• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What was your first ever gaming system/video game?

The first I played was my brother's copy of Pokémon Yellow, on his GameBoy Color. I think we were 6 (me) and 5 (him). I also played his copy of Gold Version. I was so hooked that I asked for my own GameBoy Color and Crystal Version.

We continued to share non-handheld consoles until our teens (when, realistically, I just lost access to his Xbox/the PS2, etc. and we got our own PCs). Those are memories for which I'll always be grateful, and that I think make us much closer as siblings for having (even though it also inspired lots of kid fighting). It's wild to me in retrospect how many RPGs we managed to share playthroughs and save files in, but we seriously helped each other past so many tough bosses and puzzles. We even had a shared village in the GCN Animal Crossing, and we'd sit in his room for hours playing it. :)

The GameBoy was a really wonderful little system, and I think the love I had of it, plus the fact that my brother had the consoles (by possession, which is 9/10ths the law!), is what cemented me as a handheld/PC gamer. I missed out on a lot of console franchises growing up just because the consoles were in his room and we weren't getting along. But I always had my GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, etc. and my own PC.

First video game I played I guess was Tetris, or some knock off version on a Gameboy system. Not sure if it was an actual Gameboy or a knock-off since I was only about 3 or 4. The first console and game I actually owned was a Playstation 2 and Lego Racers 2, although technically Toy Story Racers and Disney's Dinosaur share that place, but LR2 was the first I actually played.

Dreamcast and Sega Genesis! First games were Sonic the Hedgehog ones! My family really enjoyed Sega 😆

i never really owned a console until i was 10 (3ds), and wiis don't really count, but before then, i guess it was an n64??

my older sister's orthodontist had an arcade style n64 in the waiting room, so me and my younger sister would always play diddy kong racing while she was getting her braces tightened. we just button mashed, but it was fun :-:

The first console I ever owned was the Nintendo 64, which I got for Christmas 2000. It came with Banjo-Tooie, which I still love to this day.

I remember playin Mario galaxy and Sunshine on the GameCube and Wii, as well as lotsa other games! I also remember watching my brother play Portal 2, and little big planet on the PS3!

I also played Hello Kitty Big City Dreams / Party on the DS 🥺

Last edited:
The first one that my family got was N64. The first one I played was an NES at my grandparents’ house: Mario/Duck Hunt. Mostly played it for Mario. My big gray Gameboy also was my handheld at this time and Super Mario Land was my go to game.

First video game was... Princess Maker 3. lol
First console: PS2, and the first game I played on it was a Rayman game that I don't even remember...

nintendo 64 and star wars: shadows of the empire, vigilante 8 and mario kart 64

Sega Genesis! I remember playing Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, ToeJam and Earl, X-Men.. ^^

For me it was the gameboy advance. My first game was Kirby nightmare in dreamland.

I played nes and snes but never owned them, the first console I got was a purple GameCube for Christmas and played supermario sunshine! And the simpsons hit and run. Then animal crossing- I remember getting ac at block buster lol was so sad to have to give it back so my mom bought one for me.

NES. My mom bought it when I was a baby. She would only ever let me play when I was in her lap and she could help me out. Then the SNES came out and she let me play one level in SMW3 and it was the one where you get a 1up and 4 power blocks. 2 feathers and two flowers. I was basically her afk farm. 🤣 🤷‍♀️

Back