• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Renn's Fingerpaint Art! 👉👈

It's been almost 24 hours since I saw your drawing of Pag-asa and the Honda S2000 for the first time and it still brings a huge smile to my face. 😄 What an interesting story you have there, and it's great that you're pushing yourself to expand your art skills further! Oh, and that train advent calendar is awesome. It must've taken a lot of effort to make it look good.

I dunno why I didn't visit this thread much sooner, but I should definitely stay tuned for more whenever you post some new stuff. :)
I’m happy to welcome you here lol! There is a certain shyness of people when visiting threads in the museum, but from my end, I swear I’m not selling anything and I’m just super grateful that my work makes you happy. 😊

We interrupt your regularly scheduled Museum activity (babe wake up, Blink is back!) for Renn's art journal.
No really, sorry, this is for me to track my progress but also to help anyone else trying to figure out this mystery that is art.

Normally, when I start commissions, I dive right into sketching. I have noticed, though, that my understanding of light and shadow is pretty weak (or even if I know where they belong, I am lost at the coloring stage and things get muddled). A technique I've learned from my hours of YouTube Artist consumption is to draw in grayscale first. (Or if ProCreate had a built in grayscale mode button, that would be a huge game-changer to allow for the value* check as the piece progresses.)

*Value, in art terms, is how dark or light something is. It helps a lot to differentiate elements when you don't want to rely solely on lineart.

For my latest comm, there wasn't a defined scene / pose / story. I had character refs, but it was open ended, so I tried this grayscale thumbnailing technique:

1672897707438.png

Why are thumbnails in grayscale useful?
  • They help you plan the composition,
  • they help to plan the lighting / mood
  • they are quicker than sketches (sometimes)
  • they are low-stakes enough to where I don't get bogged down by details
  • they present information quickly to the customer
  • useful for landscapes / scenes (which I love doing; I love it when people request backgrounds even though it's more work)
Anyway, this is my first time trying this and I already think it's pretty cool and I'm excited to see how it turns out. New year, new knowledge. ^_^v

I attempted something new!

I want my art to be more painterly, and to rely less on lineart. I spent a good few months trying to perfect my lineart, only to realize that it made me hate coloring and it was just too restricting-- I am a terrible planner and I feel like my art needs room for change during the process at any point.
I am fairly proud of the nose and lips, but I definitely need help drawing better eyes. I'm not sure why they turn out so janky, lol. I even used the symmetry tool at one point, but they still looked crazy. UGH. Scrapped those crazy robot eyes...

Here is the final result and the original DTIYS by Bo Feng Lin.

Bofenglinxpaperlike70.png

BoFengLinOriginal.png

OMG guys, have you ever fiddled with GRADIENT MAPS? It's a thing in digital art that reassigns colors to your image based on the values (dark and light areas)... I think.
1673841645986.png

I was practicing portraits and attempted the Neon gradient map after I finished shading and dannnng doesn't she look cool?
I've been wanting to make more attractive faces and portraits, so this was just a fun side project to improve my art. The character (Riko) belongs to my first IRL commissioner.
I was planning to open a thread to make these sketchy portraits / busts of people's OC's, but I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested other than me. I should be responsible and attack my ping list, but this was just so much fun and I love the result. :geek:

I didn't have a clear understanding of my piece at the sketch phase, so I blocked in some shapes and color moods first; after getting some feedback from other artists, I think I have something I can work on to submit to the art challenge I'm working on!

It's basically "monks with mechs" -- I had trouble conveying the scale of the giant statues / robots in the courtyard of the mountaintop monastery. I really want my art to have better story-telling, and this "key art" challenge (where you make one image to kind of explain a whole story) is perfect practice.

I also didn't find a good reference for the pose of the foreground monk, so I used this online poser tool called Magic Poser. You can change the pose, body type, light direction, etc. It's great!

1676779449452.png

Last edited:
I stepped away from my tablet for a month (after almost 2 years of daily sketching) and hooboy, I felt completely rusty trying to bumble my way through some art.

Before my hiatus, I completed a DTIYS:
1680298805136.png

Human reference:
1680299236671.png

Challenge Reference:
1680298755775.png

And then I made an attempt at more action poses and somehow completed this pretty cool gift for Nyx (so many great OCs to work with sheeeeeeesh).
1680298937689.png

I had to censor this to post here, but I am fairly happy with how this offsite commission turned out.
The OC is a golden skinned cat goddess named Miyuki:

i found a face reference that I really loved and tried to reverse image search to find the original artist… the plus side is I found the image creator; the minus side is that he is an AI artist 😩 who takes commissions off of photos you provide, too 😫
I wish I knew the artist he was modeling after in his AI query, so I could go support them, but therein lies the issue: there is no person I could find as the source and they are probably having their art fed into the engine without any credit.

So today, I decided it was time to go look at real people again. In art. As in, try to use a realistic reference to make some art. Nothing wrong with anime, I just want to expand my horizons.

I also attempt to revisit the gradient map coloring method. Here is the progression of the piece for @lunatepic of their OC:

Sketch

Grayscale

Colorized with soft brushes

Final product-ish with color correction and some post-processing:

The next time I practice, I'm going to choose something with a complete reference, because most of this is from my brain and I am clearly not well-versed in painting regular people. (Don't stare at the cross-eyed eyes too closely. Or that hand. Yikes!)
I think I am not skilled enough in the process to enjoy gradient map coloring, yet. I've also heard from renowned artist Marco Bucci, that separating the two steps (value vs. color) can actually be quite hindering to the creative process.

Speedpaint of this attempt, for future reference:

Trying to kick myself out of an art block when I discovered tanalieku on insta / YT. They make portraits using only the brush pen and I figured… why not give it a shot? ONE BRUSH CHALLENGE, HOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Featuring Link and Zelda from the upcoming TOTK game:
IMG_0172.png

Disclaimer: Although I only used the Brush Pen (found under the Calligraphy category in Procreate), I also made use of non-brush tools like blend, liquify, and lasso/select. I also used Hue / Saturation / Brightness adjustments.

Last edited:
It's ok to fail.
This applies not just in art, but in life, too. You have to forgive yourself and learn from your mistakes.
I tried something new and realized that I didn't understand what I was doing, and that I would have to investigate further, or try something less ambitious to complete the project in my mind.

My goal was to make an animation, but I wanted to try vector art because vector art would never get pixelated no matter how you resized it. In frame-by-frame animation, you draw each frame and then display them in order at a high enough speed that it looks like it's moving, but to have a smooth animation, you have to draw frames in between the key frames to ease in the transition. Something that started as 4 frames could easily double into 8 or more, which means redrawing or adjusting parts of the artwork, which can be difficult if you have everything on few layers or in my case, don't understand the program well enough to adjust pieces without things blowing up.

In vector art, you are drawing shapes, not lines or gradients. It's kind of hard to explain, but here is the result of my first attempt:

That's four frames that took a couple of days and lots of frustration, lol. There's not even a background in there, and my vector program did not offer animation assistance in any way. I had to stitch the images together externally to check them.

I don't like giving up. It feels bad to quit things. But sometimes it's better to recognize that starting over is better.

Eventually, after many more drafts, I went back to drawing in raster (not in vector shapes), which is my usual medium.
The final result looks something like this:

It is 6 frames, but some frames are repeated, for a total of 20 frames looping in the animation. While I am reasonably satisfied with the result, the difficult part is in trying to compress the image to 2MB or lower so it can be used as an avatar. If TBT could just allow for offsite linking of profile images, that would help a lot, but currently pfp images have to be uploaded and be less than 2MB to function. /shrug

Mick pointed out that gifs are limited to a 256 color palette, which explains why gradients and shading do not appear how I expected at all. I think next time, I will stick to cel shading (with no gradients and have just solid shadows), or maybe even attempt pixel art. It was an adventure that certainly drained most of my art stamina, lol.

Last edited:
It is absolutely okay to fail! It may not have turned out how you expected but I just wanted to say massive respect for trying new things. Even if it ended up being too ambitious, you'll get it next time! I feel like we both learned a lot from that whole journey.

Also I could definitely tell that the dead ends must have been incredibly tiring, so I'm impressed that you persisted as long as you did. 🏆

Tada! Presenting: my entry for the Celebrating Diversity 2023 event. The version above is what I meant to submit, but I accidentally sent in one where Frita had a darker jean jacket that blended in more with the background. Ah well, I'm still very satisfied with how this came out.

I wanted to talk about the villagers I chose and the dishes and outfits I planned for them. I didn't want to put all this info in my main entry and clutter up my message. If you glance at the speedpaint, you'll see I started with taking notes on villagers and what I might dress them in and what dishes I might serve them:

I thought I knew the roster well, but I had trouble thinking up more than 4 "ethnic" villagers that I could associate with different regions of the world. I basically sat on villagerdb and paged through their database.

Margie popped in my head first. I was craving Indian food anyway. Most of the restaurants near me serve either Nepalese or South Indian cuisine, so I'm not familiar with anything that comes in between. I'm sure what I've eaten is fairly Americanized, but my Indian co-workers like to vouch for the authenticity of some places. I have Margie in a Sari dress and with a few bangles. I considered adding facial jewelry, but nothing I considered seemed natural or looked right, so I kept her bare-faced. I have her poised with some samosas, a 3-tier tiffin with some lovely curries and sauces, and a hot pot of chai. I love chana masala (a sort of chickpea curry) and could probably go vegetarian easily with the support of Indian cuisine.

I am ethnically Cantonese-Vietnamese, which means I am pretty familiar with some of the things that Tiansheng might eat of he's from southern China. I opted to serve him soup dumplings (one of my faves!), egg rolls, and a big bowl of noodles. I modeled the bowls after Chinese Ming dynasty porcelain bowls. Many Asian households have a set or something inspired by this era. If I was rich, I would totally collect dishes and plates and bowls, etc.

Cousteau, I learned from the Nookipedia entry, is not actually French-themed in the Japanese version of Animal Crossing. But in the Western version of the game, he is Gallicized (made French), probably referring to the frog legs in French cuisine. I'm not bothered by eating frog legs or snails, btw; they are just food that have been normalized somewhere else. I was worried about having him be too stereotypical, so I looked up the history of the beret and the striped shirt; there are red berets originating from a specific region of France, but they're not otherwise commonly worn. For his French foods, I served ratatouille, croissants, and he's holding a flute of champagne.

June is vaguely Polynesian. She is wearing a grass skirt over some hidden fabric, but only a grassy necklace instead of a floral lei. I think it's a missed opportunity, and now wish I had given her a lei garland or some sort of top, instead of letting her go topless like in the historical depiction I found. Oh well. She has a leaf tray featuring a variety of goodies: pineapple, poi, roasted meat, taro... I really need to visit Hawaii or another island again. I feel so landlocked here in the middle of Texas. My mother's bloodline has lived next to the beach for generations, so alas...

Genji already had the Japanese name and I was overconfident that I knew enough to handle his Japanese origins. He is dressed in a vague approximation of a hakama inspired by his default Misty tee. I have him holding an onigiri and there is a sushi tray before him. I considered adding another tea set to the table, but... I didn't know what made a Japanese tea set significant or unique from other tea sets, so I left it off since the chai pot was already by Margie. If I could only pick one cuisine for the rest of my life, I would probably go for Japanese.

Frita, my darling. After Ketchup, Frita is my favorite villager and the first uchi I ever encountered. Her hot dog shirt cracks me up, and the word play on frites (French fries) and her hamburger headgear... I just love the food villagers. She's my American gal. I find Americans represented by hamburgers all the time in foreign media. I love her clicking those tongs. I also placed some sodas on the table, though carbonated drinks were not invented in the states-- but the global brand Coca Cola originated in Atlanta exactly a century before I was born. The real struggle was figuring out what to have Frita wear. I once visited a mural in Asia with kids in the national garb of different countries, and the kid representing America was in a cowboy outfit with a bunch of frills. I definitely did not want that on Frita.
Originally, I had her wear the progressive pride flag, but I didn't want to be seen as pandering. I believe in accepting our differences, and that love is love, but I am a very plain, hetero, neuro-regular gal-- so I can hardly be considered the spokesperson for the cause.
1686922339944.png

I did recall that riveted jeans were invented for California miners by Levi Strauss and Co. -- something that led to modern denim fashion today. It was hard to find something that was 100% American (I mean, truly, that is the case for everything, as this country is a melting pot of so many wonderful cultures and history), but I figured denim fashion would be the closest thing to a national costume.

Boone and Ankha are in the background-- not because I have anything against Africa! I just have very little exposure and knowledge surrounding that area and its cuisines.
I learned that Boone is not actually a Baboon, but something called a Mandrill. The wiki shows that the Mandrill population is concentrated in west Africa, and so I quickly googled traditional attire and cuisine in that area. My search could be faulty, so I'm happy to be corrected by anyone with better knowledge. Boone is wearing a dashiki and holding a plate of jollof rice (something I've always wanted to try eating). I wish there was African cuisine nearby.

Ankha's costume is based more on ancient linen robes worn by women. She has a plate of Egyptian street food called ful medames, which is mashed fava beans served with other typical Mediterranean sides like hummus and tomatoes.

Artistically, there are a lot of things I would still like to fix on this piece (particularly the lineart and some of the missing details), but I had to make the deadline. You might've noticed in the speedpaint that the first sketch had them sitting horizontally, but I wanted to have a more dynamic view. The composition has the angle of the table and the grouping of villagers flowing toward Frita-- which was not a conscious choice. I guess I just love Frita that much! The only real consideration I had for positioning the villagers was that I knew I had to separate Genji from Margie because they would be large sections of white against a mostly colored background and other colorful villagers. I was concerned that there would be too much yellow with Cousteau / Frita / Ankha, so I changed the green background to an evening blue for better contrast.

I appreciate that you've made it through this wall of text-- it really just demonstrates that amount of thought / effort that goes into this kind of piece. There have been so many thoughtful entries in this contest, and I am a little sad that spending so much time means my entry was later and will probably go unnoticed, but I am very proud of this result and if my printer was working, I think it would make a lovely postcard. Ahhh ok, I better stop blathering before the mods get flagged for spam or something, lol.

So my art buddy @Aquilla found this fun challenge where two artists each paint half of an image. We were also both deeply obsessed with TOTK for a while, and we decided to challenge ourselves in coloring the same piece just to see the results.

There were only two rules:
  • Use the same base sketch (provided by Aquilla) for continuity
  • Assume the light source was coming from the top right
We didn't plan anything else at all-- not what scenery to have or what level of definition or how much time to spend... not even what time of day or what kind of light source to use.

Starting point: I just love her clean sketches:

And the results!

My half:

Aquilla's half:

And what they look like side-by-side:

And then, of course, Aquilla went above and beyond by blending them together a little more:

My thoughts on the results:
  • Surprises: the fact that we landed on pretty much the same iris color, despite not defining any such color rules. Also, I love that we both incorporated the sketch directly into the painting.
  • What I love about Aquilla's work: I love her color choices-- I am personally not capable of thinking in pastels or rainbow, but I recognize that the more pink tone in the skin is so lovely and the extra coloring on the lines makes it so vibrant. And speaking of lines, good lord, look how much work she does lining everything! Even the individual hair, at times. It's fantastical!
  • What I liked about my work: I have been trying to go more painterly, so I resisted the urge to do any lineart. I couldn't 100% avoid it, but... hahahha. I'm also proud of my color choices. My favorite part of my side is the glow on the ear-- the "ambient occlusion" light to make it seem almost translucent by the surrounding light. Also, not really noticeable, is the little tear I snuck into the corner.
  • What I need to improve or what I would change: I need to commit to my shadows more. I have all the same values on my side, and I never really noticed. I also need to focus more on hair... I see a lot of flaws on my work, but I don't want to list them all here. lol
Overall it was fun and really cool to see what we can make! A good learning experience.

Last edited:
So my art buddy @Aquilla found this fun challenge where two artists each paint half of an image. We were also both deeply obsessed with TOTK for a while, and we decided to challenge ourselves in coloring the same piece just to see the results.

There were only two rules:
  • Use the same base sketch (provided by Aquilla) for continuity
  • Assume the light source was coming from the top right
We didn't plan anything else at all-- not what scenery to have or what level of definition or how much time to spend... not even what time of day or what kind of light source to use.

Starting point: I just love her clean sketches:

And the results!

My half:

Aquilla's half:

And what they look like side-by-side:

And then, of course, Aquilla went above and beyond by blending them together a little more:

My thoughts on the results:
  • Surprises: the fact that we landed on pretty much the same iris color, despite not defining any such color rules. Also, I love that we both incorporated the sketch directly into the painting.
  • What I love about Aquilla's work: I love her color choices-- I am personally not capable of thinking in pastels or rainbow, but I recognize that the more pink tone in the skin is so lovely and the extra coloring on the lines makes it so vibrant. And speaking of lines, good lord, look how much work she does lining everything! Even the individual hair, at times. It's fantastical!
  • What I liked about my work: I have been trying to go more painterly, so I resisted the urge to do any lineart. I couldn't 100% avoid it, but... hahahha. I'm also proud of my color choices. My favorite part of my side is the glow on the ear-- the "ambient occlusion" light to make it seem almost translucent by the surrounding light. Also, not really noticeable, is the little tear I snuck into the corner.
  • What I need to improve or what I would change: I need to commit to my shadows more. I have all the same values on my side, and I never really noticed. I also need to focus more on hair... I see a lot of flaws on my work, but I don't want to list them all here. lol
Overall it was fun and really cool to see what we can make! A good learning experience.
Oh my gosh, you are both so talented. 😭 It's so interesting to see your works side by side! They are stunning. 😍✨✨

Kinda taking a TBT detox right now, but I wanted to archive my Space Camp art before I forget.

My animated pfp, used as the base model for the pop up shop:

The UFO used in the chain for that one event (permission was given by Mistreil to use her OC's likeness):

For some reason, this earned me the rainbow moon; the camp was so intense, I didn't realize there was a voting system in place for the UFO sighting event, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Space whale flag:

Pixel art passport, that took FOR-EV-ER:

The derpfish, though I can't really say enough effort was made into the ART of this entry, but I was really proud of the poem I knocked out to describe it:

And the last minute pixel sig that I whipped up, hoping to animate it, but I just ran out of art stamina:

PHEW. What a great time! I honestly think the scavenger was my favorite, though everyone and their mom already explained why the event was so controversial and how much strife there was; I hope they keep it as an event in the future and fix up the format a bit.

I think my art skills have deteriorated quite a bit, so I will have to figure out how to make something I can be proud of again...

What was the poem?

Beautiful art, as always. And I love the pixel art, you're good at so many different kinds of art!

The Derpy Fish Constellation
Gather 'round, young fries, and heed the tale
of a blundering fish and his fanciful flail
so short were his fins, yet wide was his maw
swim straight he could not-- with extreme roll, pitch, and yaw

Spiraling in the water, mouth often agape
gathering sustenance while also daring to escape
his predators he confused, with his nonsensical motions
not once was he bitten across all earthly oceans

To the gods' delight, he lived long 'nough to be feared
in sailors' nets, they found him grotesque and weird
thrown back to the waves, from dusk to dawn
his mythos grew, igniting pubs in song

The trickster god found him, before the bear god could
and bid him swim night skies, not bake on plank wood
'tis better to mind him, and learn from his fate
swim wild, eat well, and your life we'll celebrate

I found this parable among the scrolls of the Ichthyologians. It describes one of their many fish-based constellations, the Derpy Fish constellation. I fail to see how a 24-star constellation would've been much use in navigation, but the story is great fun and brought a smile to my face.

Dump of stuff (this is what I have been up to when I'm not on TBT):

More head studies:

A DTIYS of this cool cloud princess character:

A fanart of Queen Sonia from TOTK (I'm hoping to make this a set of 4 for printing, one for Sonia / Zelda / Rauru / Link, but I'm not sure it's good enough for printing yet):

And I couldn't sleep last night, so I had some fun painting a realistic version of my AC rep:

I have a lot to improve on, and feeling a little lost, but my goal is to build a big enough catalog or following to table at a local anime convention next year. I've always wanted to try it, but I have to approve of my own art before I dare to show it to people for their hard earned dollars, plus it's a significant investment on my end as well.

Last edited:
Back