• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Rodney divided.

ShawnFuzz

In Colorado, under my cats rule.
Bells
Apple (Fruit)
Tasty Cake
Purple Violet
Sweet Balloon
Purple Bunny Balloon
Orange Balloon
Blue Balloon
Yellow Balloon
j543hrmcnwb81.jpg

I would like to know what you all think of Rodney? It's probably been discussed before so apologies if I am repeating a conversation.

I designed his home on Happy Home Paradise, and fell in love with the little guy. I loved the dopey eyes especially and his goofy grin.

I was shocked to do a Google search and find there are thousands of people on Reddit who, not only don't like him, but HATE him and feel the need to join a group that is solely against him.

In a way, this makes me want him on my island as a resident even more.

Do you all think he is the worst too? Or do you like him, like I do? I guess maybe I have a tendency towards the unloved.

P.S. I am not good at attaching images, so once I tap "post thread", the image may not be right.

I like him. He's one of the better hamsters, but I say that as someone that doesn't really care for the species. I mostly just like his colors. You can't go wrong with purple, blue, or both.

He's not my favorite design (I tend to be less positive about the villagers who are sort of "human-looking"), but as someone who also loves the unloved villagers--anteaters, gorillas, mice, hippos, cows/bulls, etc.--I would never hate on any of the villagers! I feel like the whole fun of Animal Crossing is having these weird little animal strangers move into your town, and you have a first impression of them, and over time you develop a relationship with them based mostly on RNG and projection, and you either end up feeling really differently about them or doubling down really hard on your initial feeling. I strongly disagree with people who think every single villager should be cutesy and pastel. The whole point is variety, having enough difference between villagers that your imagination has something to work with. I honestly think if anybody loved every single villager that the game would lose much of its charm.

I think I remember seeing the subreddit you’re talking about. I thought some of it was funny at first, but it sucks if you actually like the villager and all you see is hate for them.
Personally I don’t think I would hate Rodney if I had him on my town, he looks silly and hamsters are hard to hate. I also tend to like some unloved villagers, mostly because they stayed on my town for long enough and I grew attached to them.

400072367_700058522088499_3867659330786562309_n.jpg

I've always liked villagers that have a fun kind of weirdness to them.Villagers like Tabby,Jambette,Beardo and of course,Rodney have that weirdness.Rodney is one of the funniest villagers I have and he's also one of the funniest looking villagers I have so naturally,he's on my island.

Rodney's weird enough to keep me interested and cute enough for me to keep him around. Plus I know the feeling of having randoms just hating on you for existing. I loved having him, and as soon as I get the photos I'm looking for, I'll be glad to have him back on my island.

I hated him from the moment he showed up on my island as my mandatory Smug, though that was before I even knew that other people hated him. He showed up with a beer (soda) can in hand and was incredibly condenscending, but I had to recruit him anyway. My sister pointed out that he was probably subconciously reminding me of a character from another game. I had my character marry him because I felt bad for him and then instantly regretted it as he lazed around, talking about alcohol, while I did all of the work.

I wondered before if maybe I just didn't like Smugs, but I've since recruited Lionel, and I get along with him just fine.

Last edited:
I think his look is definitely unique and he stands apart from the generic cutesy style. I find his coloration very random and reminds me of a 90s cartoon which is cool. Hamsters are funny little things (I have one on my island), but I think it's his eyes. I like the shape of them but his iris/pupils are a bit dead/dull. It just kind makes him a little off-putting for me.
However, I'd love to see his other expressions: angry, shocked, sad etc. Like in Nunnafinga's screenshot, he looks really cute there.

He’s actually kind of cute. I don’t think he’s my favorite, but it’s not fair that he gets read for being sleepy and having freckles. A lot of us can relate.

What I remember of Rodney was a silly thread here (in The Woods section, which isn't viewable right now) and that actually made me kinda like him. I haven't really had much experience with him in-game besides making his house in Happy Home Paradise.

I never had a chance to have Rodney on my island, but I do think he's adorable. He's better then Graham for me, and I had Graham.

I like his goofy adorable face, with his big smile and *chill* expression. Maybe in the future I'll get the pleasure of having him.

He's my archnemesis ever since he clowned and made an absolute fool of me in ACNL.

I’ve never been the biggest fan of him, but I wouldn’t go as far as to say that I hate or even dislike him. More-so indifferent, I guess. I don’t care for most smug villagers, and I don’t really like his design. I like the teal/pink colour combo he’s got going on, though! His toothy smile is cute as well!

He looks like the kid from Monster House.
IMG_5476.png

Great, I can’t unsee it now 😂

Rodney is very cute and has the music hobby. I love Music.He also has the favorite color Pink which is one of my favorite colors. I thought he would be a Lazy villager just by his eyes but he is a Smug.I also love the song he plays in his house called K.K. Rockabilly.His catchphrase makes me think he's Italian.

I like him. I tend to prefer villagers who have a bit of originality or quirkiness in their designs.

I have never had Rodney as a villager(he was in my campsite once but I didn't have any open slots). He's kinda cute.

I think he’s cute. :)
He was a villager I really wanted for a moment in time? But then I didn’t really enjoy him as much as I thought I would. I guess I can see why people wouldn’t like him, but I think he’s pretty cute. I like his color scheme.

Back