• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

(Update) Switch gone, Game gone, Motivation gone

Fey

Nook Inc.’s Pet 🐇
Bells
Switch
8009-1850-5418
White Violet
Purple Violet
Ruby
White Violet
Purple Violet
Lobo
I hope this is allowed, because I need a place to vent and maybe even get some advice:

Yesterday, my Switch was stolen through a truly convoluted string of events. I would’ve cried if I hadn’t been so confused by the whole situation.

For those who didn’t come across my last thread, I’d just finally gotten back into the game with a new Island. Now, I don’t know what to do. I already got a replacement because it was ultimately someone else’s mistake, but I’m not sure I’m ready to start over again. Though it was only 1 1/2 months old, I really, really loved my Island. The map, villagers, progress, emotional attachment—everything. Saying I’m devastated isn’t an overstatement.

My partner and I had founded our Islands simultaneously, on a for us significant date. Restarting now, on a different date, just hurts. What do I do? While I still want to play the game, I’m finding myself so demotivated and directionless.

Part of me wants to go back to the same date and play from there, but another is worried that being desynced from real time will feel fake and wrong.

I’m at such a loss of what to do that I keep putting off making a decision—if anyone has some advice, I could really use a push to get started somehow 🌈

71606B8D-5A6F-434D-B916-839B40BD9037.jpeg

(last picture I’d saved off my Switch)

EDIT: I’m sorry for writing up something so melodramatic. People have been reaching out offering stuff, and I want to make it really clear that I’m not asking for or even needing anything. This was just me venting, processing, and maybe—god this is embarrassing—looking for some sympathy and encouragement
*´ェ`*

Last edited:
That really sucks; I'm so sorry you've lost your island. ❤️ Your last photo is really sweet, and I hope you can find the motivation to start again! If or when you decide to restart, if you'd like any help with items, NMT or bells, just DM me! I'd be happy to help! 😊

What a horrible thing to happen. I can understand how easy it is to grow sentimental over things like this, and how upsetting of a loss it can be, even if at the end of the day, it's just bits of data on a video game console. It's never happened with an Animal Crossing game specifically, but I do recall losing games due to family PC's breaking or someone stealing my cartridge or memory card, and then feeling completely de-motivated to start over again.

Unfortunately, I think the only way of moving on is to just... move on. Take some time off if you need to, no need to force yourself. But I think eventually you'll be able to start a new island and to learn to love it just as much as your old one. It's one of those things that just takes a little bit of time. The hardest part, in my experience, is getting started. But once you do get started and get back into the routine, I think you'll be fine. And absolutely feel free to take up any trade offers you can, because this game is quite a pain to start from scratch.

The only real advice I can give you, perhaps, is to try to make your next island unique. Don't try to make a replacement for your old island; that's just going to frustrate you when it fails to live up to those expectations.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I definitely would have cried. No shame in that.

I'm guessing you didn't have online or island backup enabled? Because if it's in the cloud somewhere, maybe Nintendo support can help since it's a case of a lost Switch. I'm really hoping you can recover it.

I can imagine it's tough to start over, but give it a shot. It won't be the same island, but maybe you'll like it just as much or more as time goes on. It gives you the chance to 'fix' anything you may have had doubts about your original island. As for the date and syncing... you can always go back and create the island on your original date, and then time travel forward to today. That way the creation date stays the same, but you'll be synced to real time.

Everyone has already given you great suggestion so I won't repeat myself but I say if you feel like you need a time to clear your head I would recommend a break. Don't force yourself to start a new game I say you should only start a new game when you don't feel like you have to. I don't know if this is going to help but if you do start a new game I would create something new and that would "honor" the previous island (in a very subtle way). If it hurts remembering that island just forget my advise but personally I like to remember what I lost and find a way to celebrate what good came from it. Most of it is gone but not the memories and feelings you have towards the experience, you probably have screenshots and videos too. All those things in my opinion are still very alive and no one can steal that from you. If you can do something with that be it on the island or in a more artistic fashion I say go ahead but if you feel it's going to make you feel worse don't. Different people deal with things differently so only consider the advise you feel will resonate with the person you are. I wish you the best.

… I could really use a push to get started somehow 🌈

(last picture I’d saved off my Switch)

A beautiful picture!

(I have Reneigh on my island. She is great!)

My advice: Take a break for a while. Perhaps a month. And see, then, how you will feel.

If you decide to return…you can do so when you are feeling truly good about it again.

what a horrible thing to have happened!! im so sorry!
everyone on here has great advice for you; things that i was thinking myself.
take a break if you need to, and like aria nook violet said, "take a break" if you feel like you need too, and turn it into a positive when you return. BIG HUG!!!

That is so sad and horrible that someone stole your switch. Its okay to be sad about it because you should never feel ashamed about having feelings for something because that means it mattered to you. I hope you can play again one day but I would also be so sad if my town was deleted. That picture is really pretty 🌞

I'm so sorry to hear that. I take it the island wasn't backed up the island on Nintendo's online cloud system either?

I think people here have made some great suggestions. Definitely take a break, and see how you feel later about restarting another island. Hopefully, that will help.

I’m very sorry to hear. I HATE thieves. I know you said your motivation is gone, but I hope someday you make an island even more awesome than the last. :)

Might I ask was there anything significant about the date?

ya know what fey? if youre online with your switch, i can come over and bring you prezzies...i know it wont help but it might make you feel a little better about starting up a new game :)

@themysterybidder, @S.J., @Belle T, @cocoacat, @Aria Nook Violet, @Candy83, @xxcodexx, @Mr_Keroppi, @Flicky, @Dim

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post and offer advice! I wish I could respond to you all individually, but I’ve never been too good at that. Still, I really appreciated your posts and feel a bit better having read them.

I kept debating starting up the game today, but I think I’ll do what many here have suggested and take a bit of time first.

To answer some questions, no, I unfortunately didn’t upload it to the Cloud. We’d actually just gotten Nintendo Online set up again recently, so of course I’m kicking myself now for not making a backup when I had the chance.

The date is significant in the sense that it was the summer solstice, which is my favorite day and coincidentally also an anniversary with my bf.

Again, even if/when I do restart, I don’t think I’ll be needing any items. If anybody really does want to stop by with a present though, I’d love to just have a few bags of your Island’s native flower. The landscaping on my previous Island was something I ended up being quite proud of—knowing the flowers on my new one came from all over would be pretty neat and meaningful 🌷

What an awful to have happen! :(

I remember when I was a kid. I lost my GameCube cartridge with my AC save on, I was gutted. I never did start again. Too much time was lost for me.

Reactions: Fey
SMALL UPDATE

I’ll keep this short but sweet:
I started up a new Island and couldn’t be happier 🏝

I found my old map twice while resetting:

The first I passed on because I didn’t like the fruit, airport color, or villagers…

…the second greeted me with my previous starters, Reneigh and Rod!

I think all the tears I held back when my Switch was stolen just flooded out of me lol

Thank you to everyone who checked in, reached out, and offered support. Seriously, I’m not sure I would’ve tried again so soon if I hadn’t posted here! You’re all Bells 🌟

A9662500-C49E-4BC9-9A5C-6A1645FD260C.jpeg

(starter besties back together!)

I am delighted for you @Fey! If you need anything don't hesitate to send me a message! I would love to donate some items to you. :)

Last edited:
SMALL UPDATE

The first I passed on because I didn’t like the fruit, airport color, or villagers…

I think all the tears I held back when my Switch was stolen just flooded out of me lol

Thank you to everyone who checked in, reached out, and offered support. Seriously, I’m not sure I would’ve tried again so soon if I hadn’t posted here! You’re all Bells 🌟

View attachment 450398

What good luck (or persistence) that you were able to get Reneigh and Rod again! I'm so happy for you! Good luck with your new island, and of course, just PM if there's anything I can do to help! 😊🎉

I am so so sorry that happened to you :(

There is some terrible people in this world. I can understand where you are coming from not wanting to start again after loosing your island I would just take a bit of time away from the game to clear your mind.

Do not have negativity towards this game do not let horrible people ruin the love you have for this game.

I run a small shop on here filled with materials, bells and some nook mile items that I would love to give you to help when you restart your island :) 💜

I am so sorry to hear that somebody would steal something precious from you. It's truly a cruel thing to do. But I am glad to hear that you have been able to recover from the whole ordeal.

SMALL UPDATE

View attachment 450398
AHHH!!!! I’m so stoked you got your starters back and are happy with a new island. I too would have been big mad and disappointed and unmotivated. Hopefully this island will be everything you want it to be!

Back