• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What are some obscure shows/movies/ect that you love? (Rant about them)

ItsThatDamCatAgain

Professional Clown
Bells
I'll go first.

When I was a kid I often stayed up very late even on school nights because of that I ended up seeing and henceforth watching an obscure show called Hero108 on Cartoon Network.
I Loved this show and still do (maybe, I've been planning on rewatching so we'll see), it was heavily plot and action focused with continuity and was just so creative with it's worldbuilding especially plus the art style is very distinct and different from most (Chinese I think? The creator was Chinese if I remember correctly).
It even got to end on it's own terms! It had a finale and everything.

And the Main Villian. Hoo. The actual main villain of the show was this absolutely terrifying beast I believe their name was something like Chaos? They were this big hulking thing that towered over everyone like a Titan, I say they because they have 2 heads though I think they're referred to as He in the show? Anyway they were this big humanoid thing that was split red and blue down the middle, they had a sort of gravelly deep voice and were a genuine threat, their fingers were smaller hands.

Hm, I haven't explained the plot yet huh? Well I'm already ranting and want you to do the same! So anyway, the plot is that Animals and Humans lived together in harmony until another human, King Highroller, managed to convince a lot of animals that humans were only using them (and he bribed them with free food/candy) and so Humans and Animals became enemies...

Except that it wasn't much of a war, humans in that world just got absolutely stomped by animals, like, civilian humans just try and mind their own business most of the time unless they are forced by the animals to live a different way (e.g. Having to live in the trees or underground, Scorpions put humans into a sort of dystopia society, ect). Like yeah, it's suuuuper one-sided.

So in comes the main good guys, the organisation, Big Green. This organisation is led by a (Hm, I think spoilers are allowed) guy called Ape Trully (who is the Monkey King in disguise as a Human, not very well but people don't ask about the costume out of politeness), So Monkey King here (and a few other animals) didn't believe High Rollers lies so Monkey King went ahead and came up with this group.

Their goal is to unite Humans and Animals once again by going to the other Animal Kings and Queens and convincing them that HighRoller was lying, when someone joins the group they get a number which is why it's called Hero108 (e.g. Aardvark King would get something like 'Hero 64').

So Yeah! I loved this show so much and the Finale of it was genuinely SO GOOD and epic like, it full on explains the title of the show, you get to see who Hero 108 is and let me tell ya, it ain't what you think. That FORESHADOWING in the damn title itself MMMMM this show was SO GOOD, I'm very upset it never got much exposure. It deserves it.

NOW, What's YOUR favourite obscure thing? Please rant the way I did so I don't feel weird!

I don't how obscure it actually is, but I bump into very few people who loves Keeping up Appearances as much as I do. Like what is not to love? I mean even UK people sometimes never heard of it so I'm rather worried sometimes lolol.

I mean splendid characters, great sense of humour and I don't how many times I've watched them I'm still laughing so much I pee when they are on. British humour when it's as its best... so many good things about it. I mean Hyacinth must be the most oblivious and silly character ever created and I love her.

I’ve rarely heard anyone mention Chowder and The Misadventures of Flapjack. They aired right around the “dark era” of Cartoon Network, so they tend to go under the radar. It’s a shame because they’re genuinely creative and entertaining cartoons. They made a huge impact on my sense of humor and I have a lot of positive childhood memories watching them.

Pen15 is one of the most under appreciated shows I’ve ever seen. It’s an adult comedy where the lead actresses/writers play as their 13 year old selves. You can tell they did some serious self reflection while creating this series. Every detail feels very authentic to the actual experiences of middle schoolers. I would advise younger people to steer clear until they’re older since the show is very inappropriate for anyone under 18.

I’ve rarely heard anyone mention Chowder and The Misadventures of Flapjack. They aired right around the “dark era” of Cartoon Network, so they tend to go under the radar. It’s a shame because they’re genuinely creative and entertaining cartoons. They made a huge impact on my sense of humor and I have a lot of positive childhood memories watching them.

Pen15 is one of the most under appreciated shows I’ve ever seen. It’s an adult comedy where the lead actresses/writers play as their 13 year old selves. You can tell they did some serious self reflection while creating this series. Every detail feels very authentic to the actual experiences of middle schoolers. I would advise younger people to steer clear until they’re older since the show is very inappropriate for anyone under 18.
OH! Chowder and Flapjack, I remember those! I didn't much like them when I was a kid or more like I was neutral towards them, I'd watch them if they were on but if there was something else I may switch over, I remember 2 specific episodes from both.

Chowder - there was an episode where Truffels was dying due to needing cream puffs, that disturbed me honestly and another episode where Chowder and that candle rat had to work together to win a competition(?)

Flapjack - an episode where Knuckles pulled a boy cry wolf so they put a straw in his mouth and dropped him in the sea as punishment and flapjack had to help him.

They really were creative and unique shows, I remember Chowder being very meta at times.

I don't how obscure it actually is, but I bump into very few people who loves Keeping up Appearances as much as I do. Like what is not to love? I mean even UK people sometimes never heard of it so I'm rather worried sometimes lolol.

I mean splendid characters, great sense of humour and I don't how many times I've watched them I'm still laughing so much I pee when they are on. British humour when it's as its best... so many good things about it. I mean Hyacinth must be the most oblivious and silly character ever created and I love her.
Mrs. Bucket...
That's boo-kay!
I love love love keeping up appearances! It is hysterical.
Post automatically merged:

Although the laugh tracks can be slightly (very) annoying in some of the older shows, I still like the Father Ted series. Comedy gold in some of those shows, such as when they had to call the nun hotline to get them through lent without caving.
Also, the Flying Circus of course...

Xiaolin Showdown to be honest. I didn't watch every episode, but I really enjoyed watching the battles, lmao.

And also, not super obscure, but kind of obscure now, but Static Shock was, and still holds up as, a really great superhero cartoon. Only the OGs remember this show.

Xiaolin Showdown to be honest. I didn't watch every episode, but I really enjoyed watching the battles, lmao.

And also, not super obscure, but kind of obscure now, but Static Shock was, and still holds up as, a really great superhero cartoon. Only the OGs remember this show.

Ah those two! A little before my time but I've heard great things from both, not very often but still great things, I heard there was some terrifying episode of Xiaolin Showdown where there was a jade dragon that stole your soul and turned you into a jade statue that it could control like a zombie.

But that reminds me, the recent show Ok k.o. let's be heroes, heard that ones real good and got a cancel but somehow managed to rap everything up in the limited time they had and still made it good. I don't know why Xiaolin reminded me of this... maybe art style?

Ah those two! A little before my time but I've heard great things from both, not very often but still great things, I heard there was some terrifying episode of Xiaolin Showdown where there was a jade dragon that stole your soul and turned you into a jade statue that it could control like a zombie.

But that reminds me, the recent show Ok k.o. let's be heroes, heard that ones real good and got a cancel but somehow managed to rap everything up in the limited time they had and still made it good. I don't know why Xiaolin reminded me of this... maybe art style?

Yeah, thinking back on it the art styles do look really similar. I never watched O.K. K.O. though, just generally not interested in any of the newer cartoons.

Yeah, thinking back on it the art styles do look really similar. I never watched O.K. K.O. though, just generally not interested in any of the newer cartoons.
Same, I don't really keep up with the newer stuff but I heard that one is actually quite good with a plot focus instead of pure comedy, I don't really know any newer stuff but considering how that turned out maybe I'll actually try and keep up with the scene to see if there's any recent good ones coming up.
Though tbh I don't really know how to do that...

Mrs. Bucket...
That's boo-kay!
I love love love keeping up appearances! It is hysterical.
Post automatically merged:

Although the laugh tracks can be slightly (very) annoying in some of the older shows, I still like the Father Ted series. Comedy gold in some of those shows, such as when they had to call the nun hotline to get them through lent without caving.
Also, the Flying Circus of course...
Yesss, it's so good. And yeah I love Father Ted! <3

Maybe I'm just a weird one but I like reading obscure books/manga especially from the late 2000s/early 2010s. Something about that just hits home for me, I guess.

Though I do a mix of "popular" (for the genre anyways, I've never actually met someone IRL who also reads Xianxia novels) and lesser-known stuff nowadays too. I think one of my fave mangas rn is The Savior's Book Cafe in Another World (because I'm weak for food isekai lol, though it's not food as much) and Magus of the Library (I've literally never met another person who's read this series, I love it) and Records of the Southern Mist House (though this one has a c-drama so I guess it's not *that* unpopular lol)

As far as shows go, I'm not a huge show-watcher anymore so it's a bit hard to say xD. So I only tend to watch popular shows/movies tbh.

i like a kitty bobo show, only one episode of it aired on tv. it was the pilot episode used to pitch the show to cartoon network in the early 2000s, it was aired during an event where kids could vote for the next new show they wanted. kitty bobo unfortunately did not make it because it got 2nd place because i believe codename kids next door got 1st place. the show was rejected because cartoon network’s demographic was mainly kids and the show looked like it would be more entertaining for teens and adults. i know if it aired today in better quality the public would eat it up.

Static Shock, Batman the Animated Series, and Batman Beyond were great shows. They didn't shy away from delving into some of the darker and deeper topics.

@Beanz lol I thought Kitty Bobo sounded familiar. It's Dante Basco the voice of Zuko from Avatar. I couldn't stop thinking about Zuko trying to be a poser with a cellphone.

Last edited:
this show probably isn’t as obscure as i think it is lol, but it immediately came to mind anyways — the end of the f***ing world. it’s a channel 4 (UK)/netflix (everywhere else) series that’s based on charles forsman’s 2011 graphic novel by the same name. i’m really bad at explaining plots and stuff lmao, but it’s essentially about two teenagers, alyssa and james. alyssa is the new girl at school and is popular, brash and impulsive, but she’s also bored with life and everything and everyone around her — including her perverted and sleazy stepdad, her pushover trophy wife mom who never stands up for her, and her baby stepbrother and stepsister. meanwhile james is a self-proclaimed psychopath (spoiler: he actually isn’t one lmao) who hates his well-meaning, but clueless, father, shoved his hand into a deep fat fryer and kills animals because he “wants to make himself feel something”, and witnessed his mother die when he was a child. after alyssa approaches him at school, james pretends to fall in love with her so that he can eventually kill her, but things don’t go as planned when she suggests they run away together to go find her biological dad, who she hasn’t seen since she was a kid. but of course, that doesn’t go as planned, either.

i’m not gonna try to explain or talk about the entire plot, but the end of the f***ing world is so, so underrated imo, and it’s even what kept me alive in 2019. 2018 and 2019 were pretty rough years (what year isn’t rough, though tbh) for me, but wanting to see season 2 and find out how alyssa and james’ story would end (since the show went a different route than the novel did) kept me going. james also became one of my favourite fictional characters along the way as well. i know how weird that sounds since he did so many terrible things, and i am not okay with them at all, nor do i condone them, but his character development blew my mind. watching him go from this homicidal, apathetic maniac to this awkward dork who reconnects with his dad, gets tipsy and dances around a stranger’s living room, sings along with alyssa to the same song over and over, listens to musicals, tells jokes, and allows himself to cry and laugh and smile and talk about his mom and his feelings — hell, he even tells alyssa that he loves her in season 2 — was so lovely and so heartbreaking all at the same time. he’s messed up, but i’m proud of him. ❤️

i think the first season was actually fairly popular when it came out in 2017, but since i didn’t get into it until early 2019, pretty much all of its hype had died down by then. it lowkey sucked getting into something that pretty much everyone else had lost interest in, but it wasn’t too bad. i wish the second season had gotten a bit more attention, though. it definitely wasn’t as great as the first season imo, but it had its moments and i am so, so glad that it ended differently than the novel did. though, the novel was excellent as well! i just hate that james died in it lmao. both seasons left me feeling empty when they were over, but it’s an amazing series that i really can’t recommend enough. :’)

the only complaints i have about it are we never find out what happened to alyssa’s biological dad or the two cops that pursued james and alyssa in season 1, nor do we ever get to see alyssa’s stepdad get punched in the face. he was such a pos, and i wanted to see him get beat up so bad lmao.

Being Erica is one of my favorite shows, it's so good. It really awoke my interest for time travel media.

A lot of people didn't know about some of my favorite animes back in the day-- Urusei Yatsura, Macross, Ranma 1/2, Dr. Slump, Maison Ikkoku, The Laughing Salesman, etc. This isn't as obscure, but the light novels for Pita-Ten were almost as adorable as the original anime.
My husband is a huge Rumiko Takahashi fan and Ranma 1/2 is his favorite anime of all time. So of course he made me watch it with him. It was a lot of fun. I love classic anime.

Maybe these aren’t quite as obscure as some of the replies but I love Edward Woodward and he is most known for ‘The Equalizer’ and ‘Callan’ but I love him that little bit more in ‘The Bass Player and the Blonde’ a mini series. Also, Sir David Jason is known for ‘Only Fools and Horses’, but ‘A Sharp Intake of Breath’ is one of my favourites.

@Alienfish I’m British and I love ‘Keeping Up Appearances’, got the boxset and regularly watch the repeats. You’ve just got to love Onslow! :D ’Father Ted’ is great too, the episode with Pat Mustard is one of my favourites!

Last edited:
A lot of people didn't know about some of my favorite animes back in the day-- Urusei Yatsura, Macross, Ranma 1/2, Dr. Slump, Maison Ikkoku, The Laughing Salesman, etc. This isn't as obscure, but the light novels for Pita-Ten were almost as adorable as the original anime.
I haven't watched the anime for Maison Ikkoku but I read the manga when it was still published physically and I looove it. Ranma is awesome as well. (I am/was more of a manga reader than anime watcher with a few exceptions).

Back