• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Opinions on happy home designer?

I love HHD, it really helped me experiment with designing and get an eye for layouts and stuff. I also like being able to interact with all the villagers and having little house parties. Since it really just has the one main focus, I can see how people might not like it, or get bored with it. I think mostly though, people got angry because it's not a mainline AC game and assumed it meant they weren't working on a new mainline game.

Every time I order it, I read something negative, and end up cancelling.

I still think I'd enjoy it.

If you've ever played The Sims, this might be a little helpful.

If you're the type of Sims player who spends hours building and perfecting your lots, HHD is probably for you.

If you're the type of player who just selects one of the default houses and gets right to playing, HHD may not be for you.

Last edited:
If you've ever played The Sims, this might be a little helpful.

If you're the type of Sims player who spends hours building and perfecting your lots, HHD is probably for you.

If you're the type of player who just selects one of the default houses and gets right to playing, HHD may not be for you.

I've played The Sims Castaway on DS years ago, and it was the worst game I have ever played.

I like it but I don't play it as much as NL, I think it's better for playing in short bits of time. It is very different and I like that it is but I can see why someone would feel disappointed.

I like it a lot! I think it's very cute and Lottie is definitely an adorable addition to the franchise. As many people have said, it's not something you can exactly power through, it kinda drains the creativity out of you if you design too many houses consecutively. I think it's very convenient if you're having trouble designing your interior in ACNL though, bc then you can kinda experiment and see how things would turn out without worrying about spending too many bells.

i love! i could go hours playing designer :D i always spent hours as a little kid redoing my doll houses but now with cute animals? uh, YAY! plus i have julians amiibo, cant wait to test it out<33

Each house feels like more of a hassle because I'm not too good with design >.<

I love it, but I enjoy designing homes. I've also used it as a way to help design homes for friends of mine who don't like designing their own rooms. :p

But that's just me.

I bought “Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer” on the date it was released in the United States—[Friday,] September 25, 2015.

I played it for about a couple months and then returned to playing “New Leaf.” Afterward, my game-playing of “Happy Home Designer” have been in the way of recurring revisitations. I have no timing of it. It’s just a once in a while thing. In fact, I played it a couple days ago. But, I don’t recall the previous time I played. So, most recently, I decorated for Cranky squirrel Ricky.

What occurs to me, while decorating, is the same thing over and over again: Meet the requirements of a given villager but make that villager’s house also be functional. I do the initial design, yes, but I return to make sure that villager gets three rooms so he or she also has a kitchen and a bedroom/bathroom. It’s funny. I actually care to take care of them. I tell myself, ”Don’t you dare fail to not give that villager access to a kitchen, a bathroom, and a bedroom!” I typically combine the bedroom and bathroom for the second level. Depending on what I have going on the main level, there have been many instances in which I used the basement for the kitchen. I even reversed it for some—the kitchen on the second level; the bedroom/bathroom in the basement. (That idea actually works well for villagers who live on a beach during the summer.)

The game is redundant. But, that’s okay. Just knowing this lets someone, who does not yet have it, become aware that this is a part of ”Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer.” The real reason to get the game is this: If you have an interest in some decorating, to make homes attractive, “Happy Home Designer” should be stimulating enough for you to play. And another benefit is that you don’t have a clock, as you do in “New Leaf,’ requiring you to have to be conscious of time. No villagers move away. No worries about bed hair and a town becoming messy because you hadn’t played in a while. Play “Happy Home Designer” and not play it again for another year—it’s all good.

I got it a couple of months ago and would play it religiously for a few weeks.

It just got repetitive, and it wasn't that fun anymore. I do enjoy seeing screenshots of what people do, they get really creative with making designs and just decorating villagers homes' in general. It inspires me to always make my ACNL houses a little more thought out.

Last edited:
I feel like with HHD I got a lot of ideas on how I wanted to arrange my furniture in New Leaf. As others have said, it does get repetitive, but I still do think it is fun and almost a bit more satisfying than decorating in New Leaf because of the ability to place furniture "in between" squares (if that makes sense ;-;?)

I feel like with HHD I got a lot of ideas on how I wanted to arrange my furniture in New Leaf. As others have said, it does get repetitive, but I still do think it is fun and almost a bit more satisfying than decorating in New Leaf because of the ability to place furniture "in between" squares (if that makes sense ;-;?)

I know exactly what you're talking about! So many times in ACNL I've wanted to position things in that half square kind of way.
Also, putting things on the center of tables.

I really liked the challenges and since my girlfriend also had the game, we kinda had mini competitions going on and compared our homes a lot. I liked the character creation and wish, that the core game had that as well.

I liked being able to decorate so much but after a while, it got old and I started to play less and less. Like others here have said, it was really repetitive.

I really like the game. I had the most fun designing the town's shops and businesses. I'm not that creative when it comes to yards, so I usually just plop down trees and flowers. LOL. But I really try to make nice rooms for the villagers. :blush:

I think the game is fun, and it has some features that I wish ACNL had! That being said, I just don't find myself sinking hours and hours into it the way I do with ACNL. I usually get so bored of it so quickly, and can only play it for like an hour or 2 at a time before dropping it due to boredom :(

I never played the game but I say its boring because I looked at videos of the game and its stupid boring. So I'll never play Happy Home Designer and anyways I'm not a fan of Animal Crossing.
I don't need to play the game to find out if its fun or boring, because I can already tell its boring.

Back