• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Renn's Fingerpaint Art! 👉👈

HOLD UP!!! This is absolutely stunning Renn! I haven’t had a browse through your art thread in a hot minute, so my socks? Knocked clean off my feet. My jaw? Unhinged. Your art has evolved so much! You are incredible! And most of all I admire your unwavering creativity. Somehow you always pull a new ace out of NOWHERE queen and you always have me thinking „wait… that’s such a great idea 🤯”! Gimme some of that! I can only pray to be half as creative and innovative as you are one day.
YOU HOLD UP!!
Everything you make is so lovely, even your quick sketches; such cozy happy feelings come from your art. I admire you and can't wait to see what amazing things will come from your future! I'm also absolutely tickled by your enthusiasm. This is such a huge self-esteem boost to wake up to. 🤩💪
Thanks for taking the time to view my art; it means so much to even receive a few little reactions and keeps me going.
Post automatically merged:

ah i just came to say ur works are incredible! :D all of them look great and very creative. :]
OH MY GOODNESS
Thank you so much; this is such a great start to my day and I am so grateful for your positive words. 🙏😊

Just so I don't end up spamming the museum with my studies, I'm going to post my progress and thoughts on the 100 heads challenge here. I've been doing them in batches of 5 instead of the 10 to start. It's possible I'm going about it wrong by taking too much time on them, but I like to think that as long as I'm learning something, there's no wrong way to go about it.
References here: https://www.pinterest.com.au/mackenziejo64/
After the first 5 heads, I started linking the final images as individual thumbnails, so you can click and see a large version if you're curious. ^_^

Heads 1-5: Made in CSP using my Huion tablet that I'm not really used to. Default brushes only (colored pencil, soft airbrush , blend).
1663996291023-png.461476

Heads 6-10: Fiddled around in Procreate and decided I liked using the Jingsketch Free Brush - "Clean Sketch" and "Round Blend" the most.
Also learned that that collar bones are much higher than I thought. And that the chin isn't as long as I thought (since the lips are pretty plump on real faces compared to the single line I use on anime faces).

References:

Heads 11-15: Ok, I think I'm taking too long on these. Maybe that's why it's suggested to do 10 daily to force you into making quick decisions and not rendering anything. Dark skin with light hair was such a challenge, but I think I like #13 the most! #14 looks angry rather than stoic, and 15 seems to be disgusted instead of relaxed. It's all in the eyebrows and mouth, I guess.

I will get back to this, I promise to myself, because it was incredibly helpful in learning and observing new things.

Last edited:
I decided to film a tutorial for fun. It's actually not all that helpful and has suddenly loud music in the middle, oops. But it was a fun first try at some video editing and trying to convey information.

This is the final product:

I made this in collaboration with @Foreverfox and I'm enjoying toying with animation a lot this month.
If anyone is interested in seeing the final set of frames (13), here they are:

Untitled-Artwork-12.png

Made another "real life person as a Splatoon Inkling" -- Dave Navarro for @/Chris

Reference vs. Sketch vs. Final
2015-voodoo-music-arts-experience-day-2.webp

I tried something new regarding my process: no lineart!
You'll notice in the sketch that I also did some pre-emptive shading. In my attempt to go more painterly, I've been reviewing the process of artists that paint directly on their sketches:

I'm reasonably satisfied with the result... but I obviously have more cleaning up to do. :)

I was helping @/That Marshal Fangirl animate their adorable pixel art yesterday. Look at this amazing masterpiece!

We went through 6-7 drafts together to get to that point. It was a labor of love, that's for sure.
Even before I started animating their base drawing, I realized belatedly that ProCreate does not have built-in pixel art tools. There are no square brushes, and the grid function under their Drawing Assist tools can only adjust for size, but not location of the grid lines... it's mildly infuriating. (I did try to use the PixilArt website, which is the source of the original drawing, but the tools there kept crashing my browser, and the app had some negative reviews).

Long story short, I made my own square-tip pixel art brush that you can adjust to change the "pixel size" you are working with. Feel free to download and explore (for use in ProCreate only) -- for free, $0, of course.

Sorry I had to stick it in my Ko-Fi shop just to have a place to distribute it without dealing with email and dead links... I swear I don't track info on this.

LMK if you have questions or comments. I'm suddenly obsessed with pixel art...

Last edited:
I added a summary of my art gear and brushes and stuff and added it to the main / first post:
This is a section describing the gear I use and general (digital) art process things. I will try to update it as I grow.
Hardware:
  • iPad 8th Generation
  • Apple Pencil, 1st Generation
Accessories:
  • Paperlike Screen Protector
  • Apple Pencil Grips / Case
Software: Procreate 5.2.9

Brushes (all free or defaults in Procreate):
  • Sketching: Jingsketch "Clean Sketch" - very responsive and does what I want it to
  • Lineart:
    • Liliyth's "Roundbrush Fine - Smooth Line" for the faded lineart / painterly look
    • Liliyth's "Outline Structured" for a textured crayon-like outline
    • ProCreate's Inking - "Technical Pen" with max stability for anime style cel-shaded art
  • Coloring:
    • Base Color: Procreate's Inking - "Studio Pen" at Max Stability
    • Shading / Painterly coloring: Jingsketch "Round Render"
  • Pixel Art: I made a square tip brush to use with the Drawing Assist grid mode
As always, it's the artist and not the brush that is important... but sometimes it really helps to have tools that execute what you have in mind, hehe.

I was helping @/That Marshal Fangirl animate their adorable pixel art yesterday. Look at this amazing masterpiece!

We went through 6-7 drafts together to get to that point. It was a labor of love, that's for sure.
Even before I started animating their base drawing, I realized belatedly that ProCreate does not have built-in pixel art tools. There are no square brushes, and the grid function under their Drawing Assist tools can only adjust for size, but not location of the grid lines... it's mildly infuriating. (I did try to use the PixilArt website, which is the source of the original drawing, but the tools there kept crashing my browser, and the app had some negative reviews).

Long story short, I made my own square-tip pixel art brush that you can adjust to change the "pixel size" you are working with. Feel free to download and explore (for use in ProCreate only) -- for free, $0, of course.

Sorry I had to stick it in my Ko-Fi shop just to have a place to distribute it without dealing with email and dead links... I swear I don't track info on this.

LMK if you have questions or comments. I'm suddenly obsessed with pixel art...
I love that you made your own pixel brush! That's super cool! Pixel art is so cute and can be highly detailed!
Do you remember back in the day those websites that had their layouts strictly pixel art styled? Those were adorable.

I finished a commission for someone's OC today! (Click to embiggen)

1667878182703.png

Reference:

Speedpaint:

This commission was particularly meaningful for me because it was my first off-site RLC "hey I found you through another social media (ToyHouse) and would like to hire you" request. All of my customers before had been from TBT or from my local university art club.
I don't really spend much time / effort updating my social media accounts, but it's thrilling to know that my art caught someone's attention organically. I am so proud!

Big thanks to @Amilee for crediting me on this image:
otherwise, she wouldn't have found me. 😍🥰😘

I finished a commission for someone's OC today! (Click to embiggen)

View attachment 468364
Reference:

Speedpaint:

This commission was particularly meaningful for me because it was my first off-site RLC "hey I found you through another social media (ToyHouse) and would like to hire you" request. All of my customers before had been from TBT or from my local university art club.
I don't really spend much time / effort updating my social media accounts, but it's thrilling to know that my art caught someone's attention organically. I am so proud!

Big thanks to @Amilee for crediting me on this image:
otherwise, she wouldn't have found me. 😍🥰😘
aww yay im glad it helped! you def deserve more attention and commissions!! 😊💜

I was in a rare coffee mood this morning, and just super excited to draw Brewster for some reason. I really don't enjoy drinking coffee, but I love the smell-- maybe time for a coffee scented candle?

this is dedicated to @/themysterybidder who is always so generous with me

Oh my gorbs, I'm finally done with it.

I mean, I could keep fixing stuff (don't look at her shoes ACK), but there's only so much a person can take of self torture.
20 hours and 14 minutes... one of my longest efforts.
I made this for a DTIYS contest because I love the vibe; I think designing OC's is so cool, but I just don't have the story-teller voice in me (right now). The speedpaint doesn't show how agonizing the coloring process is. I really need to work on my clarity, and even if I understand the light source, I feel like my color choices are still rather weak.
Despite all that complaining, I am still very proud of how this came out! I do see improvement in some of my anatomy and hair shapes.

Last edited:

Another year, but am I any wiser? Maybe in a few areas, here in there.
I think as one gains experience, it becomes more obvious how high the mountain peak really is. I can tell where I am struggling in my art.

Things I think I improved on this year:
  • ANATOMY
  • composition
  • line quality
Things I want to work on next year (tagging @Aquilla - here are my art goals? lol):
  • Rendering / clarity, so things aren't a blurry mess (gotta make fewer lines and make them count, too)
  • Hair shapes
  • Anthros
Bonus goals I want to hit next year:
  • Make an "about the artist" summary image
  • Make some actual OC's
  • Storyboard my dream webcomic project (just dive in!)
  • Clean up my ko-fi shop and make an actual banner / profile image; Unify my social media accounts (not that artsy, I know)
  • Paint that Sailor Moon DTIYS meme
I started off wanting to gain enough skills to make cool fanart... but I have been too scared to create my own IP. I just need to be bold and push forward.

Also, I know I've said it before, but it's always good to reiterate: thank you for the encouragement. This goes to you, every person here, who has reacted to my art, messaged me about it, art traded, or even commissioned my work. An artist's journey can be lonely, and just having this forum as a place to express myself without feeling judged or like I'm screaming into the void of the internet... it's such a comfort. MANY THANKS!

Edit: for funsies, here's my 2021 art summary from last year. :)

Last edited:
Okay but how did you go from the hair you did in January to the Mona Lisa tier hair you did in April like?? 😭
You've improved so much this year @jadetine and your art never fails to make me smile, I want to wish you the best of luck on your art journey and let you know you will always have wonderful friends and forum members to support you! 🖤

Another year, but am I any wiser? Maybe in a few areas, here in there.
I think as one gains experience, it becomes more obvious how high the mountain peak really is. I can tell where I am struggling in my art.

Things I think I improved on this year:
  • ANATOMY
  • composition
  • line quality
Things I want to work on next year (tagging @Aquilla - here are my art goals? lol):
  • Rendering / clarity, so things aren't a blurry mess (gotta make fewer lines and make them count, too)
  • Hair shapes
  • Anthros
Bonus goals I want to hit next year:
  • Make an "about the artist" summary image
  • Make some actual OC's
  • Storyboard my dream webcomic project (just dive in!)
  • Clean up my ko-fi shop and make an actual banner / profile image; Unify my social media accounts (not that artsy, I know)
  • Paint that Sailor Moon DTIYS meme
I started off wanting to gain enough skills to make cool fanart... but I have been too scared to create my own IP. I just need to be bold and push forward.

Also, I know I've said it before, but it's always good to reiterate: thank you for the encouragement. This goes to you, every person here, who has reacted to my art, messaged me about it, art traded, or even commissioned my work. An artist's journey can be lonely, and just having this forum as a place to express myself without feeling judged or like I'm screaming into the void of the internet... it's such a comfort. MANY THANKS!
It's been a glorious year of art for you Renn! Your work is always stunning and inspiring. ✨💖

Holiday art attack, huah! 🥷
I have been waiting to post all of these in one go, so I don't clutter the Museum with my stuff.

Here's a larger version of my winter avatar. I consider re-using the one I had animated from last year, but I think it's a good sign that I was dissatisfied with it -- my art is growing and I'm moving on!
Winter2022.png

Here's a gift for my dear friend Roxxy, who I would've made an art present for without the Dino plushie anyway, but I am constantly reminded of her generosity every time I look at my inventory (there are so many collectible gifts there). I was trying for a wintry Christmas Caroler version of her AC persona.

Here's the two versions of my part of the 2022 Secret Santa Art Exchange for Shellzilla_515, featuring their AC OC Pag-asa:

I had never drawn a car before, so I guess I can kinda sorta check that off my list? I will have to practice; inorganic things take so much more thought than I expected. Funny story, my parents are mechanical and electrical engineers by trade and I grew up hanging out at their drafting tables (this is back before CAD programs were accessible). I have inherited almost none of their mechanical intuition.

Here's a photo of my toddler checking the advent calendar I made for the TBT Holiday contest, only to be disappointed because she already looted those days. 🤣 I had to withhold the daily prizes until the actual day of distribution because there's no stopping these children.

I wouldn't have guessed you never drew a car before, it looks great! I love that you made a Christmas version and a regular version. Even stuck those car antlers on it and everything. XD

And the advent train is adorable, such a clever concept, and so cutely executed. ^_^

I have been waiting to post all of these in one go, so I don't clutter the Museum with my stuff.

Here's a larger version of my winter avatar. I consider re-using the one I had animated from last year, but I think it's a good sign that I was dissatisfied with it -- my art is growing and I'm moving on!
View attachment 474203

Here's a gift for my dear friend Roxxy, who I would've made an art present for without the Dino plushie anyway, but I am constantly reminded of her generosity every time I look at my inventory (there are so many collectible gifts there). I was trying for a wintry Christmas Caroler version of her AC persona.

Here's the two versions of my part of the 2022 Secret Santa Art Exchange for Shellzilla_515, featuring their AC OC Pag-asa:

I had never drawn a car before, so I guess I can kinda sorta check that off my list? I will have to practice; inorganic things take so much more thought than I expected. Funny story, my parents are mechanical and electrical engineers by trade and I grew up hanging out at their drafting tables (this is back before CAD programs were accessible). I have inherited almost none of their mechanical intuition.

Here's a photo of my toddler checking the advent calendar I made for the TBT Holiday contest, only to be disappointed because she already looted those days. 🤣 I had to withhold the daily prizes until the actual day of distribution because there's no stopping these children.
your artistic creativity and talent never fails to amaze me. 🤩 your and roxxy’s avatars are so, so stunning, and your advent calendar entry is one of my faves! so magnificent!! 💜

View attachment 474203

It's been almost 24 hours since I saw your drawing of Pag-asa and the Honda S2000 for the first time and it still brings a huge smile to my face. 😄 What an interesting story you have there, and it's great that you're pushing yourself to expand your art skills further! Oh, and that train advent calendar is awesome. It must've taken a lot of effort to make it look good.

I dunno why I didn't visit this thread much sooner, but I should definitely stay tuned for more whenever you post some new stuff. :)

Back