• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!

racial preferences in dating

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont think its bad either. though it's probably better not to say "i dont love u because you're x race" if you dont want them calling you racist.

Preferences are fine!
Racial ones are not! If I said "oh, I don't like being friends with black guys," that would be generalizing and offensive; so why is saying "oh, I don't like dating black guys" ever treated as something different?

I'd say it's only racist if the reason you WON'T date someone is because they are or aren't a member of a certain race.

No. But my ex openly and randomly told me that if i was black he wouldnt date me because he would be afraid that if we had a kid it would come out weird. Theres a reason why hes my ex

Looking back on this now.......its extremely weird to even have a "racial preference"

Last edited:
I don't have a preference, I am open to anyone. Personality and values matter the most. But, I have noticed that I tend to gravitate towards people who look like me, im mixed race (white and latina) and have dark hair, eyes, and more olive tone skin, and in the past people I've been attracted to have been other "people of color"

Last edited:
Is it racist to have racial/ethnic preferences when dating? I know a lot of people who say they don't want to date black people et cetera.

I personally don't like white guys 90 percent of the time, and prefer guys who are Hispanic like me or some other minority.

I'm honestly not sure how to feel about this subject because I know some people who have been told straight up "Oh I don't like x guys" which is rude as ****. I also think it's weird how close minded some people are about it, saying they would never feel attracted to a certain type of person.

But, do you know there are a lot of White Hispanics? Actually most Hispanics in the US identify as white.

It comes across as really fishy to me when people won't date people of a certain race. It's sort of hard to believe someone would write off an entire race and not be relying on stereotypes at all. Even if it really does come down to just looks, most races have a pretty diverse range of features that they can have and don't all just look the same across the entirety of that race, so writing off a whole group of people for that reason doesn't seem right. Plus, I think it's important to acknowledge that if you have a dating preference that means you don't want to date groups that are oppressed, it's not entirely unthinkable that your "preference" is brainwashing from a bigoted society than your actual natural preferences.

I don't think I really have a preference, but is it weird that I have to admit that I'm partial to Korean girls?

I don't really have a preference myself. I've dated people of various races and with vastly different physical features. But I wouldn't think someone was racist just because they had a preference for a certain race. I would view it the same way as if they had a preference for red hair or something. I think it only starts to cross the line towards racism when someone says they won't date a person because of their race.

I wouldn’t single out any race, to me race doesn’t matter. It’s just that I always find myself attracted to Asian guys. I don’t know, it’s just they look so good-looking imo. I remember also liking black guys too, there was this one Guyanese boy that would always talk to me (and always be sitting infront of me in every class coincidentally) and I actually had a crush on him for a while. Till I met an Asian guy, whom I hadn’t noticed staring at me all throughout the year until I got a class with him. My friends all thought he was into me but I was too scared to go up to him lmao. It’s okay, when school comes up in a couple months I’m gonna see him again anyway. Hopefully he doesn’t have a girlfriend by then haha

Last edited:
I've only dated white guys but that's just because they are the most in my life. I'm really attracted to super dark guys so if there were more in my area i'd definitely would have dated them more. I'm in a releationship now.. And I'm a straight girl.
I could never date a redhead because i'm just not attracted to them.

Preferences are fine!
Racial ones are not! If I said "oh, I don't like being friends with black guys," that would be generalizing and offensive; so why is saying "oh, I don't like dating black guys" ever treated as something different?

Preferences don't mean "I ONLY do this", just that you're more likely or unlikely to like something. Clue is in the name, it's "prefer" not "absolutely won't/will". We all have preferences for everything, whether we realise it or not.

Saying you have a preference for or against "black guys" is only racist if your reasoning behind it is racist. I myself am not that into that ethnicity because they tend to have certin traits and features I don't personally find very attractive...But I would still date somebody of that ethnicity because not everybody has those features and there are people of that ethnicity I think are ridiculously attractive. Whether or not they have those 'traits and features' also isn't a deal breaker, it's just probably not what's going to attract me to them.

I'm pretty sure most people will show a 'trend' that points towards a preference, regardless of whether or not they like to admit it and part of that will also be based on race. If I look at all the people I've dated, they're all short brunette caucasian girls. I don't conciously make an effort only to date that description, it just so happens to be that's what I've been attracted to, even when they've had dyed hair it turns out their natural colour has been brown.

Likewise I have a preference for not dating overweight people, meanwhile I'm currently in a relationship with somebody overweight. Am I a fat shamer or not, because your logic would say that I am but the evidence would say otherwise. The same applies to race.

this thread is juicy lmao
i have a preference, but it's only because of things that have happened to me as a child.
but i would definitely date someone of that non-preffered race because i know not everybody fits into the mold of the stereotypes given to certain races.
it's a cruel world we live in, so as long as we treat each other right, it shouldn't matter to me <3

Theres no problem with racial preferences in dating, I know for myself that I can't help I'm romantically attracted to a specific race, but flat out saying you don't like xxx race is straight up rude, offensive and you sound like an idiot. Some of my friends are like "I would never date a [xxx race] guy" which is beyond me. Just don't say anything about the race you don't prefer...

- - - Post Merge - - -

Looks fade anyways

I find it is racist but unintentionally. I wouldn't call someone with a "preference" racist to them, but its based off of what society considers beautiful/attractive and when we grow up with that societal mindset advertised all over the place, we are conditioned to finding it more attractive even though other groups of humans completely biologically lack those traits.
The black woman has historically been constantly put down for her afro-like hair and dark skin while caucasian hair and light skin has been considered beautiful and ideal in US society causing black women to wear wigs, to put chemicals in her natural hair to relax it, etc., just to conform to society beauty standards. In online dating, black women face a disproportionately low match rate than any race. That's racism caused by what society has conditioned us to view as what's "attractive".
This is big in many other countries, even big in India, where most of the Bollywood actors/actresses are fair skinned and society says thats beautiful. Many Indian men will choose women who are fair skinned than those who are not if given the choice. It's society that is conditioning your thoughts. So yeah..in a way it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: meo
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back