• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Opinions on happy home designer?

KittyBoton

Bells
Tasty Cake
Cake
Orange (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
I often see people who love animal crossing saying they think happy home designer is awful and a sell out installment in the series.... I don't understand this, so many people LOVE designing houses in AC. Even villager's homes, which are so hard to design because they aren't really meant to design. so you'd think a whole game about designing homes for AC wouldn't be so scrutinized upon. How do you all feel? I personally love it and I feel like it was a neat experiment and LOVE that they've given us new furniture and a new way to decorate that is much easier all because of happy home.

Never played it and I don't think I'd personally enjoy it, but I don't consider a 'sell-out' game from Nintendo. They just wanted to give us something Animal Crossing related for us to play.

Never played it and I don't think I'd personally enjoy it, but I don't consider a 'sell-out' game from Nintendo. They just wanted to give us something Animal Crossing related for us to play.

I think it's nice they've given us other animal crossing like games, while they hopefully work on a new game for the switch >3>

I've bought it twice, then cancelled at the last minute after reading certain things are no longer available.. but I STILL want to give it a shot.

I love designing houses.

I loved it but it got very boring very quickly, and I can see why others didn't enjoy it. The Animal Crossing series has never really seen a spin-off series, and this was their first attempt at doing so. I've grown up with Pokemon so I've seen countless spin-off titles in my life, so when I saw HHD get revealed I knew exactly what it was, but others... not so much. I remember it got revealed in a Nintendo Direct on April 1st, so many people thought it was a main series game, the others thought it was an April Fool's joke... It was a very strange time.

Other than that, I really wanted the gorgeous set to decorate a house with, but I could never find freaking freaking Tiffany, and I can not tell you how many times I reset for her to appear! So in the end I just stopped playing. They could have spent a little more time making an insensitive to play the game, more rewards, an actual space of your own to design, villagers actually caring about how you designed their homes etc... but it was a really great first effort.

It's an alright game, but I hate that you have to spend play coins to unlock certain features. Let me unlock this stuff by designing houses, not by shaking my 3DS endlessly. (I'm not going to actually walk for something so stupid.)

I personally enjoyed HHD, but I can totally see why some would dislike it. It can get boring after awhile, and also the exclusive features (such as amiibo compatibility) were a bit annoying as I only had a regular 3DS and no amiibo card reader :(

I enjoy it, but it can get somewhat repetitive. It was fun to unlock the buildings and see certain villagers, but I play it in small gulps, rather than marathon sessions.

To really make it fulfilling, you do need amiibo cards and a reader, to unlock some of the more interesting furniture. Now that I'm able to do that, I want to go back to some of the first homes I designed, as well as buildings, and tweak them a bit.

I liked it, but with the WA update to New Leaf it made the game kinda not needed anymore sine people collected the cards and you can basically do the same thing in NL now that you can get all the HHD items more or less.

I personally love the game! I do see how people would be disappointed though if they weren't into or didn't care about interior design and expected gameplay from the original Animal Crossing games or not having that much challenge to it as well as getting boring for them quickly. I view this as a great addition to the series as a spin-off and an overall very relaxing game!

I've been into building houses and designing how they look inside and out since I've played another life simulator The Sims and I love building the residences for the animals as well as where they work or relax. If I would've had this game when I was a kid, I would've been hooked as this is something I would've really enjoyed to be part of the Animal Crossing series! I think it's awesome how it gives you the creative freedom to experiment and show your creative skills through the game.

I also really enjoy talking to the animals too and seeing what kind of roles they take on in the town as well as scanning in characters you own via amiibo to certain roles around town or being a guest to another animal's house. My favorite thing to do is to see my animal friends sing along to their favorite song using a microphone, so cute!

I do wish they had an update for the Welcome Amiibo cards as just scanning them in would crash the game. I want to design Maddie's house that came from DLC years back but doing so would probably crash the game. :(

I "finished" the game in 4 days, but it was good, I still have some houses to design but the themes are so bad and they sound ugly so no thanks.

I ordered it yesterday, along with the amiibo card reader since I have the oldest 3DS. I see a lot of both positive and negative reactions so I’m reaaaally curious now. ^^

This game is like a see-saw. You're interested on one day and get bored of it the next. You can always see some popular houses, you can get inspiration from them. Just don't feel bad from them.

I ordered it yesterday, along with the amiibo card reader since I have the oldest 3DS. I see a lot of both positive and negative reactions so I’m reaaaally curious now. ^^
I got the game for a few days now, and I have to admit that it gets kinda boring at some point. It is indeed a game to play once in a while, and not for too long in one go. I really like the idea of the game though.

Last edited:
I love the game, I got addicted ever since the first 3 days of playing it. Whenever I get bored from animal crossing new leaf I play Happy Home Designer because it is a real time killer when I'm bored.

I like it as a time filler when I don't feel like ACNL or don't have anything I want to do in my town. I would like to be able to design my own house without having to get the right furniture and such like in ACNl but really like designing houses for my favorite villagers and series favourites

I played it when it was first released, but then got a little bored of it. I think it was just the repetition of designing houses with not much else to do. I recently went back to the game and redesigned the buildings in the town. I have to admit I found it a lot of fun. It's something I go back to now and again but I do enjoy it.

For me it's the sort of game to play in short bursts as it can get old rather quickly. I really enjoy interior design in Animal Crossing, but when your game is only interior design? There's just not much else to do once you get tired of it.

It's by no means a bad game, but it could barely compete with anything in the main series. I'm pretty sure New Leaf is cheaper right now so when you factor in cost, you're paying more for a lot less.

Back