• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Wisdom Teeth Removal

Have you had to have your wisdom teeth removed?

• Total voters

Darkesque_

it doesn't matter if you love him or capital H I M
Bells
Switch
0511-6300-4547
Zen Easter Egg
Nightmare Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
Aurora Easter Egg
Stardust Easter Egg
Spring Sakura
Golden Scenery
Rotating Fool's Egg
Golden Scenery
Zipper Sakura
I'll be getting my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday, and I'm kinda nervous. I am a french horn player, so I'm scared that once I remove them, my playing will be different, or something during the procedure might go wrong, and I'll never be able to play again. I know the risks are low, but still, the anxiety is there.

Have you had your wisdom teeth removed? Feel free to share your stories and tips for healing, as I will definitely be needing tips to heal very quickly.

I don't know a lot about french horn embouchure, but the third molars are pretty far back. I think you'll be okay on that front!
Being nervous before a procedure is normal and in my opinion healthy. It's the people who don't have any ounce of fear that I think we need to watch 👀

My dentist and orthodontist both recommended I remove them once my braces are done with, and I want to, so yeah, that’s happening in a year or two

I had mine out, and honestly it was totally fine. Took a few days to recover but had no problems afterwards, I don’t think you need to worry about it changing your playing!

Surprisingly I only have two wisdom teeth, the bottom two never came in. I would like to get them removed one day, but since they don’t bother me I just let them be for now.

I had one removed years ago because it grew in crooked, impacted the molar next to it and gave me an infection. I still have the other three because I didn't really want to have them all taken out at once. I regret this decision years later because it means I still ought to have the remaining three removed, but it's not something I look forward to.

Tips for healing? After they're removed, do not use straws. The suction can dislodge the blood clot that forms and is necessary for healing and can leave you with a reportedly extremely painful condition called dry socket that delays the proper healing. If you do somehow develop dry socket, apparently they can put some medicine in to help with the pain. I would suggest not playing the horn until you have the dentist or oral surgeon's okay.

I never had pain during or after the removal, to be honest. Granted, I took the painkillers on time at every interval because I wanted to ensure I wouldn't feel the pain.

Yes, avoid dry socket at all costs!
And sorry, I meant that in the long term, I imagine you'll be able to go back to playing the horn. But definitely don't do anything while you're healing!

I had to get a lot of teeth pulled as a kid because my mouth is small and crowded. But my dentist would just use lidocaine injections and pull for most teeth. So in that respect, getting general anesthesia for the wisdom teeth was awesome! Just a poke for the IV and then I was off in a beautiful unbothered sleep (although I don't know if I might have said some weird stuff while partially conscious!!)

I still have my wisdom teeth. They haven't given me any issues, and my dentist will xray them once a year, and has said they're fine. 😊🤷‍♀️

Hope your removal goes well! 🥺💜

Yes, avoid dry socket at all costs!
And sorry, I meant that in the long term, I imagine you'll be able to go back to playing the horn. But definitely don't do anything while you're healing!

I had to get a lot of teeth pulled as a kid because my mouth is small and crowded. But my dentist would just use lidocaine injections and pull for most teeth. So in that respect, getting general anesthesia for the wisdom teeth was awesome! Just a poke for the IV and then I was off in a beautiful unbothered sleep (although I don't know if I might have said some weird stuff while partially conscious!!)
The other thing I was worried about was spilling my deepest darkest secrets lol

One of my wisdom teeth was growing in sideways, and I was at the end of my parent's healthcare, so I got it removed, along with the other three.

The other thing I was worried about was spilling my deepest darkest secrets lol
Haha, if I could go back and do it again, I'd ask them if I could record the session for later. Does that count as consent if I gave consent while I was still awake, even though my unconscious mind might not consent to anyone hearing my thoughts? lol

I had one removed years ago because it grew in crooked, impacted the molar next to it and gave me an infection. I still have the other three because I didn't really want to have them all taken out at once. I regret this decision years later because it means I still ought to have the remaining three removed, but it's not something I look forward to.

Tips for healing? After they're removed, do not use straws. The suction can dislodge the blood clot that forms and is necessary for healing and can leave you with a reportedly extremely painful condition called dry socket that delays the proper healing. If you do somehow develop dry socket, apparently they can put some medicine in to help with the pain. I would suggest not playing the horn until you have the dentist or oral surgeon's okay.

I never had pain during or after the removal, to be honest. Granted, I took the painkillers on time at every interval because I wanted to ensure I wouldn't feel the pain.
If I remember I also have them growing in crooked and they won’t surface, I have to get the surgery soon.

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it!

No more wisdom teeth, I kept the last one longer, it took a longer time, several years in fact, before it got completely out.
I had got emotionally attached to it...

Not to get too specific because (((personal information))), but I was a very unusually high age when mine came in. I finally got them out a few months back after about a year of them slowly starting to peak out. After having my routine cleaning just last month, my doc told me I was almost already 100% healed. While I think genetic factor is a large portion of the healing process, taking your correct vitamins/supplements I think helps too. I also didn't bleed at all after my initial set of after care gauze which is very wow as well. All in all it was very smooth aside from the normal discomfort from swelling, and a slight irritation in my gums from the antibiotic they put me on.

Edit -- In terms of healing, follow their instructions closely on the use of heating/cooling packs shortly after post-op. This will greatly reduce your swelling. Also take the proper steps to keep the sockets clean as well, want to avoid dry socket at all costs.

I had mine removed before they broke through. All of them were done at the same time which hurt, but it was a one time thing.

I got mine removed in two separate procedures. I didn't feel pain, just some mild discomfort from the local anesthesia injection and some drilling during the extraction. Recovery was painless. I only took ibuprofen once immediately after the procedure.

Echoing what others said about avoiding dry socket. One of the things I was told was to avoid spitting after rinsing my mouth. I lightly rinsed my mouth and let the water fall out of my mouth instead. Plus, I used a syringe to irrigate the extraction site to help keep it clean. I also stuck to eating soft foods like porridge and ice cream for awhile.

I don’t know any tips on healing, but I’m pretty sure I will be having to get them removed within the next year or two, as I recently had an xray for an unrelated reason and they were like “Oo btw we noticed they’re coming through a bit”
Not looking forwards to it 😭

Back