• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Was Wild World Better Than City Folk?

Was WW Better Than CF?

• Total voters
Both have ups and downs. Wild world graphics are horrible, but i barley remember playing it, but I remember getting Rosie's picture and meeting one of my my best friends in animal crossing, Mathilda
City folk was awesome to me when I was 5 or six I think. I made lots of animal friends in that game, and I liked the music. My only beef with city folk was monty. I hate him in New leaf and city folk because he hurt my feelings, so 6 year old me sent him an angry letter 😆 and pitfalls and pushed him

i played both when i was really young and didn't really compare them, they seem pretty similar to me anyway

this isn't a bad thing though, i loved both games growing up and got a lot of enjoyment from them 💕

I think they were pretty much the same game tbh, the main thing that changed was the city which was cool as hell but apart from that, very similar games and at the same level in my opinion

I actually played Wild World first but preferred City Folk a lot more. I think the bigger town with tiers, the city, and the fact I could play on a TV made me like it more. Plus online was a lot easier to set up on my Wii.

However, I actually prefer WW's music because of the little muffle-y sounds, the house being bigger, and the dialogue.

Both games give me sooooo much nostalgia, I miss it so much.

I've never played City Folk (Tho I want to!) and Wild World was my first game I tried other than NL and NH. Wild World was beautiful and made me appreciate villagers like Chief and Goose, who are now two of my favorites. But yeah, I'd have to say Wild World on this one <3

I personally like City Folk better. I think it‘s the nostalgia. The city kind of fascinated me, it felt great to be there and listen to the music.

Eventhough Wild World was my introduction to Animal Crossing, I didn’t play it nearly as often as City Folk. Maybe because in City Folk I had the opportunity to play online with my cousins. Or because it was my first Wii game (the Wii is my favorite console).

City Folk has more going on in it than Wild World. Its so underrated because the city aspect is so good.

Wild World is much better than City Folk to me for several reasons, one of those reasons is definitely nostalgia, but:
  • City Folk is really where villager dialogue started to get bad. I know NL and NH have different issues with their dialogue but to me City Folk actually has the worst dialogue in the series. The conversations aren’t that long and repeat very frequently in my experience. While it still has some of the old weirdness/rudeness, it’s still very muted and not as funny as GC and not very well done compared to WW.
  • The map in WW is better. Yes, City Folk has a larger map and tiers (!) but it’s obnoxiously large. It’s just too large. While GameCube had big maps there were more details like shrubbery and more villager house slots that made it fun to walk around and it felt less slow due to the camera zipping between acres. Considering how flat it is, Wild World has a very reasonable map size which just makes it far better to play repeatedly than CF.
  • Grass deterioration.
  • City Folk is missing villager pics, which is a really simple but huge omission.
  • The City makes CF feel smaller because of how special visitors who would be more like an event in WW are consolidated there.
  • Wild World is portable.
As far as holidays go, I don’t find either of them interesting. I think the holidays aesthetically are pretty boring in City Folk and just still don‘t have the energy of GC holidays. However, WW was kind of mid with holidays. Some of them are charming, and some are so lame they’re charming, but some are just lame. None of them were great though, or felt very important beside the usual Holiday/new year’s stuff.

CF also loses points because being on a more powerful console they could have done more. I guess they got online as good as they could at the time but why are so many features missing and why is the map so barren?

The graphics are better in CF and hallelujah 60FPS (even if it’s just for a life sim, I appreciate it), although I have so much nostalgia for the crunchy res of WW I find it charming so I don’t mind its graphics anyway.

Some new features like the shopping card and some furniture were cool, but CF is honestly a worse version of WW to me.

Probably. I don't look at both games as "which game was better", but "which mainline AC is the worst one". Ultimately, my attachment to either game has just about all but diminished. Animal Crossing is quite a flawed series, but I think I can contribute a lot its issues to these two, and I've realized that whevever I play Wild World, it usually just takes talking to some villagers to see the cracks. With City Folk, all I need to do is just look at some patches of dirt from grass wear to realize what's wrong with the game, and it circles back to it trying to be an amalgamation of both the GC game, and Wild World (I still can't accept when people call WW and CF the same game when the differences between the two are obvious once you've actually played both of them), while pleasing no one in the end.

So, why do I think CF is worse? Here's a list:
  • Animal Tracks. Yes. Animal Tracks. One of the worst mechanics to ever taint the franchise.
  • Easily has the worst dialogue in the series, and while a good portion of it has to do with its writing/localization (Peppies and Jocks are flanderized beyond belief, here) most of it comes from how it's handled. It's not like the other AC games where they gave you the option to have a villager tell you something, or exit the interaction. This doesn't exist in CF, unless it involves a favor or an event of some sorts; even then, you aren't even given the option to just simply say "Nevermind." When you talk to a villager in CF, they automatically tell you something, then it ends. You don't get the choice to ask them to tell you anything, and speaking to them again will just have them recall what they just told you, so you can't gain anything else from them. This is especially bad because AC's dialogue works on RNG. Talk to a villager in any other AC game, then do that with this, and you'll fully understand the problem.
  • The decision to exchange made-up events with the real-world ones from GC was fine on paper, but some of them didn't translate well, and lost some of the energy they once had. Thanksgiving is boring now because we don't see villagers outside the Town Hall eating and laughing as they did in the first game near the Wishing Well. Halloween is gimped; it's nice that we can Trick-or-Treat, but why couldn't they make villagers move faster? They practically ran almost as fast as you did in the original game. Were they just too lazy to adjust their speed? And yeah, the events in WW were often bleh, but I think it's charming that this fictional world of anthropomorphic animals had its own events; I think a lot of these had the potential to be great if they were expanded upon in later games, instead of being replaced.
  • Is there any explanation why Villager Photos, B-Days, and additional Episodes with various Special NPCS were absent in CF? It's confusing because WW, NL, and NH allowed villagers to give you their photos, and had their own B-Day parties. No, having a bulletin posted saying, "Hey, Today's is this villager's birthday!" doesn't count. It's the most low-effort way of celebrating a birthday. CF only had one Episode that could only be played out once per character, and it existed solely to give some background on a then-new character, and not establishing the backstories of the characters who already lived in your town. What were they thinking? Why couldn't they just bring all the Episodes from the previous game?
  • WW's music pails in comparison to the original game, and even NL had a better, more varied OST, so the fact that they used it in this game just shows how lazy they were with this title.
  • The City, which is the game's selling point, is probably the most disappointing aspect of all, 'cause it's not even a freakin' city, dammit. It's way too small to be a city, and the only real thing worthwhile is how many Bells you plan on spending. It's a shopping district, which is exactly what Main Street is called in the JP version of New Leaf.
  • Oh, and remember in WW, villagers in boxes could be persuaded to stay in your town? Yeah, that doesn't happen in CF. They have to ping you, and even then, it's not even GUARANTEED they'll stay if you tell them so. Goodbye, Pearl... and Static... and Freya...
Wild World is also a game that I used to hold in high regard for its dialogue. I still agree to some extent that's it handled well for an Animal Crossing game, but it's still far below other games of the genre, and this was probably true back when it was new. Dialogue was never good in any of these games. Instead of Crankies just being standoffish and rude, they're re-categorized to be bullies with a whacky gimmick, and they wondered why they're hated (in-universe). Jocks were turned into meatheads that have 99% of their dialogue being about sports and such. Peppies were as obnoxious and entitled as ever, while being more ditzy than they were previously. The Nintendo Treehouse team obviously had no idea what to do with Snooties. Normals and Lazies are still the only villagers that actually want to be your friend, but their writing is also a bit iffy and nonsensical. Despite these issues, I think WW's writing wins based off the backstories that Special Characters like Tom Nook passed on to the player character. There's no reason to not have these in every other AC game. These Episodes represented the best character writing the series ever had, and it didn't even come from villagers, but the characters stationed by their jobs/roles.

Yes, it was better, but only because City Folk is like a worse version of both it and the GameCube version.

Last edited:
I strongly prefer Wild World of these two. I love the opening screen and just listening to it brings back memories. Nostalgia plays a huge factor in how I feel about this game. I loved the portability of Wild World, as well. It was like carrying my own virtual world with me.

I can't decide which is better.

Wild World
Pros
-You can play it anywhere
-Bad hair days didn't exist yet

Cons
-Slow frame rate
-All 4 player characters share one house

City Folk
Pros
-Looks nicer in comparison
-You can go to the city
-All 4 characters get separate houses

Cons
-Do you get tired of pointing your Wii remote at the screen? I sure do! Plugging in a nunchuck only gets rid of half of this.
-You have to play it on your TV

Lol, I'm bad at this. I need more.
I don't really remember this but I'd like to add that Wild World got rid of all the holidays but instead has unique things like "Yay Day", "La-Di-Day", etc. City Folk still has the normal Animal Crossing holidays. Whether that's good or bad depends on which ones you enjoy more.

Hmm.... I guess?? I personally like City Folk better but that is 100% just because it was my 2nd Animal Crossing game. I played City Folk a bit and I still love it so much and I consistently check on every few days unlike Wild World. I only played Wild World last year because I got it on Wii U Virtual Console because its a great price and I love my Wii U! Wild World has MUCH better dialogue. I hate the dialogue in City Folk.... It ends SO fast. I liked how the hobbies worked in Wild World. I didnt like how City Folk went back to three rooms instead of the full houses like in Wild World. The graphics on City Folk are soo pretty though. Truly Wild World is probably better than City Folk but I feel like both have their ups and downs making them quite equal.

Wild World was more revolutionary, and City Folk wasn't as "innovative", but City Folk is objectively a better game, in the same way that Pokémon Platinum introduced less new stuff than Diamond and Pearl, but was simply better because it was Diamond/Pearl but with more stuff, pretty much.
City Folk is like that, it's mostly recycled, but with nice stuff sprinkled on top that makes it bigger and better than Wild World, of which it's essentially a remake.

Back