• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What's your opinion on emojis/emoticons? Do you use them?

Do you like emojis/emoticons?

• I like the modern emojis 🍎🍊🍋🍐🫐🍇

Votes: 65 68.4%
  • I like the classic emojis :-) ^_^

Votes: 61 64.2%
  • I like Kaomoji (´ε` )♡

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • Does ASCII count?

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I like when other people use emojis/emoticons but I don't use them myself

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • I'm neutral on the matter

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • I hate it. Get outta here

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Millysaurusrexjr

Got 2 Be Real
Bells
Island
Melursus
Viridis Mushroom Lamp
Indigo Mushroom Lamp
Enchanted Bloom
Opalescent Crystal
Rose Crystal
Green Star Fragment
Blue Star Fragment
Shooting Star
Purple Star Fragment
Pink Star Fragment
As a kid wandering the internet in the early to mid 2000s I used the classic emojis a lot, you know ones like :] and XD and :O. But when I was in high school and the iPhone had come out, emojis were suddenly uncool! Then I began using them ironically, and now I un-ironically like emojis 💫🍃🐈‍⬛🍔🌴

So my question is, what about you? Do y'all like the modern emojis, do you prefer the classic ones, or the Japanese emojis (Google tells me they're called Kaomoji). Do you use them?? :unsure:

I’m not a huge fan of emojis. I like the classic text smileys, but they always get converted into the emoticons. I don’t mind using emojis on Discord or Snapchat, though. Those are the platforms I use to keep in touch with people. Although, I don’t mind when other people use emojis. I only use them occasionally on forums.

my emoji use has definitely decreased since when i was younger, but i do still use them quite a bit, usually on snapchat and ig twitter. i have noticed that on some places though (eg here) i’ll favour the ‘classic’ emoticons over newer ones

Emojis are alright, but I definitely miss the pixelated smileys, and I still use emoticons often. : )

I've never used either, but emoticons where people used to convey emotion through a keyboard was way more creative than the garbage young folk use nowadays as "emojis". God, I hate emojis because using just one face isn't enough, anymore; people feel the need to spam four or four hundred of the same damn crying-laughing emoji or other dumb yellow faces. I know this was common with forums back in the day, but since emojis have so much more accessibility than "smileys", it's gotten even worse. And I think people here are far too liberal with the usage of emojis. If you're going to use emojis, PLEASE just use one per sentence.

I appreciate both. The old emoticons are better, I’ll agree with Onlooker here. But, I find ironic use of emojis funny. Sorry, but I’m too used to ending sentences with 💀

As an aside, I always read emoticons with noses as either coming from old people, or being sarcastic. I use :^) to show sarcasm
Also I enjoy typing emoticons backwards like ( : (remove the space) which started to avoid Discord automatically turning them into emojis but now I just think it’s funny. Once someone said to me who the hell types like that because I typed a smiley backward and I chuckle at that memory.

i enjoy a mixture of modern and classic. i have a good friend who uses emojis ALOT and it has def grown on me, i think im becoming just like him. i now use 😆😄 a bit much. but i also love : ) and <3 so so much too!!

i like all three, though i don't use the latter very often. it's mostly just emojis and emoticons. i used to unironically hate the former, but they've grown on me, and there are some cute designs! i think emojis also have more versatility since there's one for most things. for example, when i'm in a low mood where i can't or don't feel like talking, i send my girlfriend a ⛈, which there isn't an emoticon for.

I like emojis better for objects/animals & the classic emotes for faces. They just give off a different vibe. I was surprised when I first joined TBT and all my happy faces were turning into :D like it just doesn't feel the same! I've gotten used to it but still, sometimes I'll change the look of my emotes so they don't change into the emojis. Like I've been using :d a lot more for tongue out faces

I don't mind modern emojis too much (I use them a lot in the What are You Happy About Today? thread to spice my posts up), but I much prefer using emoticons (aka classic emojis). My gripe is that a lot of sites/platforms convert them to emojis so I avoid certain ones like : ) or I just do a different one like :].
I'd like to use kaomojis more often, but my keyboard is set to either Canadian or United States English and it's a pain going through kaomojis online and copy-pasting them, so I just don't bother. :v

I love emojis and use them often. I just wish there were more emojis that I didn't have to download.

i prefer to use modern emojis and i've mostly stopped using classic emojis besides the occasional : ). even then, i think i use modern emojis only with close friends or with coworkers to soften requests.
in the past, i used the classic emojis fairly often and actually cringed at modern emojis, but now i think modern emojis can convey my mood or the ~feel~ better than classic emojis.

They’re cute and funny but I rarely use them. When I do, it’s for expressing happiness and laughter.

Last edited:
I mainly use emojis to convey emotions. I think they’re really useful in that sense. However, I don’t use them for other things. Like if I were to text someone and say, “Hey, we’re having tacos tonight.” I wouldn’t say “Hey, we’re having tacos tonight🌮.” That always seems very cheesy to me. I’m cool if other people want to do it, It’s just not my vibe.

It’s mostly a sarcastic use, like if I’m trying to convey sarcasm hit them with the🙃 or the 🫠

If something is cute I might do a 🥺 or a 😭

I they are good for those things.

I like all the emoticons honestly, modern and classic. On the computer I mostly use the classic emoticons since I don't have access to emojis but on my phone I use emojis when texting. I use them because I like them and sometimes they help get my tone across in text. My favorite emoji is the stars because I like stars a lot and think they are cute ^~^

I use classic emojis and modern ones!

Obviously it depends on who I am conversing with but with my friends I use random ones ironically that don't relate to what I am actually saying

i like the lemon, its my fav :lemon:

but i do like classic and modern emojis, and use both, as well as kaomoji sometimes as well as its fun and expressive

I like both classic and modern emojis. I still think the classics work better in certain circumstances, but the modern emojis have a lot more options beyond just facial expressions. I only use them occasionally but I don't mind when others use them.

Back