• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life 🐮🐔

Chris

Staff
Senior Moderator
Bells
Island
Vylbrand
White Rose
White Rose
Golden Watering Can
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
logo.png

The remake of Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life, originally on the Gamecube, came out June 27th 2023 on PS5, Xbox Series X, and Nintendo Switch. I remember there was some hype about this on TBT when it was first announced so I'm surprised to see no one currently talking about it!

Has anyone picked it up yet or is interested in doing so? :D

I originally received a Gamecube and AWL for my 13th birthday, so the story isn't new to me, but this will be a nice nostalgia trip. I downloaded it on PS5 yesterday and played for five hours straight in the evening. I'm about to start summer, Yr 1 and so far have one cow and one chicken. Currently wooing Cecilia, Molly, and Nami because I'm not sure who I'm interested in - although I'm leaning towards Molly. I married Cecilia in the Gamecube version.

I've played A Wonserful Life and Another Womderful Life a lot in the past. On release, I was reluctant to purchase the Story of Seasons remake as I was hearing some mixed things (namely performance issues with the Steam version,) but I purchased the Switch version and it runs beautifully. The physical copy of the game includes a nice introduction/instruction booklet, too, which you don't see often (if ever) anymore. It was a nice touch.

So far, I love the game. It's a nice throwback, and the quality of life improvements are (mostly) great additions. When I saw there was an additional trail near the top of the waterfall so you didn't have to travel all the way up/down to get between the dig site and forest, my mouth dropped.

Controls feel natural, graphics are beautiful for the valley, and I feel at home with the game. It's actually a relaxing experience compared to modern farming sims which I feel always try to do too many things.

I'm currently on summer 5 of year one. I have two sheep, one cow, horse, and I just bought a chicken.

I'm focusing mostly on befriending everyone, fishing, and getting a variety of crops.

There are a few hiccups (e.g.: I couldn't pick up an herb growing on my farm with the watering can equipped, and I sometimes feel a slight delay in movement when using the pro controller,) but they don't impact the overall experience at all.

I'm so happy this got a remake! 🥰

I was also wondering when someone was going to start a thread about this! I was so hyped for so long to play but the release date ended up exactly coinciding with my start date at work so I haven't had as much time to play as I'd hoped. I actually never played the original so this is a whole new experience for me - i'm loving it so far but definitely still getting into the groove of things. i'm just about to start summer and still deciding who i'm going to romance, too many good options!

I've been enjoying it so far. I'm already on spring year 2 and Cecilia and I got married. You gotta get married by year 2 apparently so I gave her a gift everyday. The seasons go by fast but it stayed true to the gamecube version. It's slower pace then other SOS games but it's peaceful. Now I wish they would remake Magical Melody from the gamecube.

I haven’t had much time to play yet so I’m still in spring year 1 but I like it so far! It’s very nostalgic and I like the visual/gameplay improvements. I’m hoping I’ll be able to put some more time into it today!

When I saw there was an additional trail near the top of the waterfall so you didn't have to travel all the way up/down to get between the dig site and forest, my mouth dropped.
I was in the excavation site when I saw your post. Immediately went outside to try and find this damn thing. I had recognised that area was shallower but didn't clock I could walk across it. 🤦‍♂️

I was in the excavation site when I saw your post. Immediately went outside to try and find this damn thing. I had recognised that area was shallower but didn't clock I could walk across it. 🤦‍♂️
It didn't click for me either at first because I was so used to going around. I thought it was just a new fishing spot. 😂

I have played Another Wonderful Life when it was on the gamecube and shared it with my sister and thought it was a lot of fun. I never thought other games I've tried lived up to this one, but I always thought this one deserved a remake. So in other words, I am very happy this finally happened!

I'm still in the first year but I think I am going to have my character be with Cecilia. Still unsure, but she's in the lead. She seems great.

Also, do some crops (other than the trees I guess?) grow again after harvesting them the first time? I don't remember if it does or does not, but I've had plants disappear after harvesting. Maybe I'm thinking it's just like Stardew Valley and most games now a day.

i picked up my copy (or rather had it delivered lol) on tuesday. i’m finding the gameplay a little slow and repetitive (at least during the first year), but i’m enjoying it so far! it’s been a nice way for me to spend my free time this past week, and i’m having fun taking care of my animals; they are my pride and joy, and i’ve got 4 chickens (with a fertilized egg in the incubator), 2 sheep, 2 cows (with my first calf otw!), and a horse! 🩷 i’m nearing the end of winter year 1, and i’ll be proposing to cecilia soon so that the marriage police takakura doesn’t come banging down my door haha

i never played the original and haven’t played a farming simulator game since one of the 3ds harvest moon ones years ago, so i’ve spent a good chunk of my gameplay so far just getting used to the mechanics, the valley’s layout, the characters etc. it took me at least a couple of days to start remembering the townsfolk’s names, and i’ve just started being able to get around without having to pull up the map every 5 seconds LOL. i’ve mostly just been focusing on the animals, crops, woo’ing cecilia, befriending the characters that’ll give me the most useful stuff (takakura, daryl, lou), and ofc making money during chapter one, but i’m having a good time. the graphics are beautiful, some of the character interactions and cutscenes have been hilarious, and i’m excited to see what year 2 will bring!

the only complaint i really have is with the dig-site. i like carter and flora, and i like the money i earn from the trinkets i dig up, but the digging feels so tedious and slow compared to how fast time passes. it might be because i suck lol, but with the dig-site not opening until 10am and there being 12 spots i gotta dig through, a big chunk of my day is already gone by the time i get out of there. carter and flora also keep getting in the way, and for some reason if one of them stands next to the spot i’m digging in, i can’t dig in it anymore and i have to move on to another one until they move 🫠 i’m not looking forward to it expanding; i either need the animation to speed up a little, or for time to slow down lol
IMG_1762.jpeg
IMG_1763.jpeg
IMG_1764.jpeg
phonto.jpeg
phonto.jpeg
IMG_1770.jpeg
IMG_1771.jpeg
IMG_1772.jpeg

I don’t have this game, but I played the original on the Gamecube and loved it. I liked the fact that you could have a dog, and I was sad you couldn’t pick both the floppy and pointy eared puppies. The soundtrack was also nice. I remember playing just to listen to the music, haha.

I was curious if this game was anything like the first one. I didn’t want to get it and be disappointed. I’d be open to giving it a try.

I don’t have this game, but I played the original on the Gamecube and loved it. I liked the fact that you could have a dog, and I was sad you couldn’t pick both the floppy and pointy eared puppies. The soundtrack was also nice. I remember playing just to listen to the music, haha.

I was curious if this game was anything like the first one. I didn’t want to get it and be disappointed. I’d be open to giving it a try.
There are modern updates to the game, but overall the base and spirit of the game is there :)

Now in autumn of year two! Still enjoying the game and its pace. Thank goodness for the larger field. I also just bought the processing room for that cheese and butter goodness. 🥰

One of the things I appreciate about this game that none of the other farming games seem to do is that the seasons change over time. I start to notice the fall colors later in summer rather than the full change the day the seasons do. I've been using the in-game camera and enjoying it more than I thought I would.

i've just stared year 2 (i married gordy ♥️) ! it's so nostalgic to me as a big fan of the original and i appreciate all of the quality of life improvements they've made! in saying that though if i hadn't played the original i'm not sure how much i'd enjoy it.

there was something really different about the original that no other faming sim could provide, it was really melancholic and kind of dark and weird, they've kind of removed that in my opinion, still fun tho

I haven't played the original or any older titles (other than the Friends of Mineral Town remake).
Can't wait to pick this game up. :)

i've just stared year 2 (i married gordy ♥️) ! it's so nostalgic to me as a big fan of the original and i appreciate all of the quality of life improvements they've made! in saying that though if i hadn't played the original i'm not sure how much i'd enjoy it.

there was something really different about the original that no other faming sim could provide, it was really melancholic and kind of dark and weird, they've kind of removed that in my opinion, still fun tho
Yay! Congratulations. I've been working on my friendship with Gordy. He's deep in thought every time I see him, so I usually have to wait around with a gift in hand ready for when he starts walking lol.

Totally agree on the atmosphere. There are still hints of it from the original (especially in winter of year one when you get *that* cutscene, and Gary in year two,) but the valley seems to be a much warmer place now in comparison.

I haven't played the original or any older titles (other than the Friends of Mineral Town remake).
Can't wait to pick this game up. :)
Hope you enjoy it! It's slow paced but rewarding. :)

I'm on Chapter Three and utterly obsessed with the game. I think I'm enjoying it more now than I did 20 years ago. I ended up marrying Molly (although Rock almost swayed me). I've all four varieties of cow, three sheep, three goats, six chickens, and two ducks and I have bred all second-generation crop types.

I have one issue though. My daughter has an uncanny resemblance to @Mistreil's OC. She's quite the little artist, too. 🤔

F1obHHaX0AAoQqY.jpeg

F1mAbukWwAA9CGM (1).jpeg

F14qpLjXoAA41YS (1).jpeg

And as per my tradition in HM/SoS games...

F0mRJosWcAA6m_r.jpeg

I'm on currently on year 3. My character married Cecilia and we have a daughter named Lilia.
My favorite thing is showing everything to her and she how she reacts.

I currently have:
1 Horse:
4 Female Cows (1 of each kind)
X Sheep

I don't remember the count, but the rest will be sheep as I still have a few spots left.
I'm still unsure about goats. I have not yet needed them and I'm not sure if I will. Does anyone have any good experiences with goats?

As for hybrids, I am not really focusing on them unless I need it for a task. I like keeping my farming simple. The two plots next to the house are all fruit trees and the third plot is my main plot to farm.

And for names, literally whatever the first name comes to mind.

Back