• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is New Leaf's dialogue better than New Horizons?

Tommyputt

Mayor of Bertoko
Bells
Silver Mailbox
I always see this come up as a positive for New Leaf, and have been playing again recently on my old town. I remember playing New Leaf on release and at the time felt like the dialogue was actually a bit worse than Wild World and Gamecube, even playing it now I don't feel like it's actually that different to New Horizons, most people are still quippy with stereotype templates.

What do other people think? Am I just not talking to villagers enough to get to their more interesting dialogue, or have the villagers dialogue been pretty chirpy/predictable since New Leaf?

Yeah, going back, it's just as lame LOL. I get tutorial dialogue way more in NL too. WW and Gamecube still has the better dialogue.

Keep bouncing between new leaf and new horizons, and I will say the shop keepers and non villager characters do have more depth, find them saying something different, so there is that!

The only difference to me was that NH villagers always talked to you about your daily chores (digging fossils, hitting rocks) first then they’d say random stuff,, but those were daily chores so you’d get the same dialogue daily. New Leaf villagers didn’t have that, and they had more tasks to give you (also hide-n-seek). I also thought the personalities were better in New Leaf. Otherwise the dialogue in New Leaf is not much better than NH's.
When I first played New Leaf I loved my villagers though, mostly because it was my first AC game :,)

both new horizons and new leaf have bad dialogue in comparison to gamecube and wild world, but new horizons is objectively worse. the dialogue in nh feels a LOT more lifeless than new leaf, not to mention how disappointing the instances of nh villagers having one sentence of dialogue is.

both new horizons and new leaf have bad dialogue in comparison to gamecube and wild world, but new horizons is objectively worse. the dialogue in nh feels a LOT more lifeless than new leaf, not to mention how disappointing the instances of nh villagers having one sentence of dialogue is.
Is there a trick into getting more dialogue out of villagers? I always felt like when I had a good streak of talking every day more interesting things happened, but don’t know if that’s true or just in my head

Yes it is! NH dialogue feels hallow and like the villagers are constantly trying to massage the ego of the villager. I like a little sass.

I don't think it's that much better, especially not the constant tutorial dialogue. It's even annoying when visiting another town. Like, please stop telling me what the lockers at the train station are for. Nothing makes the villagers stop saying these things because they consider it to be some obscure advice when it isn't, especially not the 100th time.

In my opinion, not really. Both feel the same to me..
I like City Folk's dialogue though.

Yes it is! NH dialogue feels hallow and like the villagers are constantly trying to massage the ego of the villager. I like a little sass.
If you like a little sass, and haven’t tried the GameCube version, you’re going to love it!

maybe it's the nostalgia goggles and the fact that new leaf was the first game i properly played, but i like the dialogue in new leaf a lot more. i played a little bit of city folk but i don't remember much of it and i didn't own the copy i played on. i never owned a copy until super recently and have been waiting to have more time to play it, then i can maybe have something else to compare new leaf and new horizons to

Hmm I would not be too sure. I catch villagers reminding me of tutorials of how to play the game constantly. I will say they will tell you to do things for them more ofen which is a lot more noticable compared to New Horizions where they barely ask you to do anything for them. Most of them its just them saying "I would like a fruit" and "I want a Furniture for my home". Its not really all that interesting.

The dialogue in New Leaf is much better than the dialogue in New Horizons.

In New Leaf, the lazies don't constantly talk about bugs, and the crankies aren't their boring, extremely watered-down New Horizons selves, and had a lot more personality, compared to that game...

Still jumping between New Leaf and New Horizons this week, and got to say I think New Leaf is a bit better overall. God I'd love for them to do a Gamecube port to the switch... Would love to have the option to take that town with me on the go. After I've done all my daily chores, I like to just chill and chat with the town/soak in the vibes, and think the gamecube is the best for that.

New Leaf dialogue is still better to me than New Horizons for sure. I also agree that the older games were even better still though. Back when snooties and crankies were actually mean to you. Most modern things have gone soft imo.

I used to be so sure that the dialogue was better in New Leaf but recently when I was talking to some of my villagers, I noticed the dialogue was super repetitive -- I didn't even talk to them a whole lot and yet one villager repeated the exact same dialogue twice in a row! 😵‍💫

Well, it doesn't have as much annoying contextual dialogue as NH, and the villagers don't get mad when you talk to them twice in a row, so yeah NL is better in that regard.

I hadn't noticed villagers getting annoyed at me in NH, that would actually be quite nice! But agree with the contextual stuff, especially during seasonal events like easter...

I feel like the villager AI is significantly worse compared to New Leaf, which for me, also effects the dialogue. The villagers feel a lil less alive, and I barely talk to them lol

They're less like villagers and more like Pokemon to me :LOL:

Back