• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo Switch General Discussion

Wait what are you talking about, the game data is not tied to when you've last played the game as far as I know... You need to archive software yourself which deletes all data except for save data so you can free up some space while keeping your in-game progress if you wish to play the game later.

But maybe there's something I'm missing

I haven't archived that software. Plus both these games I bought the retail versions of. I think the best I can do is show a screenshot of my Data Management screen to be honest.

EDIT: Here it is. As you can see this photo is of my data management on my Switch:

https://imgur.com/Y66Wyrp

Last edited:
I haven't archived that software. Plus both these games I bought the retail versions of. I think the best I can do is show a screenshot of my Data Management screen to be honest.

EDIT: Here it is. As you can see this photo is of my data management on my Switch:

Oh yeah maybe those games store the save data on the cartridge? I'm not really sure why it says 0.0 MB but it's the same on my Switch and I assure you that your Switch won't be exploding or something.

Oh yeah maybe those games store the save data on the cartridge? I'm not really sure why it says 0.0 MB but it's the same on my Switch and I assure you that your Switch won't be exploding or something.

I would be a VERY unhappy camper if my Switch exploded xD But I doubt that's the case. Interestingly enough, under Manage/Delete Save Data it shows actual file sizes for the save data. I'm probably just gonna write this off as a visual glitch.

My best guess is that those games probably don’t have patches so therefore don’t take up any space on the system (besides save files)

My best guess is that those games probably don’t have patches so therefore don’t take up any space on the system (besides save files)

Unlike 3DS, a save data from both physical and digital games are exclusively stored in internal storage, until September 2018 with the introduction of cloud storage.

@EvilTheCat6600: Have you tried forcing a system reboot, by holding the power button down and select that option? I think this is a small glitch that could be resolved that way.

Last edited:
Unlike 3DS, a save data from both physical and digital games are exclusively stored in internal storage, until September 2018 with the introduction of cloud storage.

@EvilTheCat6600: Have you tried forcing a system reboot, by holding the power button down and select that option? I think this is a small glitch that could be resolved that way.

It may be a glitch but it's definitey not solved by rebooting your system, I have this ''glitch'' as well.

I plan on getting a Switch sometime this year. Can you explain to me the mechanics of cloud storage (how it would work) for the Switch, and are there any good deals out there right now for a Switch (US resident)?

Last edited:
I plan on getting a Switch sometime this year. Can you explain to me the mechanics of cloud storage (how it would work) for the Switch, and are there any good deals out there right now for a Switch (US resident)?

Nintendo hasn't told us everything about how cloud storage works, but I'll assume it copies your save file to Nintendo's cloud storage server. If at any point you accidentally lose/overwrite your save file, you can retrieve the data back.

Though, this feature is only accessible if you have an active paid Nintendo Switch Online subscription. The price goes up to $20 USD for 12 months, and $34.99 for a family membership. The latter lets you share your subscription to 7 more Nintendo accounts of your choice.

Since the Switch was only out for less than 2 years, you'll have a hard time finding a good enough deal. You could theoretically save just a tiny bit by importing a dockless Switch from My Nintendo Store in Japan, but you won't be able to play on TV and you'll need to track down for an AC Adapter.

Source 1: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/pricing/

Seeking for pre-owned Switch games? You might want to acknowledge that it's possible to have your console restricted from online access (with the exception of updating games and firmware), just by using a legit physical copy of a game that was pirated.

If you buy games brand-new and/or download them through eShop, you'll be completely fine.

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ine_features_for_suspected_pirated_game_carts

Last edited:
What is the quality of multiplayer on the Switch*? I've wanted to pick up BotW and Odyssey for the longest time but I've been weary of buying new consoles since I hardly got use out of the Wii U (I traded it in before BotW's release to get more value). If I pick up friendcodes here and ideas for other games I'd consider it again.

*This goes hand in hand with the question 'how different is Splatoon 2?'

What is the quality of multiplayer on the Switch*? I've wanted to pick up BotW and Odyssey for the longest time but I've been weary of buying new consoles since I hardly got use out of the Wii U (I traded it in before BotW's release to get more value). If I pick up friendcodes here and ideas for other games I'd consider it again.

This is something I’m wandering too. I plan on picking up a Switch sometime before the end of the year (mainly for Smash Bros.), but I want to know how good the multiplayer/online services are and how often people play in them.

To answer your question a bit, I think it was revealed earlier this year that the online services for the Switch will be changed to a paid subscription (which sucks) in order to keep the services running. I’m just hoping that this subscription would actually help their servers run smooth and well for online play, because otherwise I’m going to wait even longer for a Switch (which I might).

Yeah, I heard about that. I don't think they'd price gouge but it makes it even harder to justify given I play videogames sporadically and spread between a couple of (old) systems. Didn't they also want to make the virtual console equivalent a paid sub?

Yeah, I heard about that. I don't think they'd price gouge but it makes it even harder to justify given I play videogames sporadically and spread between a couple of (old) systems. Didn't they also want to make the virtual console equivalent a paid sub?

It is unfortunate. I’m not sure about that last part with the VC. I think you’ll have to ask someone else here who is more knowledgeable about that area.

I personally love my Switch, and I did not regret getting it one bit. Super Mario Odyssey is amazing (so is BotW), and unlike the Wii U, the Switch is growing quite the library, both first and third-party. There's Splatoon 2, Octopath Traveler, Skyrim, DOOM, Wolfenstein II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Paladins, Bayonetta 1/2, Fire Emblem Warriors and much more, including Pkemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and a NEW Smash Bros. game coming December 7th. There's even plenty, and I mean PLENTY, of good indie games. Plus, you can take all those games ON THE GO! I have a Wii U, and I can safely say that the Switch is MILES TIMES BETTER! More power and portability make for a pretty good system.

Now, as for the online, it depends. Nintendo does not have dedicated servers for their games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2. This means that the games rely on Player-To-Player, so the connection depends on that of each player's internet. As said before, the online paid service is coming, and while paying sucks, you pay 20$~ for the whole year (compared to PS4 and Xbox, this is lovely) and you get some NES (whether it's a handful each month or a whole library, like Xbox's Game Pass, is beyond me).

For Splatoon 2, it depends on what you mean by different. The core mechanics are still there. Splatfests are still there, and there's new content being spewed out each month until the end of the year. In Splatoon 2, however, there are more weapons and more KINDS of weapons. The specials are less game-changing and more balanced (If you liked the Kraken, RIP). Getting the abilities you want for your gear is much easier, and now it contains a Zombie-like mode called Salmon Run (it's reallyyyyyy fun and HARD SOMETIMES). There's a new Ranked mode called Clam Blitz (it's rumored that there's more to come), which is where you throw clams that are scattered everywhere into your enemy's basket. And finally, my personal favourite, there is purchasable DLC which is a single player campaign called "Octo Expansion," where you can play through 80 difficult challenges as an Octoling, so if you purchase that, you'll be much happier than sticking to the still-kind-of-easy-but-better-than-Splatoon-1's single player mode.

Is Splatoon 2 different? As I said, it depends. I personally see it as a brand new game, but that's also because I haven't played the predecessor in over a year. I think there's enough content to make it new and improved. If you liked the first one, you'll LOVE the second one.

I hope all this makes your decision a little bit easier. Hope I helped!

Last edited:
Thanks for the Splatoon 2 info! I looked into the modes you mentioned and it sounds fun (but also ink-redibly expensive considering base game + DLC + paid sub to do anything - It's $100 out the gate!). I don't want to harp on cost so frequently but for one game?
And I've heard spectacular things about DOOM and think it would be valuable to play on a console.

I thought Octopath Traveller was the name for the Splatoon DLC lol, I'll look into that too.

But other than that, uh...I've played Skyrim before, told myself I wouldn't play the modern FE game until I play Awakening (which I keep putting off), AFAIK none of the indie games the console's known for are exclusive, Let's Go is Let's Go, and I have no interest in Smash until they reveal a story mode with at least the scope of Subspace. Your summary of the library isn't far off from the tally I had in my head, but it's nice to have the breakdown in text. I can see why the Switch would be a boon for people with weaker PCs but I think I'm going to wait longer. : )

Edit: You know what would make me buy it? Heckin' Wind Waker HD port : D
And Animal Crossing

Last edited:
Honestly, I feel like all the HD Zelda ports that were on Wii U should come to Switch! Like HELLO???? Not everyone got to play them, and I would LIVE for Twilight Princess on the go.

For Animal Crossing, I'm perplexed. It's been over 5 years since ACNL, and I feel like Nintendo thinks they can make us wait because they released Pocket Camp, which is no where near as fun. It's a huge system seller, yet we don't even know if they are even making one. The series is AMAZING, and yet we may not even get one in the near future.

I would also like to have Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, as I, among many other people, did not get a chance to play it. But ONLY if they have English voice acting. Xenoblade Chronicles X would be another good port, as I played it but got no where close to finishing.

Last edited:
When they release Animal Crossing on switch i wonder if we have to subscribe to nintendo switch online to play with friends? if so, it will really suck. the console is expensive enough, they want more money from us.....$19.99 a year....

Thanks for the Splatoon 2 info! I looked into the modes you mentioned and it sounds fun (but also ink-redibly expensive considering base game + DLC + paid sub to do anything - It's $100 out the gate!). I don't want to harp on cost so frequently but for one game?
And I've heard spectacular things about DOOM and think it would be valuable to play on a console.

I thought Octopath Traveller was the name for the Splatoon DLC lol, I'll look into that too.

But other than that, uh...I've played Skyrim before, told myself I wouldn't play the modern FE game until I play Awakening (which I keep putting off), AFAIK none of the indie games the console's known for are exclusive, Let's Go is Let's Go, and I have no interest in Smash until they reveal a story mode with at least the scope of Subspace. Your summary of the library isn't far off from the tally I had in my head, but it's nice to have the breakdown in text. I can see why the Switch would be a boon for people with weaker PCs but I think I'm going to wait longer. : )

Edit: You know what would make me buy it? Heckin' Wind Waker HD port : D
And Animal Crossing

Also to add on Splatoon 2, they added a lotta quality of life features (although you still can't skip the newsflash) and the general gameplay is a lot smoother and more polished overall. Also the jump up to 1080p resolution compared to Splatoon's 720p is actually a pretty big difference too.

- - - Post Merge - - -

When they release Animal Crossing on switch i wonder if we have to subscribe to nintendo switch online to play with friends? if so, it will really suck. the console is expensive enough, they want more money from us.....$19.99 a year....

Animal Crossing will for sure require a Nintendo Switch Online subscription. Try to find some friends who also have a Switch, you can get a yearly subscription for up to eight people for $35, which comes down to less than $5 a year per person. Makes it a lot less painful.

Only for these 2 games it's totally worth it. They are both amazing. And with AC Switch in the near future, it will not be a bad buy.

Back