Was Wild World Better Than City Folk?

Was WW Better Than CF?

• Total voters
I'd say Wild World was better than City Folk, since I poured a bunch of time into Wild World and loved it so much, whereas with City Folk I got it but just couldn't get into it, since it just felt too similar to Wild World for me from the outset, and I never picked it up again after putting a few hours into it.

I found I could never really "click" with City Folk how I did with Wild World. Granted, I am biased by nostalgia as Wild World was my first, but I was 10 when City Folk came out and I was thrilled by all of the new features! Holidays! More shops! Gracie and Kicks! But in practice, City Folk felt a lot more.... lifeless? Than WW. More often than not my villagers would just.... stand there, not even at least walking around fishing or hunting bugs. They were always too far apart to interact, and the dialogue didn't really do anything for me either. When I was playing WW, I was pretty young so a lot went over my head, but even then my villagers still felt like people.

On a practical level, City Folk outshines Wild World in pretty much every way (save for animal tracks), but that doesn't really mean much when villagers, the heart of the gameplay, are so dull. As watered down as they are, I still even prefer New Leafs villagers to City Folk.

Yeah I agree with most that has been said here. I picked ‘both the same’ because City Folk did add a load of features that I hugely enjoyed. The holidays and such were sorely missed in Wild World but the villagers were the worst in the series. But the thing is, New Leaf kinda totally replaced City Folk and there’s no reason to go back. Whereas Wild World has the best villagers (along with the original game) but it’s handheld, so sometimes I still boot up wild world just to have a chat with my villagers and do some errands for them

In retrospective, both games have their positive and negative points. It's hard to tell which one of them I enjoyed more playing, so I'm gonna say I see them on the same level.

i liked city folk more but wild world is more memorable for me just because it was the first animal crossing game for me

I’m biased towards CF because 1. It was my first AC and 2. Nookingtons is NOT permanently walled off there. If I want a portable AC experience I’ll take NL (haven’t got a feel for NH outside of the house yet), and grass deterioration didn’t annoy me too much.

Having never played City Folk, I'll have to say Wild World.

Wild World was my introduction to Animal Crossing, and I won't ever forget it, and no matter what the improvements in future games in this series, none could match the charm of Wild World.

The villagers had a spark to them, and a more true to personality dialogue and wit.

I will always love Wild World.

Tis where I met Wolfgang. ^_^
WW is one of my faves for sure. I watched my friend play on the game cube but WW was my first game for myself so I agree.

While I prefer the higher quality soundtrack of City Folk, I liked to play Wild World more as a kid. Something about having to select certain things with the Wii remote just didn't work for me, and we never really got into the online experience. I preferred the overall gameplay experience of WW.

I liked WW better because it is handheld. I can’t play games on the tv for very long so I never really got into CF. I only played it around the same time every day, so couldn't catch most creatures and missed out on a lot of stuff. I like games that I can carry around and I’m not stuck in the same place all the time.

I’d have to say that Wild World was better than City Folk. For some reason, I never really got into City Folk and compared to Wild World, it just felt so.. lacklustre. The villagers seemed lifeless, and the new city just felt.. boring, after a while.

Yes, wild world had the best hobby system and CF had dialogue trees that made dialogue VERY repetitive. Each conversation with a villager each day would maybe have a few sentences at most and once they said them they kept repeating them again because it was the end of the dialogue tree.

In my opinion, they are both very similar. I do like Wild World more, though, as I prefer playing Animal Crossing on a handheld.

Also, I remember the dialogue in City Folk being much more repetitive and less interesting.

I played the heck out of WW, got super pumped for CF, but couldn't get into it as much because 1) it was too similar to WW 2) I had to use the family TV for it 3) villager interactions weren't as good.

If I was a new player I'm not sure how I would've felt. The villager interactions are amazing in WW but the graphics are hard to get past now and the events... left something to be desired

Out of curiosity, I decided to play a little bit of Wild World again. You really need to get past the terrible frame rate, but the villager interactions are still some of the best in the series.

I've always thought City Folk was better than Wild World...and this is coming from someone who poured their heart and soul into Wild World!

I LOVED having seperate houses! For someone that was forced to share a town with the rest of the family, I was BEYOND EXCITED when I found out I could have my own house to decorate (like back in the Gamecube days) and better yet! I could also choose the location. How cool was that??

I also LOVED the city. I still remember the first time I saw it. I was giddy with excitement, talking to every villager I saw and rushing into every building to see what had been added. I still remember how happy I was to see Shrunk had his own permanent location (I could never find him in Wild World) and that I could change the color of my shoes. Oh! And Labelle! I LOVED that shop. I would spend hours imagining what I would buy if only I could save up enough money.

I have very fond memories of City Folk and while Wild World holds more nostalgia for me, City Folk is still the game I turn to when I want a change of pace from New Horizons and New Leaf. It wasn't until much later when I discovered the Bell Tree Forums and the Animal Crossing subreddit that I realized how unpopular City Folk was, especially for those that had played earlier games.

Looking at it objectively, I can see why people felt like it should've been added to Wild World and not been a standalone game, but as it stands now, I think it trumps Wild World's portability factor with how much content there is. Even the cons, like constant grass decay, missing villager pictures, and limited dialogue isn't enough for me to return to Wild World over it.

from what I know, both games are pretty similar, minus the city/holidays in CF. I can't say I played CF very much, but I loved the addition of the city, and the music was incredible.

I spent countless hours playing WW, it's still one of my favourite games of all time, and maybe I'm biased from nostalgia and it being my first AC game, but I think it's better than CF. the town was much smaller and cosier and despite not having any huge events like Halloween or Toy Day, in many ways the mini events made up for it bc it gave the game a distinctive charm. I still play WW occasionally to this day, obviously not for hours like I play NH, but the lack of events is made up by meaningful, entertaining interactions with your villagers.
I also prefer the handheld element to WW.

city folk was I think my first ac game so I'm probably biased because I have more memories attached to it, and also stronger memories. I loved the city aspect of the game and even now i find myself looking back on it and missing it. I remember very little about WW because I only played it a little bit so for me it's just not as good but that's more down to my personal memories than actual gameplay comparison

For me, now contest- City Folk was VASTLY superior. The thing I most enjoyed in City Folk were the holidays. I'd TT back and forth between them constantly. Wild World had exactly one holiday. And it wasn't even a real holiday. I mean, don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it... but City Folk was a big step up in my mind. Plus, I also enjoyed the city itself. Wild World just didn't have enough stuff to keep me busy.

I went back to wild world and I take back what I said
Wild World is so much better
Brilliant dialogue, funny messages so many details
love the game

I’m surprised by all the Wild World votes. While I like the handheld format a lot better, and agree that the WW dialogue was a little bit wittier, I don’t think it outweighs having so much more space in your town AND the city. It still wasn’t nearly as bland as NL or NH (which I both love! For different reasons, though). Also, the graphics are, for obvious reasons, a ton better. Not a fan of the grass wear.

Back