so now I try to keep the routine simple

I'm in my late 20s and I still have issues with acne 😔 and oily skin in general. I use Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser for my face and wash my face in the morning and night. Then if I have any trouble spots, I use a prescribed topical acne medicine (Clindamycin Phosphate Gel USP 1%).Usually if I stay hydrated and avoid fried and oily foods (like chocolate), then my breakouts are pretty minimal.

I've updated my main post with product updates and a routine section! It's been really nice seeing everyone's routines and products :) Thank you again everyone for sharing!

I'm about thirty years old, and while I'm not prone to acne, I find I can have breakouts, especially during covid when my face has to constantly have a piece of fabric held against it. That one of the things I look forward to the most post-covid, is I finally won't get as many pimples.
I honestly only really wash my face once or twice a day with dove soap and a baby washcloth (one that is much more gentle on your skin) just to get off the grease and debris from the day. I do use makeup wipes to remove makeup, but I usually only do that about twice a week to reset everything. I do also have a hydrating mist spray that I use, but I haven't seen too much of an effect from it. I notice that the best treatment for breakouts is to stop eating so much GOSH DANG SUGAR!

Name: Aly
Age Range: 25-30
Skin Type: Combination
Skin Concerns: Not too many at this point (fingers crossed)! I have some minor acne scars that are in the process of fading, and some extra oiliness every now and then on my T-zone (especially around that time of the month). But that much is normal for someone who has Combination skin. I occasionally get little whiteheads also around that time, 'cause of hormones. And I'm still working on a bad habit of touching my face...
Skin Sensitivity: Moderate. I mean, I don't think my skin would be classified/diagnosed as Sensitive, but I've noticed what I believe is irritation and breakouts from several different products and ingredients I've tried over the years. So, better safe than sorry, I guess.

Current Products and Skincare Routine:

After trying literally everything for years, from drugstore stuff to Korean skincare and everything in-between, this set of products has proven to come through for me time and time again. I make sure to use ingredients that are as natural and safe as possible. So, that means no fragrances, no artificial preservatives, no synthetic substances or colorants of any kind! Each product on its own is reasonably priced. But, obviously, it comes out to a considerable sum altogether––which I honestly don't mind, just because they're all so natural and effective!

1. Cleanser
Aleavia Purifying Organic Facial Cleanser - Gentle but powerful stuff! I used to use a charcoal facial cleanser that had natural granules in it for a "two-in-one" cleanser plus scrub. But I got tired of its smell and texture, and the tingling sensation it left on my skin. So, I switched to this Aleavia cleanser which has a smooth, gel-like consistency and a faint smell of coconut oil, since that's one of its main ingredients. Surprisingly, it doesn't break me out despite the coconut oil. (Though, I've never had a problem with coconut oil or any natural oils that can be applied to the skin.) Besides, most people's skin needs considerable moisture for just about every reason!

2. Toner
Oleavine Clarifying Toner - I switched to this toner because I get a lot more for a lot less than my previous one! It has a nice cucumber scent and does exactly what a toner should do.

3. Retinol Serum
Tree of Life Retinol Serum - This helps treat my acne and reduce redness considerably! I'm seriously amazed! I often use it as a standalone spot treatment for my breakouts. I don't think it's a super potent retinol serum, since it's combined with other natural ingredients that are listed closer the top of the ingredients list, unlike the retinol itself. But considering its relatively low price point and very effective natural ingredients (plus the retinol, of course), it's still a great serum!

4. Moisturizer/Niacinamide Serum
KRANICELL Galacto Complex Repair - This is a Korean skincare product that I happened upon while searching for a niacinamide serum to treat acne scars and prevent breakouts. And while this serum does contain niacinamide, it's only 2%. 97% of it consists of galactomyces (hence the name of the product), which is a fungal yeast that grows in fermented rice (a.k.a. saké) that's known to greatly moisturize and defend the skin. So far, I have no complaints!

5. Acne Spot Treatment
Lorelis Labs Cystic Acne Spot Treatment - As I mentioned in the beginning, I mainly get small whiteheads, so I'm pretty sure I don't have cystic acne (which is usually described as very large and/or severe acne). I tend to use this before I go to bed because it leaves an oily sheen since it contains coconut oil. I wake up with noticeably reduced redness and swelling of my breakouts!

Makeup Remover Wipes
Rawganic Facial Wipes - Not only are these priced very well for the amount you get, but they come in one of my favorite scents (pomegranate)~ I was blown away at the ingredients as well. Often, I use these not only for makeup removal, but for when I'm too lazy to wash my face, haha!

Makeup Remover Liquid/Cleansing Water
Marcelle Micellar Water - Before I found the Rawganic wipes, I was just using this micellar water with large oval cotton pads to remove all of my makeup. Needless to say, it was becoming an expensive hassle, so the wipes really came through for me! Now, I use the micellar water to touchup or treat irritation and breakouts, or if I want more thorough makeup removal (especially for my eye makeup).

Tips and alternative methods that have helped me:
  • This one might be obvious, but seriously do your research on all the ingredients in your products, especially before you buy them. I cannot tell you how much trouble (not to mention money) this has saved me! In my case, I found out that ingredients like phenoxyethanol make me break out like crazy (from firsthand experience, and then reading about it later...), and now I avoid it like the plague.
  • I no longer use a scrub, believe it or not, because I've been told that it further irritates your breakouts (which actually makes sense). And, honestly, my acne isn't nearly as bad as it used to be when I was using scrubs! Just use a good cleanser that takes care of dead skin. The mild Aleavia cleanser I use seems to be pretty good at that, and I'm assuming it's because it contains dead sea salt!
  • Sometimes, especially when my skin/acne has a lot of inflammation and irritation, I use a homemade honey and cinnamon mask. I leave it on for about 15-20 minutes. (You can leave it on a bit longer if you please, but it may start to feel uncomfortable and/or itchy!) If the honey you're using has crystallized over time, then you'll probably feel some granules as you wash it off your face. So, you'll get a natural and gentle scrub for your skin as well~ After you pat your skin dry, you are left with noticeably soft and refreshed skin! Feel free to follow it up with a toner and/or serum(s).
  • Take a natural/plant-based supplement that supports your gut/digestive system. I often take a probiotic in the morning on an empty stomach, and then a couple turmeric tablets in the evening. If I'm feeling particularly swollen or inflamed, I'll additionally take spirulina tablets and drink liquid chlorophyll diluted with water. Gut health and detoxing your body (at least by drinking lots of water and eating the right foods) are shown to be number one when it comes to having healthy skin in general.

Last edited:
Finally got a cleanser and wow,,,it's already had a big affect on my skin. I'm using an oil-based one because of dry skin in the winter and my skin already feels softer, more hydrated, and cleared of a few tiny spots I had after only two days of using it. o_O I got one to match my moisturizer, a simple one with a short ingredients list.

Now I'm waiting on an online order of SPF 50, toner, and exfoliator (both toner and exfoliator are from The Ordinary btw). I'm mostly using UK-based skincare rn but I'm definitely interested in getting some Korean brands once I need to replace my current products.

I keep it pretty simple:
• wash my face twice daily with Aveeno cleanser
• use rosewater facial toner by Andalou Naturals after cleansing
• Moisturize with Aveeno moisturizer in the morning or Andalou Naturals brightening cream if I'm not wearing makeup that day
• same first two steps in the evening but instead I use Andalou Naturals skin perfecting cream
• Also I like to use a face mask once a week! My current favourite is by Andalou Naturals it's the Avo-cocoa one :)

New update for what I use. Not sure if I'm liking the Centellian24 Madeca Cream I use in the AM (smells too much like an ointment). Might switch back to Kiehl's for my AM cream and add an SPF version...

name: tingbot
age range: late 30s (36)
skin type: dry
skin concerns: dry (thyroid) and less collagen production due to aging
skin sensitivity: like my dad, I'm allergic to glycerin, so I use vegan skin care products even though I'm not vegan lol
other information: nothing pertinent I can think of

Current Products:
- Pacifica creams and lotions (no glycerin)
- moisturizing body washes (no glycerin)

Current Routine:
- bathe 2-3x a week w/moisture wash; no more than this or skin gets too dry
- after bathing, apply Pacifica creams and lotions to dry areas

Favorite Products + Why:
Nothing specific; I just use moisturizers without glycerin to help reduce the dryness, and to avoid rashes caused by glycerin. Right now I'm using Pacifica because that's one of the glycerin-free products out there.

I tend to have rosea so I've been forgoing makeup but I use aveeno clear complexion face wash and moisturizer nightly, the shower mask twice a week and every now and then I splurge on a peel away mask from the store.

Face scrub (applied lightly), facial toner and using non scented moisturiser twice a day.

I've been doing this routine since my early 20's to combat acne and aside from using medical prescriptions to help get the worst of it under control the rest has helped my skin greatly. Breakouts are few and far between on my face and whilst I'll never be 100% free of acne, overall I'm happy with my skin.

Well since this is bumped again, I might as well post about some changes to my routine.
name: Deana
age range: 25-30
skin type: Dehydrated oily (oily but needing moisture)
skin concerns: Fading acne scars / preventing new acne + anti-aging for the future
skin sensitivity: medium/high sensitivity

current products:
Day time:
-Cerave foaming cleanser Cerave hydrating cream-to-foam cleanser
-Sebamed clear face care gel
-Biore UV aqua rich watery essence spf 50

Night time:
-Unscented baby oil (to remove makeup and sunscreen)
-Cerave foaming cleanser (same as day time, to wash away the baby oil I cleansed with)
-Cerave hydrating cream-to-foam cleanser
-Paula's choice skin recovery hydrating treatment mask (I use this as my nightly moisturizer)
-The ordinary plant based squalane oil (sometimes)
-Aquaphor (for my lips nightly and face sometimes)

Active ingredients:
-The Ordinary lactic acid 5% + HA

I switched my cleanser to the cream-to-foam cleanser due to not being able to find my regular cleanser in stock anywhere. The cleanser is pretty good and I like it for the mornings but it's not good for my evening double cleanse. Definitely worth a try for people with dry skin looking for a cleanser that is

I also decided I should work my way in to active ingredients again so I am currently using the lactic acid 5% every other day. I only just recently added this so I am still introducing it to my routine.

Something else I've introduced lately is using a crystal face roller that a friend gifted to me. I don't really use it on a super regular basis but I do enjoy it. I think it helps my skin absorb product a bit better and it's also quite relaxing too.
s2122166-main-zoom.jpg

I love skincare! I have combo skin, so my t-zone is more oily and it gets drier on my cheeks. I've experimented with a lot of different products in the past, but I've found nothing works as well as Korean skincare products for me, even compared to more expensive stuff I've tried from Sephora. Which is great, I can try a lot more products for half the price or more sometimes, lol.

Age Range: 25-30
skin type: combination
skin concerns: same as Deana ^ honestly, got a bit of old acne scarring, and it's never too early for prevention
skin sensitivity: I think its sensitivity has gone down a lot, I used to be hypersensitive to a lot of products/ingredients and it really scared me off trying new products, especially ones with acids, but a couple years ago I found my skin able to handle a lot more, so I started experimenting with new stuff

AM/Morning Routine
  • Cleanse with COSRX Low Ph Good Morning Gel Cleanser in the shower
  • Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant - the only western product I use now, I think. Pretty expensive but I love it, and one bottle lasts a long time so it evens out for me
  • Spritz with COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner when I get out of the shower
  • and then essence/serums - I have a lot of serums, I don't necessarily use them all every day, just kinda how I'm feeling
    • COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence
    • SOME BY MI Snail Truecica Miracle Repair Serum
    • Benton Snail Bee High Content Essence
    • (yes i like snail)
    • SKIN&LAB Red Serum
  • COSRX Balancium Comfort Ceramide Cream for my day moisturizer
  • Dear Klairs Soft Airy UV Essence SPF 50 for sunscreen
PM/Evening Routine
  • If I wore makeup, remove with Kose Deep Cleansing Oil
  • Double-cleanse or just cleanse with COSRX Low Ph Good Morning Gel Cleanser again
  • COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner again
  • COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid - less often now, I've been told this can be irritating if you aren't used to it, but at one point I had been using it twice a day and I was fine, so ymmv
  • One or some of the above serums again
  • SOME BY MI AHA, BHA, PHA 30 Days Miracle Cream - this isn't really a night cream, I don't think? but I've been using it as one. Previously my favourite night cream was COSRX PHA Moisture Renewal Power Cream but they were out for a while so I wanted to try something else
  • and then finish with COSRX Nourishing Rice Spa Overnight Mask

I've been going down a rabbit hole of Asian skincare products as of late, so I thought I would come back and post an updated profile.

Name: SillyPuppy
Age Range: 20-24
Skin Type: normal/combination, dry patches on cheeks (especially during the winter)
Skin Concerns: moisture, hormonal pimple(s), and occasional eczema (I've noticed that excessive stress can trigger it)
Skin Sensitivity: high sensitivity to environmental conditions and stress. Medium sensitivity to skin care products.
Other Information: I prefer neutral and light floral scents, if any

Current Products:
  • Cleanser: The Body Shop Aloe Vera Gentle Foaming Wash
  • Toner: The Body Shop Vitamin E Hydrating Toner
  • Eye Serum: The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG
  • Serum: The Body Shop Drops of Youth
  • Eye Creams: Laneige Water Bank Eye Gel and Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Eye Cream with Hyaluronic Acid
  • Moisturizer: The Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture Cream
  • Sunscreen: Etude House Sunprise Mild Airy Finish Sun Milk
  • BB Powder: Laneige BB Cushion Whitening
  • Overnight Mask: COSRX Ultimate Nourishing Rice Spa Overnight Mask
  • Makeup Remover: BIODERMA Sensibio H2O
  • Lip Balm: Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm or eos Lip Balm

Morning Routine:
  • Wash face with cleanser and pat dry
  • Apply toner with spray bottle and pat until absorbed
  • Apply respective serums to eyes, face, and neck
  • Apply eye cream and moisturizer
  • Apply sunscreen
  • Apply BB powder, during the work week only
  • Apply lip balm and re-apply throughout the day
    • During the work week, I apply the tinted lip balm
    • After work hours or during the weekend, I apply the regular lip balm
Evening Routine:
  • Remove BB powder and sunscreen
  • Wash face with cleanser and pat dry
  • Apply toner with spray bottle and pat until absorbed
  • If I'm not applying my overnight mask:
    • Apply respective serums to eyes, face, and neck
    • Apply eye cream and moisturizer
  • Apply overnight mask, once per week
  • Apply lip balm

Favourite Products:
PRODUCT NAMERATIONALE
COSRX Ultimate Nourishing Rice Spa Overnight MaskRead many positive about it and decided to purchase it on a whim. When I went to use it, I was pleasantly surprised at how light and non-sticky it felt on my face. I was expecting it to be much stickier and was worried about it getting on my pillow. When I woke up next morning, my face felt very hydrated and looked brighter than usual, too.
Etude House Sunprise Mild Airy Finish Sun MilkI find it very easy to apply and no noticeable white cast on my skin. The scent is light and pleasant. I do find it a bit drying, so I think I'll have to find another alternative for the winter so my skin doesn't become the Saharah.

Products in Testing:
  • COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence

Future Products to Test:
I may have gotten excited and much too ahead of myself in terms of purchasing. I'll be giving these products a try once I am finished using their predecessors.
  • The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Cleansing Foam
  • innisfree Intensive Hydrating Serum with Green Tea Seed - cheaper but I've seen polar opposite reviews of it online, so I'm looking forward to see how my skin responds to it xD
Other Notes:
  • I've started keeping track of how long each product can last, so I can better coordinate skincare hauls in time for seasonal sales (mostly Boxing Day/Week). Buying items at full price really hurts. >_<

2021-08-02 (August)
- Added Products in Testing section
- Updated routine with new product (second eye cream)
- Removed product no longer in use (clay mask)

Last edited:
Skin Type: Combination
Skin Concerns: Anti-aging
Skin Sensitivity: Low
Other: Use to have fairly dry skin; most of what I do now consists of using my natural oils as much as possible.

Current Products:
- Neutrogena 50 SPF sunblock
- E.L.F. cleanser, toner, moisturizer bundle (Probably named, sorry.)

Current Routine:
Morning
- Apply sunblock; dime size typically.
- Wash/oil blot if needed.
Evening
- Daily shower; while in apply cleanser; pea size.
- Apply toner; just enough to wet cotton square.
- Apply moisturizer; dime size.
Makeup Removal:
- Neutrogena wipes
- E.L.F cleanser; pea size.

Simple but it works well for me. Never use to look too into skin care due to minimal skin issues; but during my abnormal times it's made them virtually non-existent. Mostly looking into eye creams and non-wipes removal replacement. Any recommendations are appreciated. Glancing through this thread when it pops up is fun haha. Other than what I listed these have helped me the most:
- Cleaning your linens at least once a week; especially the pillow cases. Using a gentle detergent like The Laundress helps too.
- Always wear sunblock.
- Drink plenty of fluids.

Last edited:
@Snowesque, I can't recommend specific products, and to be honest, eye cream is one of those products that I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth it (for me personally). @Aurita's suggestion of The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG has helped with the puffiness under my eyes, but I've found getting enough sleep is also super important. Dark circles are also impacted by genetics. Similar to the rest of our skin, it's important to wear a hat/sunglasses whenever outside, to protect the face from UV damage (in addition to sunblock). Double protection!

At this time, I can say Laneige Water Bank Eye Gel hasn't done anything noticeable for the skin around my eyes, -- not to mention I found it expensive -- so I won't be repurchasing it. Hopefully, I will find more success with Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Eye Cream with Hyaluronic Acid. Hyaluronic acid helps retain skin moisture.

i just use offbrand facewash i bought at walmart. i have one for sensitive skin and an orange one that has some acne fighting chemical in it lol idk they were cheap

I have no skincare routine. But I'm planning on starting to wear sunscreen whenever I'm outside from now on, I heard it's a good idea

Back