• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Yanny or Laurel

yanny or laurel?

• Total voters
When I first heard of that viral modified audio clip (the one the topic's about), I heard "yanny". After that, I now interpret it as "laurel" every single time without fail.

If you do hear "yanny" (is that even a word?) consistently, it might be due of your ears picking up certain frequencies that older people are likely to.

first time I listened I heard yanny. Then a few minutes later I heard laurel I was so MAD because I couldn't unhear laurel. but now sometimes it just alternates.

but I think the audio is actually saying laurel, I watched a buzzfeed video where a Reddit user was on a dictionary thing and the audio is a pronounciation of laurel. idk if that's true because it's buzzfeed, if I wasn't so lazy I'd link the video but I think you can find it yourself

how are you guys hearing yanny? i've listened to it a million times trying to hear where "yanny" is.....

all i hear is laurel. well asapscience says i'm hearing it right so that's good

The first two times, I heard yanny. Well actually, it sounded more like yammy. But after that, I almost always hear Laurel. At one point it switched back to yammy for a few repetitions, but now all I can hear is Laurel again.

"Is the dress black and blue or white and gold?"

I hear that sped up at around 500%, then the sound of a faint gunshot right near the end.

People who hear Laurel have old people hearing, and they are going to go deaf soon. Good thing I hear Yanny, and I?m probably older than most people on this site :D

Laurel is louder for me, but when Laurel pauses, I hear Yanny too. Laurel is a man's voice, Yanny is a female's voice (kinda sounds like an old lady robot).

Last edited:
so when i have earphones in i hear laurel otherwise i hear yanny:thonk:

- - - Post Merge - - -

i mean earphones into something else like im listening to music whilst watching the vid if that makes sense lol

I'm beginning to hear more clearly now. I hear "Laurel", and the dress is still blue and black.

I'm not a good person to test this on because of my hearing impairment I had since I was little.

Last edited:
Back