racial preferences in dating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any preferences in dating. I met very cute black girl on one dating website recently and I really like her. I'm glad that I found reviews about hookup sites on Hookupmasters. We haven't met in person yet but I really like her. We communicate via webcam mostly, but I'm going to meet her in person soon.

Last edited:
I don't believe it to be racist, no. People have personal preferences and that's fine.

When it comes to dating, I don’t tend to have a preference in race. I don’t find it racist to have a preference. However, you can have a preference and not be rude about it. You can’t just say “oh I don’t date black people” but you can just not pursue those types of relationships. The first thing just comes across as racist.

Reactions: Neb
People can choose to date or not date with someone else for whatever reason, but I don't see why someone would limit their options just based on skin tone unless they have a conscious or unconscious bias. It's not going to help you find a "better" partner, so it's better to keep an open mind because you never know how things will turn out.

Not racist at all. They're just preferences; like having a favorite flavor of certain food. As long as it's not the only factor of who you end up with, in my opinion. The bottom line should be how they treat you and how you truly feel about them.

Reactions: Neb
I am on the aro-ace spectrum, and I am exclusively attracted to fictional characters. I feel like, for myself, claiming to have a preference is a bit of a stretch, I just crush on whoever my brain chooses. But I have had a crush on African American characters before even though I am White. ^^

I don't think it's racist either. Everybody has their preference. It's the same as haircolor, in my opinion.
Just don't hurt somebodys feeling by acting like you want to be with them and then reject them because of their color 🤷‍♀️

i also think it's all about preferences. i personnally don't have any preference, i just try to avoid white people because i don't like white gays.
too many of them, at least where i live, turn out to be far-right and/or racist and very snobbish. or maybe it's just my internalized homophobia trying to tell me something 🧐 that or i try to avoid people that look like me because i am, in fact, a white gay.

yeah it's bizarre. i'm very glad i don't have to rationalize racial preferences to myself because i guess you could argue it doesn't make someone a racist, but i'm not sure what to call having a racial preference which inherently assumes a feature set you associate with a skin color you're less attracted to

rule of thumb, if you find that you wouldn't be comfortable telling someone outside your, um, preference what your preferences are in public...

maybe you're just iffy on people that have a certain skin color for some reason

i swear that came out wrong. really.

Yes, it is racist to have a racial preference when it comes to dating. I don't have to expand on the statement because it's not debatable.

I don't know if it's racist...but, I think it's kind of a weird thing to begin with.

Those feelings should come from a genuine place. Therefore, you should just be open to feeling that way when it comes. Having a preference towards one race or another feels like too much deliberate planning, and not actually falling for a person, tbh. I mean...I think it's one thing to say "I generally don't feel this way towards this type of person"...but it's another to set in your mind that it's your "preference", and intentionally avoid one type of person or another. I think that if it's an observation that you're making (saying "I usually don't feel this way")...then it isn't racist. But, when you make it intentional, then it might be.

i think it depends on if its the main thing you focus on or not

Rarely do I find people attractive but when I do it’s always white men. I’m not sure if that’s coincidence or not.

If you outright state in a dating profile something like I don't like X, why are you doing that?

It is really rude to outright say to someone sorry I don't want to date you because you are some specific race. It makes this sense of a hierarchy, which honestly is kind of racist. No need to make the environment hostile to others.

You are attracted to who you are, you can tell people you aren't interested and you don't have to justify it. I would evaluate if you think you don't like specific people for a subconscious reason that you blanket apply to everyone of a race, but it can be hard to narrow down. We have all kind of been conditioned to have specific beauty standards, that not everyone can fit in, and I really don't like people who put things they dislike on their profiles, I find that so negative, and literally no exceptions regardless of how great someone is in so many other ways?

Short version, having a preference is natural, nothing you can really do. What you do about it though that is when you can get racist.

I don't see it being racist or bad unless you are putting other races down or saying that they're unattractive just because you prefer a specific race. For me I think that I've always been drawn to a variety of different guys and it usually is White, Hispanic (my race), or Asian men. Not because I look for only those specific races, but I just naturally am attracted to men who end up being one of those races. I guess maybe it's also similar qualities that they might have in common too. I hope that makes sense. :>

Im pretty sure some people forget the entire world is not America.. a ton of countries are just one race... cultural things like that have a huge impact

As long as you aren’t dating or rejecting people purely on their race I don’t think preferences are necessarily a problem. Personally I have none. I’ve found people of every race attractive at least once.

I’m white and I found myself attracted to people of color more than once. I think I vibe more with black people because they’re assertive and I’m just not. It’s like balance. I had it happen where I’d get an aggressive customer at work, and I couldn’t handle it but then a coworker would stand up for me and take over. I don’t think it has to do with skin color but more to do with personality.

Never been an issue for me. I've never had a "type". I don't know why that is, cos it seemed to be a perfectly natural thing for most people. I married outside of my race, though I also divorced him. Was never based on his looks or race though, it was cos he became abusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back