• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What career did you want when you were a kid?

I always knew it was highly unlikely I would have a career as I wasn't from a family who could afford further education. I accepted my fate, which meant any hopes or dreams never existed in the first place. It's ok, just meant I never had to deal with shattered dreams or disappointment and held myself fully responsible for how I dealt with it. I became a barmaid and I hope to someday run the place, if that counts lmao. Won't be for a while in any case, since the gaffer ain't going anywhere anytime soon, but if I continue to sit on his knee when his wife ain't around and flutter my lashes, he will inevitably be charmed enough to hand over to me when the time comes, just you wait!

When I was 4 years old and playing in a corner I told my mom with full seriousness that I wanted to become a pirate when a grown up. She said something like "over my dead body"
So I'm not a pirate.

i wanted to be a marine biologist as i loved dolphins !!!! my dream quickly died tho when i realised i wasn't big on swimming (child me thought being a marine biologist meant my 9-5 would just be in the sea with them)

I shifted between wanting to be a farmer because of Harvest Moon 64 and a garbageman

I wanted to be a voice actor so bad. Especially on Adventure Time. I used to read graphic novels out loud and have a blast doing the voices.

I remember doing one of those "what do you wanna be when you grow up" projects and I went with marine biologist.

when i was rly young I wanted to be a mangaka or fashion designer eheh. I had sketches and everything. fashion and manga are still part of my interests but I'm pursuing something a lot different now

I wanted to be an archaeologist (Egyptology specifically). I'd seen The Mummy, and I thought I was going to learn to read hieroglyphs, and learn about ancient artifacts. Twelve year old me actually did spend a significant amount of time learning about Egypt lol. As a teenager, I wanted to be a journalist for a brief moment, before returning to archaeology as my "dream job", though less seriously as twelve year old me. It wasn't until I was well into uni that I ended up seeing myself in my actual field.

I’ve written about this before but when I was young I wanted to be a pilot as it seemed so glamorous flying all over the world. Then I saw a program set on a cruise ship and wanted to be a cruise director as again for the travel and glamour. I ended up working in offices and never leaving Scotland 🙈 💔

I have a clear memory of my class being asked this when I was about 6-7? I watched everyone else draw themselves as vets, firefighters, astronauts, prime ministers, authors and artists... I said I'd rather stay home and not do that 😭 what a prime example of a motivated and goal-driven child I was 🥰
SAME. I always had to make stuff up when they asked that because I literally have no desire to be working. I have hobbies and stuff I want to do but a 9-5 job has never been a “goal”

My very first dream job was to be a teacher but I rejected that idea once I started high-school. I was very determined to become a marine biologist for many years, then an author, then I wanted to study psychology and become a therapist. What deterred me from that was the insane amount of statistics and data analysis. Since I’m an absolute maths looser it wasn’t an option anymore. Now I’m a teacher! Who would’ve thought I end up back where I started!

I said I wanted to be a pilot that flew celebrities around and now as an adult I’m terrified of being in a plane 😅

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an author. Specifically I wanted to write books for kids aged 10-13. I actually wrote a 60-page chapter book when I was around that age and sent it to a publisher...he must have been pretty entertained because the writing was something else lol

When I was a kid I wanted to be a doctor but that desire has definitely passed and now I am clueless as to what to be 🥲

i wanted to be a teacher! as i got older (throughout high school mostly) my plans changed a few times (baker, interior designer, etc) but ultimately went back to teaching and that’s where i’m at now

I wanted to be , and I quote, an chef when I grew up, I cannot cook a half decent meal tho! I always either burn it, or ad the wrong ingredients and make a mess that you can barely call food! (yes I'm aware I'm sounding a lot like botw link when he cooks the dubious food) LMAO

Back